Thrush and Magic Mouth Wash

Does Magic Mouth Wash treat Thrush? If so, which ingredient in the mouth wash treats the Thrush since each Magic Mouth Wash prescription is a doctor's own formula.

Thanks!

7 replies. Join the discussion

Nystatin

I used arm and hammer baking soda and peroxide toothpaste, brushed my tongue and made a mouth wash of 50% water and 50% peroxide. cleared it up in a couple days. Couldn't stand the magic mouth wash.

If you have thrush, using a liquid prescription called Nystatin or a pill called Dyflucan will clear it up. Both need a prescription from your Doctor. Hope this helps.
Marylou ♥

Thanks for the info!

FYI thrush is caused by the same fungus that causes vaginal yeast infections. Therefore it must be treated with a fungicide like Nystatin or Difulcan. Magic mouthwash is used to control mouth and esophageal pain.
Cheryll

I used to suffer horribly after treatment with tiny white sores in my mouth and throat. Hurt...brought me to tears. Prescribed Nystatin liquid...horrid to administer. Then the answers came!

Fluconazole 200MG tablets.

At first, we followed directions, taking the first of 7 tablets right after treatment. Still got hit. So we figured it out. My treatments were Monday through Wednesday. On Tuesday morning, I took the first of 7 tablets, following through with the next 6 on the next 6 days. Never had the tiniest spot in my mouth or throat again! I told my onc what I was doing and he approved.

One less yucky thing to deal with! :-)

Thanks so much. My dad hasn't experienced thrush or mouth sores yet. He just received his first Taxotere infusion this week, but I wanted to be prepared. This site has been a wealth of information for me.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders