TARCEVA DIVAS AND DUDES

WELCOME NEWBEES DIVAS AND DUDES! How is everybody feeling???? I was very inspired by last weeks posts. I am tracking down my physical therapist. Any honey, I AM GOING TO SHAKE MY TAIL FEATHERS!!! Thank you all so very much!

Marie

86 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Marie, Glad you are feeling up to shaking those feathers. Stay warm.

Glad you are feeling like shaking your tail feathers Marie. My husband actually went outside and checked the antifreeze in our vehicle and after I bought some, he went back outside and put it in. This is the most he has been out of the house except for Dr. visits in the last 4 months. He is definitely feeling stronger since he has been off of the Alimta but the Tarceva rash is still bothering him. The Clindamycin doesn't seem to be helping much. I've been giving him Benedryl in the evening for the itching. That seems to be helping.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Becky

Becky,

Glad your Dude is moving around a bit more;) You can ask your doc about myocycline and doxymyacin (not sure of the spelling). There are more things to try for that stubborn rash. Let us know how you both are doing.

New York is having a heat wave 30 degrees today. YAY!!

Marie

Thank you Dear Diva Daisy!

It so great to have a normal winter day. Sunny and blue skies. It simply lifts the spirit!

Marie

Marie, what did they mix with the hair color when you had it done? I read it and can't remember Tarceva brain. Glad you are feeling better.
Robin

Marie,
My dad is going to start his first tx (Tarceva 150 mg) on Monday. The onc didn't really go into detail so I'm hoping to learn alot from these posts. (thank you). Is there a time of day he should take it, what should he have on hand (otc things) in case he needs something, also he is nervous about taking it. He hardly takes a tylenol for a headache. I told him he has to overcome his fears of meds because we will encounter many since this diagnosis. I appreciate everyone's input.
Many Thanks,
Callie (daddysgirl35).

Welcome Callie,

You are taking very good care of your daddy dude. We will help you too. Go to goggle TARCEVA SIDE EFFECT BUSTERS #1 #2. Suggestion from the divas and dudes over the last 2 years. Mostly over the counters products that helped us through uncomfortable situations.

We all take our tarceva @ all different times. NO EATING 2 HOURS BEFORE TARCEVA. WAIT 1HOUR BEFORE EATING. People usually take it at the same time each day so they don't forget to take it. So whatever works for dad's routine.

I do think most of us felt very scared of that first pill. Bare in mind that it is really a new beginning. A miracle drug. A tool that is really life saving.

You and Dad are most welcome in TARCEVALAND.
Here's wishing you a smooth journey.

Cheers!

Marie

Hi Robin,

Colorists have an ingredient to curve the side effect of itchy burning scalp. I think it is made by loreal but I do not know the exact name. My sclap is extremely sensitive So she use 6packs of that ingredient plus 6 packs of SWEET AND LOW! My scalp was perfect. I could not believe it! In other words equal parts. I am so thrilled I do not have to give that up.

Take care GORGEOUS!

Marie

Hi Callie. Welcome! These folks are the greatest! I just started Tarceva 2 days ago and believe me, I know how he feels. I was really scared.. have always been that way about new medicine. I was really down because I live alone and no one was here, but out of the blue, my grand-daughter stopped by and spent the first night with me. I'm having a little upper stomach discomfort but so far so good. :) After reading on here, I decided to get up around 5:30am take the tarceva and then go back to sleep for a couple of hours. Then I don't have to worry about the 3 hour window. :)

Divas and Dudes,
Its very hard for me to do this. And Marie knows my history pretty well. But I really need your help. I have been so depressed these last two weeks. I've has some unpleasent personal issues that came up and I think they triggered my fears. My Dad was very sick but is on the mend now. My hubby is now sick with the bug going around. Nothing happy going on. I don't know if you can help me. But I just cannot get out of this slump. I stay in bed all day. All I do is just care for my hubby make sure he eats. And I eat what I can so I can take my meds. I have a history of depression and its inherited. So much harder to deal with too. But I keep living in the shadow of cancer fear. I go next month to have my x-ray and blood work done. I worry that I won't be in remission still. I worry and worry 24/7. I will be seeing my Therapist on Tuesday. I did not go and see her last week and that may have had an impact on me for not going. I cannot blame any one but myself for this depression. I let it get hold of me. Now I can't shake it. I need you guys to try and help me. Share with me if you ever felt like I do. January has not been good to me. One thing after another has happen. There was nothing happy in my life except for the love of my hubby which I am grateful for. And its been so cold here that you can't just go out in it and take a walk. Too cold for me. Sorry for venting but I needed to get this all off my chest. Thank you if you got this far and read my whole message. Fran

Thanks so much!! The busters were wonderful.
Take care,

Fran, honey, it is going to be ok. The cold weather can make you tired and all the worry that you have had with your dad and now your husband being sick has not helped. Maybe it is not so bad to stay in bed a few days to "refuel". I hope you get your blood checked because you have had so much diareah that you could be run down. Also, Lomotil is not good to take much of. It could be causing you to feel depressed. Everything is going to get better. You will have a good scan, your daddy will be happy at your sister's and your husband will be well. Try and keep your nutrition up and go ahead and rest.
Love,
Betty

Haven't been here in a long time. I have now been taking Tarceva for four years and find three persistent side effects: fatigue (but can schedule around that), some rash (use Clyndamycin gel, an acne med) and GI. The last is most difficult, with diarrhea occurring often. Picking and choosing foods helps. Avoiding fatigue also. For some of us lucky folks, Tarceva works wonders.
And now a question: has anybody had any success using probiotics to settle their intestines?
I don't know much about these things, so I'd be interested in your experience.

Bmore (Betty),
Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I am trying something new for my diarrhea. I ordered blackberry herbal tea that treats mild diarrhea. I asked the pharmacist if its OK to drink while taking Tarceva and he said it was fine. I want to try to do healthy things instead of popping pills all the time. I think I am taking to much lomotil and I want to stop taking it unless the diarrhea is real bad. I am not eating as good as I should be but I hope to change that. Depression takes my appetite away. You are right there has been lots of unhappy situations going on around me and it doesn't help. But its life and I have to learn to deal better with it. I thank you so much for your encouragement and for responding to my message.
Hugs, Fran

JohnR,
My onc recommended probiotics for me. I can't say that it stops the diarrhea but what it does is put back the good enzymes that you lose from having diarrhea. So it doesn't hurt. Just make sure your doctor approves because I have no clue what other medications you are on at this time. Plus I am trying something new (blackberry herbal tea). It is supposed to help mild diarrhea. You drink 2-3 cups between meals. I checked with the pharmacist and he said its OK to drink it while taking Tarceva. I never introduce anything new to my body until I get an all clear because of Tarceva. Good luck from one who knows very well about the big "D". Fran

Dear Fran, My mantra is "this too shall pass". Just keep thinking about all of the good things to come. I have started planning my garden (okay so it is just some pots in the back yard) but I am plannig on starting somethings from seeds so I can have different colors. Just keep planning for the future. I find that works better than thinking about the here and now. Your hubs will get better and Dad will be fine and your scan will be good cause you are a Diva and we want it to be that way.

Hi Fran:

Yea, sometimes it can just be hard. I just started on Tarceva and am on day 11, but on Friday my husband had a heart attack and had to have 3 stents puts in and tomorrow morning he is to have 2 more. This was definitely not on my list of things to be doing this week. But sometimes you have to just take a deep breath and think of the good things. For me first I think that I am still alive. I think back to last October and am so grateful I was not given 3 months to live. I have happy for the little smily face my grandson put on my husband's chart board today up at Scripps hospital. And I am happy that I was able to be put on Tarceva because otherwise last Thursday was to be my first day of chemo and the thought of him having a heart attack a day after that really scares me.
Sometimes I find myself worrying about every little thing, especially any change in my body, but I have decided that I will not allow cancer to rob me of enjoying the rest of my life, no matter now long that may be. So when I start to feel overwhelmed, I try to think of the good things, listen to music or do whatever I need to do to not perpetuate those feelings.
Just know that there are lots of us out there going the the same thing you are. And we are here to support you.
Kathy

Fran or anyone else. I have been reading about using macaroon cookies and pomegranate juice to help control the big D. Has anyone else tried that?
Kathy

Fran, I am so sorry to hear you are having depression problems. I'm sure most of us here go through it a lot. I have spell of it but I run out to my son's and grand-daughters and pray a lot. Actually my grand-daughters and son needing help all the time gets my mind off myself. I"m so sorry about the Big D as well. Take care and rest. God Bless you. Let us know about the blackberry tea. I drank some green/black tea today. :)

Good Morning Fran,

Honey I am so sorry you are on that slippery slope again. You are an amazing woman. You are fighting two battles @ the same time. Remember one tiny step at a time. Breathe. I am glad you will be seeing your therapist tomorrow. Try not to miss appointments. This is has been so helpful to you. Please.....Please......never ever blame yourself for your depression. You have a family history. You did absolutely nothing to cause this. And I know you really do fight to pull yourself out of these episodes.

You know we are rooting for you. Let us know how you are feeling. Prayers and Hugs are with you.

Marie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders