started with shoulder pain

I started out with pain in my left shoulder after many weeks of thinking "oh I must have slept wrong or Bursititus,then fatique set in I thought that came with my retirement and gaining 40lbs,went tp my doctor she did blood work had some Anemia,low B12 and B sent me for chest xray,then they called me the same day to have a cat scan,she called me the same day to come into her office with my family.Well they found 7-8 cm mass on my right lung she is sending me to Pulmanary dr to get Broncoscope done,my shoulder pain is on left side mass on right side,please someone tell me what to expect,quit smoking 12years ago after watching a dear Aunt die of lung cancer,she never we nt to the Doc for it I would love to hear from someone

22 replies. Join the discussion

it seems like lung cancer and bone met stage. don't give up. you should go to see doctor and test your what type of tumor then you can planning to treat next step.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnoses, take a deep breath and get a bronchoscope done and find a real good oncologist that you feel comfortable with. Once they find out what type of lung cancer you have and what your staging is then you can move forward from there. The best advice I can offer is no matter what happens you need to stay positive, your mental state is most important. I have watch my father deal with his disease for a year and 4 months now, and when he is focus on the positive he feels better and is stronger to fight this disease head on. My dad is a stage IV non small cell lung cancer adenocarcinoma, he was given 4 to 6 months to live. None of us ever excepted that diagnose, we are in it to fight and we are not going to stop ever. You need to put that in you mind and never, ever stop fighting. My prayers are with you, take care, Julia

It is important to wait for the diagnosis first to find out for sure what is there.
If it is lung cancer it is not the death sentence that it used to be years ago, there are many treatments and different types of chemo they use today depending on the type and stage you may have. We have many long term survivors of 10 years and more on this site with various stages of cancer and they come on often to give advice when it is asked for.
My husband had SCLC Limited stage and was diagnosed in Oct 2008 and is still NED (no evidence of disease) and working full time.
Think positive, eat healthy and know there are many persons on this site with years of experience to help you when it is needed.

I jsut wanted to add here, with regard to the post above from "theseng999", these symptoms do not automatically mean BONE mets or stage 4.....it just means that there is a 7-8cm tumor there...and could be pushing on soemthing causing "referred pain" to the shoulder . Try not to assume the worst until you get all the info. The beginnng is sthe hardest time during this process......

Let us know the news when you have more info.

Thank you everyone,I will keep you posted,Wonderful to talk to people who have been there,and I will try and remain positive

Hi Pauline,

My husband went to urgent care in January due to shoulder pain on his left side. He was sent for a biopsy for a swollen lymp node and have been confirmed with adenocarcinoma stage 4. One thing I have learned is that everyone is different and there is no right answer sometimes. I agree with having a positive attitude and getting as much support as possible. Take care of yourself and wish you all the best.

I know that hearing positive stories is good for you right now, so here is another one. My husband was just like you - his shoulder started hurting. He thought he hurt it working. Went to the doc and they saw something on a chest xray. Had a CT scan done a few days later, and not only did he have a 7cm tumor in the top of his right lung, but he also had an almost 7 cm tumor on his right kidney. Biopsies were performed on both - the lung tumor was NSCLC and the kidney tumor was renal cell carcinoma, so he had two primary cancers.

He had six rounds of chemo, three weeks apart, and the lung tumor was shrank by 70%. The remaining 30% was found to be dead on a PET scan. He will have his right kidney removed on April 27th, just to be sure all of the renal cell carcinoma is gone. He is considered to be NED (no evidence of disease).

Two cancers, and now none. That was only six months ago.

If they do find that yours is cancer, there is so much HOPE!!! Just stay positive and fight to win. We will keep you in our prayers.

Hi Annie Ann !
Soon after we spoke Monday, I found myself browsing the web with your symptoms. After one google search as I scrolled down the options, I saw your post. I believe you must stay positive.I wanted you to know you're and always will be my Dearest Aunt ! I will continue to pray and continue with nothing less than a positive outlook! Get ready for me I'm going to come see you early next week. I gave myself 3 days off! lol

Love you !

Thanks for the lovely letter C,went to pulminary doc today he's doing my broncoscope on Tuesday.he also doesnt know why I have pain in left shoulder because the mass is on right lung ,Go figure that one.But I'm still sooo tired

Hello. My boyfriend had shoulder pain for about 8 months. Went to the Orthopedics and they were treating him for a pinched nerve. After all the shots they gave him, they finally did another PetScan/Cat Scan and found a Pancoast Tumor on the top of his lung. That was causing the pain. We never in a million years thought it would of been a cancer tumor. They did n't see this for 8 months. He had radiation and chemo. Ask your Dr about Pancoast Tumors? But with the chemo/radiation, he is getting better. The tumor has shrunk. It's still there, but not that big. There is still signs of activity, but we just keep praying that maybe some day there won't be. Everyone is different. I will pray for you and if you need to talk to anyone, message me. But, Remember, there are all kinds of treatments out there. Stay Positive.....

Thank you for posting like you said everyone's symptoms are different,I will know more after biopsy,My onocoly doctor said he was going to do a PET scan after biopsy,The insurance will not pay for that scan unless there is a biopsy done

This is so true and I couldn't agree more. My tumor WAS in my right lung and I had a hot spot on my right side in the shoulder during a scan. What that turned out to be is nothing but calcified tissue around the rotator cup. I told them from the get go prior to my pet scan that I had arthritis issues in my shoulders and much of the rest of my body!

Please wait for the tests to come back. That is so important.

P- that's how I found my LC too- a pain inthe shoulder that would not go away - they found a tumor in the hilliar nerve region - thank God - or I woulod be dead right now. I was stage 2b/3a. Had VATS - been clean ever since - Nov. will mark 5 years- be brave!!!

If there is one thing I have learned in my journey is to stay away from diagnoising yourself from the internet. It is natural to look things up when you are first diagnosed. I did... my family did and none of it was good. I had myself so freaked out! Leave the diagnoses to the Dr's! Also..the internet will give you the worst. I learned more positive avenues right here on this site from actual people who are walking hand in hand with me.

God Bless
Linda

I had shoulder pain, too, in left shoulder, under the shoulder blade. Found a 7x8 cm tumor at top of left lung, inoperable, coughing up blood, stage IIIB. Had chemo & radiation and it shrank away to a scar. I'm a 13 year survivor.

Hope yours is not cancer, but if it is, there's always hope.

Best wishes,
Kathy

Thanks for all the replies,will let you wonderful people know the results of Biopsy

Today I had my bronchoscopy,here are the results Right Lung abnormalities:A completely obstructing mass was found 5 cm from the bifurcation (carnia).The mass was large and bloody,endobronchial,friable and smooth.The lesion was not traversed.Biopsies taken (4) and brushings,Have apt Fiday to discuss biopsies,doesnt sound very goodThe lesion is malignant So what does all this mean?

What did you find out?

I can tell you what you posted about the bronchoscopy means but by now you have spoken to the oncologist.

Had my ono appt today,have to get my pet scan now abd brain ct,then to see Thoratic surgeon Dr James Martin from St Johns Detroit,if it is no where elsse he will operate then chemo,if its somewhere else too I will do chemo I have two nodes that are some concern for onocologist,Anyone familiar with cancer Dr in Michigan.oh also have to go for breathing treatment tomorrow with pulmanary Dr

Wishing you good luck on your journey. Hope all goes well.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders