The BEST "non-potato" chips ever!

The people that know me here know I am a "fresh" food fanatiic... I eat a mostly raw diet (probably 90%) raw and so I am always on the prowl for healthy snacks that I ENJOY.

I ran across this recipe online and thought I'd give it a whirl. Drug the dehydrator out of the attic and started mixing up a batch of the BEST tasting HEALTHY chips I have ever eaten in my life...

They are made without ANY oil, and most all of the live enzymes stay intact so it's almost like eating raw foods :)

One of the drawbacks to eating alot of these chips is the sodium content in the raw, live, soya sauce... I omitted the extra sea salt the original recipe calls for because of this. (Since I don't eat salt on my foods, it tastes plenty salty to me without it...)

Here's the recipe and instructions to use with a dehydrator:

2 head Kale, Washed and Torn
¾ cup Tahini
¼ cup Nama Shoyu
½ cup Cider Vinegar
½ cup Water
2 scallions
1 clove garlic
1 lemon (juice of)
¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
¼ cup Fresh Parsley

Preparation:
Place kale in a large mixing bowl. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth to get a thick consistency. You may have to add more water. Pour over kale and mix thoroughly with your hands to coat the kale. You want this mixture to be really glued onto the kale.
Place kale onto a Teflex sheet (or parchment paper), on top of a mesh dehydrator screen, and dehydrate for 6 hours @ 115 degrees. Rotate kale occasionally to dry uniformly.

I didn't have any teflex sheets so I bought unbleached parchment sheets and they worked just fine. Any health food grocery store would have them.

And if you do not have a dehydrator, using an oven will work fine from what I have read online. The trick is to keep the oven temperature really, really low... (Most ovens, unless they're new) don't go below 200 degrees. That may be a problem because you do not want to "cook" your food (and heat destroys the delicate C and A vitamins). I have read you need to prop open the oven door to let air circulate through while drying.

A couple of notes:

Because this is Kale, it has alot of Vitamin "K" in it (along with vitamins C and A). Vitamin K can cause blood to clot. So while it may be tempting to eat an entire head of kale this way, it wouldn't be a smart thing to do. (Coumadin/Warfarin users please take note)

Secondly, the the Tahini sauce is made from sesame seeds... this is a GREAT source of protein, Vitamins E, folic acid (folate), selenium, magnesium, tryptophan (a calmative) and other vitamins and minerals, but the down side is it is very high in copper and copper is not our friend when battling lung cancer.

(On a side note, I take 25 mgs a day of zinc which helps chelate - get rid of - copper content in the body. That is for another discussion)

And thirdly, remember the Nama Shoyu is high in sodium...

It's just so hard to eat just a few! :)

I am most certainly NOT a pro when it comes to dehydrating foods. But this recipe is just too good to keep to myself :)

Mix with healthy black bean dip, hummus or salsa...mmmm the possibilities are endless!

God bless,
Ellen

Edited January 6, 2010 at 10:39 am

4 replies. Join the discussion

Sounds awesome.... I'll have to give it a try!
Thanks for sharing :)
Sue

Thanks so much for the recipe - I love chips, but almost never eat them so will definitely try this. Thanks for sharing.

A good friend of mine just told me days ago about doing this with Kale chips, and her recipe is almost identical! She wrote to use the oven, and I'm glad that you mentioned that because I don't own a dehydrator.
I can't WAIT to try this.

Sounds great! But your right, it would be hard to just eat a few!
Thanks for sharing once again :-)
Holly

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders