spread to stomach?

Hi everyone- I haven't posted in a while bc things have been pretty stable with my mom. But we are concerned over lastest PET scan. It reads area of intense hypermetabolic activity in gastic fundus (stomach?). They also see a large soft tissue mass in upper left quadrant of abdomen. Has anyone else seen lung cancer spread to stomach, that is my fear. As it stands she has been stable for 3 1/2 years dx at stage IV in 07 and at that time we knew it was in some bones,pelvic,both lungs,etc.She is upset.

13 replies. Join the discussion

What are her doctors saying? What is the amount of hypermetabolic activity? It doesn't necessarily mean it's cancer. Until a biopsy, there's no way to say what it is. What is the plan? Hoping for the best.
Take care, Judy

Hi Judy-Thanks for reply. The doc says she needs endoscopy next week. In past she has had pelvic mets,they removed a grapefruit size one that did turn out to be the LC. The stomach thing is new. I guess they don't know till they do the endo at least,but the PET report reads something like 'metabolic activity consistant with malignancy'She has been on Alimta since summer 07.

I am saying prayers, I don't think it is a place it usually spreads to with lung cancer.
I was under the impression liver, brain, and bones and adrenal glands were the hot spots to watch on lung cancer patients, but I imagine it can spread where it wants too.
Sending prayers, hopefully it is not correct and there is no cancer there.
Love
Sandy

Hi Sandy-Me too, I don't think it is a common place. Unfortunately I read online somewhere that when you find mets in the stomach as opposed to stomach cancer, the mets are usually lung or brain? I am concerned. My mom had been doing ok, 3 1/2 years to do.I guess we will know more after endo and I will post update. Thank you for your kind words.C

Hi! I want to share my story with you. My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer about 2 years ago at this time. He had is whole lung removed & then followed it up with some chemo. He ended up with 2 blood clots and had to stop chemo before his treatment was over. At that time he did not have it anywhere else. Last month he went for his 6 month check up and a lymph node in his stomach area lit up. He had a biopsy and they did say it was lung cancer in the stomach area. It is inoperable at this time. He is suppose to start chemo this week with hopes to shrink it then they can operate. This now puts my dad in stage 4 now. I know every case is different and I hope yours is but I felt like I needed to let you know my story. sorry so long. please keep us updated.
Take care,
Jenn

jean, what were your dads symptoms that it had spread to his stomach. my husband has had eating problems since he got cancer in 2/09. cant eat very much, and if he does, he throws up. he has lost even more of his appetite since sept. and with the cancer having spread to the oppisite lung and pluerel effusion, i wonder about the stomach. we were told he prob has scarring in the esophagas. he started tarceva about 2 weeks ago and says his appetite is improving.

Hi Debbien! My dad does not have any symptons at this point. If it wasn't for his 6 month check up he would of never known. He has always had a little indegestion but like I said that is not new. Try not to worry about it but if you have any concerns make sure you address them with your doctor. Does your husband go for pet scans every 6 months? When our oncologist seen this in a lymph node in his stomach he was puzzled because it is less common to go to that area. Hope this helps.
Take care,
Jenn

Yes it can spread to the stomach area. My husband had Stage 4 lc that met to bones (rib spine and shoulder) The cancer that spread to the stomach area was in the ommentum which is the fat around the stomach and intestines. They did not bx it because his cancer had already had spread. They told me since he was on chemo that the chemo would most likey help this. If it spreads some more they would of had to change the chemo.
Good Luck and I will send good thoughts to you
Linnie

Yes, my father has had the same thing happen to him as Linnie156 (lung to ommentum). He had no symptoms and was on chemo. They have since switched his chemo. Prayers for you!

I read if you are a diabetic and take metformin it can cause abnormal uptake in the gi track.Goggle it.

jean, my husband has not been for a pet scan since he was dx in 2/09. just ct scans every 3 months. i will have to bring this up to his dr. thanks

Hi,
I remember that I was concerned a couple of months ago about stomach upset. When i asked my onc about it he told that is very very rare that Lc spreads to the stomach.
Hope thishelps.
seb

UPDATE! Hi, ok mom went to onc today b/c it was chemo day. He said based on her report the Alimta alone is no longe working successfully (she has been on Alimta as single agent for 3+ years). He added something called Erbitex to it so she will get both now. But Erbitex will be every 2w, so it stinks, now she has Alimta every 4w plus this every 2, so she is going to be back and forth a lot more. The scans are likely showing advancement into stomach and show worsening in lymph nodes , he is concerned about. The Endoscopy is next week sometime. Thanks all I will keep you posted.
Also anyone know anything about Erbitex? I think i will start seperate thread.
best.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders