throwing up blood lung cancer

I found this site by using google there was a discussion here on this topic but its been closed. I loss my father more then two years ago of lung cancer. Some of the things I have learned really confused me. Like the actual lung cancer was a tumor that was outside the lung I had always thought it was inside the lungs my father was a smoker and died at the young age of 63, his elder sister also died of lung cancer at the age of 59. The one thing that bothers till this very day is that his oncologyst warned about the blood well my father made it from his couch to his front porch 20 feet and he was gone. He was throwing up blood in massive amounts that filled a 20 gallon bucket by the time he made it to his lawn chair on the porch my father was gone. Its been more then two years and I still think of what he must have been thinking when all that happened. His Oncologyst I feel should have been more honest & tell their patients and those family members the warnings. I personally think that the radation treatment my father had gotten he was burned bad so bad they had to put a shunt into his bronchular tube cause the treatments burnt a hole. But that night is still a mysterey to me & I wish to learn what happened with my father I know it had to have been something major like an artery cause he was gone with in seconds.

22 replies. Join the discussion

I am so sorry Tammy that 2 years later you are still seeking answers. Unfortunately without and autopsy no one would know exactly where your father bleed out from. There are a few possibilities depending onwhere
the tumors or radiation damage was,

I worry about about you still obsessed with how and what after two years. I may be wrong(been many times before) but have you focused or how/why and not given yourself the opportunity to grieve.

Grieving the loss of a loved one is so important. We will always remember, but the pain lessens over time. I will pray for you relief from the pain of your loss.

I am sure many here will have better answers for you. Please take care of yourself

I have decided to go back to the homestead to get my hands on his CT and MRI film, and his records from the Oncologyst that treated him. It's to late for a autopsy though at the time I wanted one but I didn't know at the time me being his daughter I could have requested it be done. My opinion his Oncologyst had not been quite forth coming on the warning signs to both my parent's. What I do know is that he had been severely burnt from the radiation treatment from the back of his throat down into his right bronchular tube. We did not know he was this burnt till he choked on a piece of chicken they had to take him into emergency surg which they found a hole in his right broncular tube where the original tumor had been. When he was first diganosed this tumor was like someones hand wrapped around this right broncular tube. What they did to my father scares to crap out of me too I myself am high risk for cancer WHY do radiation if its only going to cause more pain?

There are many reasons that bleeding can occur. And since we do not have that information it is impossible for us to help you with this at this time.

My Mark experienced bleeding in various degrees for a several months. His doctor did warn us of the possibility and was downright frank about how fast it could be. Are you sure the doctor did not discuss this with your parents. I know as a parent I would not discuss this kind of conversation with my children. Your parents may have chosen to spare you this concern or burden. I know we did not share this possibility with our children.

Sounds like you need answers in order to get closure about your fathers death. Maybe a conversation with your family could help?

Hope you find what you need to find peace with this.

Dawn

That kind of over-all radiation is really hard on all the organs, which is why CyberKnife--a highly-focused radiation treatment that only hits the target tumor--is becoming a realistic alternative.

Wish you didn't have all those memories. Sounds like your dad's main pulmonary artery had been burnt, and that the last vestige of tissue holding the artery together gave way suddenly at one point. Sorry....

My mother knows just as much as I do unless when my father was back there alone he himself might have been forth coming but knowing who my father was I doubt he would have done that. Two weeks before he passed away he had been told in late August to go home enjoy the upcoming holidays & relax. He was warned about the blood and to rush to the ER but during his last Chemo treatment when he had been coughing his tube was trying to come out. My concern is knowing that this radiation does this kind of damage why isn't something else given to help heal the burns no one sees on the inside. My mother suffers from PTSD she has had it the hardest out of all of us cause she is the one who seen him pass away. I think that when I really come to terms with the answer that will be my closure for me. I can't talk to my mother about this because it will only depress her even more and I am glad I have found this site.

tammy - I have never seren that in a lung cancer patient - but my best friend (may she RIP) died from Myia Lya Sarcoma (sp?) a rare blood cancer and she drowned basically in her own blood - never heard of it happening to a LC patient - but let us know - how horrible....
karen

Dear Tammy,
It is quite possible his tumor was wrapped around a major artery, or the cancer itself ate into an artery.
It is an odd thing to say, but some of us who do have cancer would rather not know all the details.
I for one am one of them.
I also am a Registered nurse who knows much too much for my own liking.
I was terrified to hear all of the bad things that could, and might happen.
In fact right now we are having this same kind of issue with another member who is terrified of bleeding to death.
I think a doctor has 2 options,
One to tell a patient and be honest, and get reamed out by them including me for telling my own oncologist what I thought of his candor.
He scared the hell out of me with his honest opinion...
As is the case with this member I just mentioned.
Then there is other oncologist who does not forewarn his patients, because he feels he is not a God and does not have all of the answers..
One thing I would like to say to you is don't blame yoruself for a thing..
You can t know everything there is to know, the docs don't know all the answers either.
God bless you, I hope you can find some peace..and let this all rest.
There is not a thing you can do about any of it now anyway.
If you want to put to good use all you have learned from your dads journey into cancer, maybe being on here and lightening, and talking with others having the same kind of grief you do, will help you ,and someone else.
Sometimes just hearing from another person, a similar occurrence can ease your won mind.
I hope, and pray this for you.
Sandy

Yes, this has been a learning experience for me on the effects of treatment for Cancer. I went to my fathers very first appointment to his oncologyst the first thing he said to us is that his treatment was not a cure & I had known then death was coming & I just couldn't imagine how my father must have felt inside hearing that. Its been over two years & I still live with trying to move past these thoughts but it has been hard. But after seeing what my father went through has educated me enough to seek out other options thank you all for your kind responses I truely hope that one day I might have them answers where I can move on.

Dear Tammy,I too am a retired RN.There are many ways to die of lung cancer,and only some are peaceful.It wouldn't really do any good to tell a patient all of the possible events.You share he was warned about bleeding and to go to the ER but with the massive bleedyou describe there wasn't time it sounds like.If a really big artery ruptures patients in a hospital sometimes can't be treatred in time to stop it.I know that to say this is pretty graphic,but I think maybe mom or you may even feel some guilt.Please don't .With this disease we choose options and hope they work.But the Chemo,surgery,and radiation all carry risks that are harsh and sometimes take us out instead of the disease itself.# weeks after my upper RT lobectomy,I landed back in the hospitalwith,Pneumonia,the atrial fibrillation,I developed as a side effect of the surgery was so unstable that it put me on a cardiac unit for 9 hours before I stabilized,A COPD excerbation,and 20lbs of fluid excess.Stayed 8 days.It took me 5 months to go back to work.Now I do pretty good but am Stage $.I knew there were risks to the surgery but never grasped that due to the organ shift,I could get Atrial fibrillation,tho they listed lots of risks.Your Daddy was a brave man who took risks to fight cancer because he loved you all so much.Keep visiting here and you will see how tough it can be but how worth it the treatments can be.Even this long after your fathers death the onc maybe willing to see you.Some bill an appointment some don't but it might be worth it.Hope this helps.I sat outside and watched a lot of bird families today.It's relaxing,Prayer for you and mom's peace of mind.AndiB

Tammy,
I pray that you and your mom can find some peace in your dads passing. He is in a better palce, and as stated above his bleed out could have been caused by any number of things. Please try to finally put this to rest, and move on with your lifes. Your Dad would not want to continue to dwell on his passing like this.

It has been much harder on my mother she witnessed him drowning in his own blood I know it was probablely how he would have chosen to go a quick death instead of slowly dying in a hospital bed with his experiences and finding this site has educated me. I guess for me apart of my pain is the guilt I couldn't get to them quick enough. I know my father is in a better place now no more pain or suffering. He fought really hard he himself thought he had this LC beat. I do hold some anger toward the Onc but I do plan on going back home making that appointment to talk to him to maybe get my own closure. Is it normal for radiation treatments to severely burn their insides that bad? I guess I never realized how harsh some of these treatments are. Thank you all for your opinions it has kind of helped me. In a way I kind of feel a lot better I am not totally at peace till I have a talk with his Onc and primary care doctor. Thank you all again.

so sorry for u & your Dad!! My husband was spitting up blood, cancr of lung & esophagus, bleeding stopped aftr 8 treatments but throat closed. waited 12 days had1 & coughed up blood so he quit treatments. Pulmonary Dr had told us he could hav a complete bleedout within mon. thats was on jan. 26. we r doing som alternatives. no way to no if they r working, but r scared to death. don't no what to expect. Doug felt the radiation was killing him. yes they can fry u. they did a friend of ours las oct. his immune system was gon & they kept nuking him. lawyrs told his wife all they did was shorten his life. Its all about money. they don't want to cure u! Its a conspiracy!!

cyberknife is what nuked my friend to death las oct.

they don't chk patients to see whats going on. thats what disturbed my husband. they were going to do 35 treatments wait a month to do scan to no if it was working. all bout the money!! Yes Tammy it was a blessing your dad went quicky!! As hard as it was for the family. for yourself best thing u can do is start learning bout alternative meds. prevention is key too. Rick Simpson Run from the Cure, utube. grattude healing.com. Gherson therapy, we r doing LDN & DCA protocol cuddles53 did.

Dear DigumDoug,

What happened to your friend? What were they trying to treat?

Was the CyberKnife done by one of the recognized cancer treatment centers, or one of the "CyberKnife" centers that have sprung up the last couple of years?

We will ask at the Simmons Cancer Center tomorrow how this could happen, because my husband will soon be having CK there.

Scary..

Don had lung cancr then with treatments it still went to brain & spine. he was at St marys, Huntington WV when this happened. they were radiating tumor in lung 1st. His wife said he had no wh blood cells but they nuked him anyway. Radiation works for up to month aftr treatment stops.

Dear Digumdoug,

Are you sure it was CyberKnife? It usually doesn't do anything to the immune system because it is so tightly focused just on the tumor. YOu may be thinking of stereotactic radiation (SRS) in general, which also includes a broad, very harmful radiation treatment that nearly killed my husband and has left him with permanent radiation pneumonitis--he is very short of breath all the time.

My husband has had GammaKnife treatments for 14 brain mets right in the middle of chemo without any problems, except for temporary side effects associated with removal of two >2" tumors at the same time.

I am sure the head CK oncologist at my husband's cancer treatment center, Dr. Timmerman, would like to know more about any serious problems about CyberKnife.

i'll chk with my friend & ask her what happened to Don for sure!

I do know that the radiation my father recieved was so severe the surgeon said either the cancer itself ate a hole through his bronchular tube or it was the radiation where this hole was at it was exactly where the original tumor was. We only learned about the cyberknife two weeks before he died & we never got the chance to even investigate cyberknife treatments. I am pretty sure that what ever happened to my father it had to have been a main artery & in the area where he was getting this radiation treatment he was burnt from the back of his throat down to his right bronchular tube, esaphagus, and tracea. We didn't learn about how severe it was when he had a piece of chicken stuck in his throat and they took him into surgery to remove it. I didn't realize that radiation would also burn you up so bad

If these techs and Oncologsyt know that over use of these radiation treatments are that harsh why don't they monitor them on a weekly basis to see what kind of damage they are actually doing. I think my father would have been around much longer if that radiation treatment he got had not burned him so bad & in the area where he was burned there are main arteries there. I think some of you are right its about the GREEN stuff until it happens to them or one of their own family members

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders