The cost of Tarceva

No one is discussing the cost for Tarceva. My husband has been prescribed Tarceva after Alimta stopped work and we do not qualify for assistance because they say we make too much money. People need to realize the more money you make, the more you spend such on housing, cars, etc. before cancer was diagnosed. With the economy the way it is now, very few people can get loans. How are the rest of you who are on Tarceva paying for it.

19 replies. Join the discussion

I'm curious. How much does Tarceva cost?

Al

CVS said it's $4800 for 30 pills. But my insurance pays for it. So I paid $30 copay each month.

they told me $2,400.00 for 30 days - my insurance covers it and I pay $10.00
I hate to think that anyone would have to pay the full price out of pocket - that's just not right !!!!!!

Do you have insurance? Getting turned down is routine for them for this type of drug. I turned it in, and when I was rejected, then the doctors office sent the information to prove their case for prescribing Tarceva.

I went from freaking out over $5000 a month to getting a year, no copay.

I had insurance policy (Bluecross Blueshield) that put a $3000 cap on my prescriptions per year. When I was put on Tarceva was surprised to learn about this. I'd never heard about insurance co making this a part of a policy. It didn't even cover the 1st month of Tarceva. We made $2000 over limit for financial assistance through drug co. and they wouldn't even consider helping us. That left us with no choice but to pay for Tarceva out of our pocket. We spent $60,000 until my Medicare kicked in. We still have not recovered financially from this and it has significantly changed our lifestyle. It has placed a lot of stress on me. We have 2 young children so I worry about them and how this affects their future. My husband says it was worth every penny spent because it has kept me alive. Cancer sucks!

Have you tried looking for a clinical trial that includes Tarceva? You shouldn't have any out-of-pocket costs if you're in one. Might be a good alternative. Wishing you the best. Take care, Judy

The company that makes Tarceva will provide it after a small out of pocket. Income is not a factor.Go to the official web site. My cancer center has case workers that find financial help for unaffordable meds. Ask your oncologist for assistance from his office. Mine was $3900 per month after discount . Ins. paid it all.
Janice

My insurance company pay for it. They say it costs $4,500 for thirty pills. I just pay a $25 co-pay.

Hi! My mom got assistance from www.cancercare.org for her Tarceva at her oncologist's recommendation. Insurance covered a tiny part, but Mom's portion was a lot (over $1000 per month). Cancercare is covering Mom's portion. Mom is not "loaded", she is retired but she does have some savings and annuities so it doesn't seem to me like they only help people at the poverty line, for example.

Good luck. It took a couple of weeks start to finish to get this set up. The Cancer Care people were very nice and helpful.

Mine was 3200 a month of which I had to pay almost 700.00. We took out a second mortgage to cover the cost of 2 and1/2 years of Tarceva. You should have access to a patient advocate at wherever you are being treated and they should be able to help you find alternative payment options and drug company assistance.

Insurance paid mine untill I had to go on Medicare.Chronic Disease Fund gave me enough to get me through the donut hole now 189 a month.Tarceva is the only thing I have done since diagnosed Dec.07! Worth every dollar if it works for you!

I pay 20 % of my costs and my Insurance pays 80%.
I take Tarceva, 25 MG, 30 pills...$1,523.87.
I pay around $306.00 a month.
I feel terrible for Cancer patients whose insurance do not cover medication.
It's already devastating to get Cancer but when you add the stress of paying for treatment, it's enough to make anyone even more sick.
This subject makes me so angry. Sorry.
God Bless,
Alta

Hi,
My understanding is that to comply with the new federal health care reform law, insurance companies are now required to eliminate annual limits on pharmacy benefits. I'm not, however, sure about when this provision went into effect. Am I correct? I hope so!

I have an HSA account, so I have a $2,000.00 deductable, then a $ 1,500.00 co-pay . The most out of pocket in one year with Kaiser is $3,500.00. I was very fortunate to have a cancer policy with Aflac when I was dx, they are an awesome company. They send me a check every time I have IV chemo, radiation or get my Tarceva refilled. I tell all my friends that are healthy and working it is something to check out, great value for the small amount they took out of my check.

The tarrceza I am taking costs nothing.
The reason is that our AARP health pays for part and iget the pills through the apothecary shop in Phoenix,az. And they work with a non-profit group that picks up the balance of the cost excepty $200+ and since I have AFLAC cancer insurance they pay me directly the $200.
There are a number of these non-profit charitable groups.
They are called chronic disease funds. We heard about them through our tri-city wa. Cancer center.
If you need more information let me know.
My wife knows more about it (naturally) than I do.
I have been on the Tarceva for about seven months and it seems to be working.

Alta....are you saying that your dose of Tarceva is 25 mg. per day?....never heard of that low of a dose. Do you use it in combo with another drug? I am at 75 mg. and my onc. says he has never heard of anyone on that low of a dose remaining stable...as I am...cynthia from MO.

@ adoredogs and everyone else...
We learned that the insurance cap for medical with the new 'plan' is $700,000. HOWEVER, an insurer can go to the Feds and plead their case that such a limit would put 'undue burden' on the insurer and the limit can be reduced. Our insurance annual limit is still $200,000...won't go far with cancer txs. Last year our out of pocket $4000 and shortfall of the $200,000 has cost us around $25k, and that was only 6 months of tx after diagnosis...Charges from july - dec were over $500,000 but of course insurance has negotiated prices.
We have Cigna and are through a union...you would think they could do better. I see disability and medicare in our near future.
All this and cancer, too?
God Bless Us All,
liz

This is probably a minority view but I want to say it.

If someone is EGFR positive, Tarceva is an important drug with an impressive response rate of 60%. It is certaintly worth whatever the drug costs and one should do whatever is needed to get the drug.

For EGFR negative patients, the benefits are not clear. The EGFR drugs were approved before the full difference between the EGFR positive and negative groups was understood. For EGFR negative patients, I am not sure that any of the other available drugs, Gemzar, Taxol (depending on what was 1st and 2nd treatment) aren't as good. If someone has seen a published study saying that Tarceva is better than those drugs for third line treatment for EGFR negative patients, I would modify my view but I have not seen that study.

I rotor to say yesterday is that the chronic disease group
Wanted was a copy of our first page of our 2009 income tax.
As a side line I see you are from st. Louis. My great grandfather founded Ellsberg,mo..
My wife and I went there two years ago and went out to the families burial plot.
Thourghly enjoyed Missouri.
If you have any other questions or concerns let me know.

Weeds

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders