SPINDLE CELL LUNG CANCER

MY MOM HAS RECENTLY BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH SPINDLE CELL LUNG CANCER, HAS ANYONE HAD ANY SUCCESS WITH A PARTICULAR KIND OF CHEMO FOR THIS?

9 replies. Join the discussion

Never heard of this kind. Is it called another name? Ia it NSCLC or SCLC?

Spindel cell what? Sarcoma, carncinoma, etc. There is such a thing, but you need to be more specific.
Take care, JC

I have never heard of this kind of lung cancer, but I do see it does exist. It's somewhat complicated and it appears to be aggressive.

Sorry to hear your mother is dealing with this.

Best wishes,
Connie
(I found this on SPINDLE CELL LC)

Sarcomatoid lung cancer (spindle/giant cells): An aggressive disease?
Nicolas Venissac, MDa, Daniel Pop, MDa,*, Sandra Lassalle, MDb, Frederic Berthier, MDc, Paul Hofman, MD, PhDb, Jérôme Mouroux, MD, PhDa
a Department of Thoracic Surgery, Pasteur Hospital, Nice, France
b Department of Clinical and Experimental Pathology, Pasteur Hospital, Nice, France
c Department of Medical Informatics and Information, Cimiez Hospital, Nice, France.

Received for publication January 27, 2007; revisions received May 7, 2007; accepted for publication May 11, 2007.

* Address for reprints: Daniel Pop, MD, Thoracic Surgery Department, Pasteur Hospital–Building H1, 30 Avenue de la Voie Romaine, 06002 Nice, France. (Email: danielpopch@yahoo.com).

Objective: We investigated the clinical, surgical, and pathologic features of sarcomatoid lung carcinomas with spindle/giant cells, giving special attention to the prognostic behavior of these rare tumors.

Methods: Surgical specimens from 39 patients (29 men and 10 women; mean age, 61 years) were examined by means of light microscopy. Preoperative and postoperative data were collected, and survival was calculated by using the Kaplan–Meier method.

Results: Nineteen patients were diagnosed with cancer preoperatively. Only one sarcomatoid tumor had been diagnosed. Presenting symptoms were noted in 85% of patients, and complete resection was achieved in 37 tumors. Postoperative pTNM staging: T2/T3/T4, 22/15/2; N0/N1/N2, 28/8/3; 15 stage IB, 14 stage IIB, 7 stage IIIA, 2 stage IIIB, and 1 stage IV. Histopathologic analysis revealed necrosis in 90% of the tumors (34 pleomorphic, 3 spindle cell, and 2 giant cell carcinomas). During follow-up (median, 24 months), 21 patients died of disease recurrence, and 3 died of postoperative complications. The 5-year survival rate (33%; median, 11 months) was negatively influenced by large tumors (7.5% survival for 7 cm vs 56% for <7 cm, P = .0026). The disease-free interval was significant for patients who relapsed (0% for disease-free interval <6 months vs 33% for disease-free interval 6 months, P = .0019).

Conclusions: A highly heterogeneous group, spindle/giant cell lung carcinomas tend to be symptomatic, peripheral, and necrotic. Preoperative diagnosis is difficult. Most patients in our study relapsed and died the first year after surgical intervention. Surgical intervention can permit long-term survival, but adjuvant therapy warrants consideration because of the aggressive nature of these tumors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
Abbreviations and Acronyms CT = computed tomography; DFI = disease-free interval; FDG-PET = fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography; GCC = giant cell carcinoma; NSCLC = non–small cell lung carcinoma; SCSGC = sarcomatoid carcinoma with spindle cells, giant cells, or both; SSC = spindle cell carcinoma; WHO = World Health Organization

IT IS A SPINDLE CELL CARCIMOMA, IT HAS METASTASES TO HER LEFT CHEST WALL, AND HER LYMPH NODES ARE SWOLLEN, SO THEY THINK IT HAS SPREAD THERE AS WELL. IT WAS DISCOVERED BY REMOVING WHAT THEY THOUGHT WAS A CYST, AND THE PATHOLOGY CAME BACK CARCINOMA WITH SPINDLE CELL NEOPLASMA, SHE ASLO HAS A 3.5 CM MASS IN HER RIGHT LUNG, THEY ARE UNABLE TO IDENDIFY THE PRIMARY SOURCE

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION, WITH THE VAST AMOUNT OF RESEARCH I HAVE BEEN DOING I HAVE NOT SEEN THAT ARTICLE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND SYMPATHY

I know someone who was diagnosed with stage IIB spindle cell three years ago and was treated with Gemzar. She has had clean scans since finishing treatment.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION! DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW IF SHE HAD ANY METASTISIS OR WAS IT PRIMARY LUNG? AND THE GEMEZAR USED EXCLUSIVELY?

There was no metastasis. They tried her on a round of carbo/taxol but she had such a severe reaction to it she had to be taken off of it. So while I can't say she absolutely had nothing else, Gemzar was the ultimate treatment of duration. Hope this helps.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I JUST LOOKED IT UP AND WILL Have on conversation with the oncologist when we meet next! thank you again

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders