TARCEVA DIVAS AND DUDES

Happy Wednesday Newbees Divas and Dudes
What is happening in Tarcevaland?

26 replies. Join the discussion

I just got my tarceva today.. i will start satuday..I am kinda scared of the side effects.. I also will start radation next week.. I am neg for mutations i hope this pill works.. it better..

when do you take your tarceva??

The most important thing to remember about taking Tarceva is not to take anything else within an hour or so before or after it. Keeping the spacing and keeping it separate from other stuff--food or pills-- is important for avoiding the worst side effects. Plenty of water is ok, tea or coffee I find is fine but no cream or sugar. Give it an hour or so to work, then eat lunch. I usually take my morning handful of pills, wait an hour, take the Tarceva with a good glass of water, then wait another hour to eat lunch. This does not mean you will avoid all side effects, merely that they will be minimal and they will be consistant, and the rashes will be least bothersome.
The most consistant side effect is bowel looseness. Go when you feel you must to avoid accidents. A fart is not always...be cautious. Believe your bowels. As long as you trust them to be loose, they will not betray you.
Skin will be drying out constantly. A good lotion, or several, will be most helpful. Baby powder on the rashes keeps them from being weepy, you want to keep them dried out.
Olay regenerist is lovely on the face any time.
Any questions ... always more answers.
Respect your meds...they will keep you alive.

oh thanks.. i wont be going any where this weekend..i hope this works..

GMIPHOTOS.......DUDE

WELCOME TO TARCEVALAND!

We wish you a smooth ride on the tarceva pony. I put up this page 1-2 time a week. You will always be able to find support here. You may want to check out our TARCEVA SIDE EFFECT BUSTERS #1 #2. Tis tips from the last 2 years of posts from our Divas and Dudes. Easier to find on google.

My what a big week ahead my friend! You will find the best time for you pill.People here have taken at all times of the day and night. You will sense what is right for you and your life style. IMPORTANT NOTHING TO EAT FOR 2 HOURS.....TARCEVA..........WAIT 1 HOUR AFTER TAKING IT TO EAT AGAIN. This is on the insert with the script.

Just roll with the punches. We are here. Easy does it.
I must say you are encircled by a lovely band of ladies in your photo;-) WOW......sunshine on a rainy day. Keep safe. Let us know how you are SUPER DUDE.

Marie

thanks but i am a diva.. i am gina my husband is bob and kristina with dark hair and jennarose is the one with lighter hair.. thanks for the info:)

side effects don't typically kick into high gear for a least a couple of weeks - rash and fatigue is usually the first to move in. Drink as much water as you possible can. I have found that avacado oil on my fact at night and if im home doing nothing has been the best cream - reduces redness and sunburn feeling. Also don't use any creams with alcohol in them and avoid drinking alcohol. Keep a good chapstick on hand and moisturize from head to toe daily. Keep a pair of gloves in the kitchen and keep your hands out of water unless you have the gloves on. Good luck! I just passed the one year mark January 15 - on Tarceva and Im doing well, working full time, going to gym, downhill skiing etc.

Welcome gmiphotos to Tarcevaland. Sound like you got some pretty good advice , especially about being cautious with gas. -;). We tell it the way it is around here! Be sure to read Marie's Tarceva Busters. I take my Tarceva at 10:00pm. I stop eating and drinking at 8:00pm. This has worked for me for 18 months. Best of luck to you in your journey. Betty

i am gmlphotos but call me gina everyone.. who hear is negative for the muations.. i am for all 3

Gina - My husband has completed 2 wks on Tarceva. The rash on his face has been his biggest complaint. He got the Clindamycin to put on his face on Monday. It seems to be helping but his skin is very dry and he doesn't like me putting Eucerin on it. We think he is negative for EGFR but not sure. They didn't have enough of a sample to test. His onc said he will do a CT scan in Feb to see if it is working. My husband takes his at 3:30pm. His bottle says 2 to 3 hours after eating or 1 hour before eating. He tried taking it later at night but had problems with Acid Reflux when he went to bed. Hubby has started feeling better since being off of the Alimta since the end of Nov. It caused him more fatigue than the Tarceva.

Hope you have good results.

Becky

I also just got my Tarceva today and am nervous. I do my radiation on Friday.

I spent most of the day reading all of the literature that came with the Tarceva, and the technical literature on the web, but this site is the first I had heard of food issues (except grapefruit) and have begun to realize that if it does work, I am going to be on it for a very long time. But if it works I guess it is worth the very high cost.

Travel lady i got mine also and i will start it satuday.. i am scared also.. i start radiation next week. good luck

The thing about the Tarceva side-effects is that they are generally cumulative and build slowly, the most aggressive one being diarrhea. The skin effects are slow and not pleasant...keep the dry skin moist, and keep the damp rash dry for best results.

Hi everyone. Talked to my Dr's office today and I should get the Traceva next week. I don't have them in my hands yet, but I am scared too but with everyone's posts on here I feel much much better about it. She said I should get a letter any day and after that the pharmacy should call and schedule delivery. :) I'm not about to read all the literature on it though.. just going on what my doctor told me and you folks here. :)

I so appreciate the post by Olbat413. That was all so helpful. I take 2 ibuprofen in the morning and then wait an hour to take my Maxzide (water pill for BP) and that's all so think I'll do the same Eat my toast/coffee and take those, then wait an hour or so and take the Traceva then all I have to do is wait an hour or so and I"ll be OK til I take more ibuprofen. Guess I better make sure I can take the ibuprofen with the Traceva.

It seems that a number of us are all starting Tarceva at the same time, so we can all compare notes as we go along. I was really nervous about taking mine, but having read messages from so many other people already taking it, I feel much better about it.

Missphyl you may want to wait 2 hours after eating to take Tarceva or take it on an empty stomach and wait 1 hr to eat. I have to wait exactly 1 hr or I get the big D and more rash. I am not allowed to take ibuprofen and they took me off BP meds. If you go online and google drug interactions you can find everything that interacts with Tarceva. Good luck.

I take my Tarceva at around 9 pm. I was advised to take it at night. It really messes up my social life as really it takes 3 hours out of the day. No more midnight dances for me.
Have taken to enjoying a really nice long lunch preferably in a restaurant.Sometimes meet friends in the evenings but eat earlier than they do to stay on course.
So far so good..
Have scan results Monday. Fingers crossed.

I am trying to find out if any of you out there also have Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). If so, were you allowed to continue your RA meds and has Tarceva caused any issued with your RA.

I am on Methotrexate and Predisone. I have been told it is ok to continue the Prednisone, but my Dr is going to get back to me if I can stay on the Methotrexate or not.

Methotrexate is one of the drugs that interacts with Tarceva. I'm off every arthritis drug. If I have pain I only get to take Vicodin. Check with your onc. On drugs.com you can start a list of every drug you take and it will show all interactions. Then save your list and use it when you get a new prescription or treatment. It's pretty cool.
I have to say since starting Tarceva I don't have too much arthritis pain and no head aches. My pain is in the rib met.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders