SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY AND NO MEDICAL COVERAGE

When I first applied for SSDi and was approved almost immediately, I was told that I was eligible for SSI during the 5 month waiting period. At that time I was also eligible for Medicaid, but would have to re-apply once I started getting my SSDi payments which I did. My SSDi starting March1st. I just received a notice from the state stating that I make too much money ($1425 monthly) to be eligible for medicaid. Unfortunately my husband has passed away and the SSDi is my only income. Although I am not eligible for Medicaid, I am eligible for a shared cost plan. My shared cost is $1225 per month, which by my caluculations that gives me $200 a month to live on. I figured this must be a mistake, so I spent the entire day trying to get in touch with the state office. Finally I got to speak to someone, I was told that I am responsible for 80% of my income, if my expenses are over $1225 the state will pay them 100% if under then I am responsible. It is very confusing to me. I truly don't know how I will pay my bills. Even the $1425 that I get is not enough to cover my monthly expenses. I am just going to have to default on some of my accounts. Not what I thought I would be doing at this point in my life. I have worked since I am 15 and this disease is wiping me out in many ways. I will NOT let it beat me, but worring about my medical care is ridiculous. Just another example as to why it is outrageous that once on disability you have to wait 24 months to get medicare. I know that this is wordy and for that I am sorry, I just needed to vent, and what better place than this, with people who understand. Thank you all for listening to me once again.

Janet

30 replies. Join the discussion

That really stinks and I'm very sorry. Have you checked the resources on the right hand side of this page? I hope others will chime in with ideas. Do you own your home outright? You could do a reverse mortgage?

Pam

Janet-
Here's our nightmare- my husband and I are both disabled- him from a back injury, me from lung cancer. We both are now just getting SS disability and of course, we lost our premium BCBS insurance when I got cancer. I know now I probably will never be able to return to the workforce. So our social worker at the doctors office advised we sign up for Medicaid. Well, since we MAKE so much money- and keep in mind, they only SEE what you bring in, NOT what you pay out- our cost of share is a combned 2,085.00 a month. So how do we get around it? At first, I fretted and bawled my eyes out. Now, I ask my doc office to file the charges for chemo first thing in the month- one chemo session ususally covers that- and I pay 10.00 a month on my account, and the office bills the 2085.00 like I paid it myself.... they can then "bill" me and I pay the 10.00- I usually hit my share of cost about mid-month- then I get all my meds filled, and anything else I need to tide us over. If I haven't met our share of cost, I ask the docs to prescribe the 4.00 generic meds to get us through. I was told by the social worker at the hospital that as long as you have enough medical costs for the month, once Medicaid starts "kicking" in, it kind of works it's way out, but we're still novices here. Anyway, hope that helps. That's how we get through the sharedown---cancer treatment is expensive, and we count virtually every single penny-we're not in the streets yet, but I'm glad winter is nearly over- the heating bills were a bitch, and I have to remind ourselves how much money we bring in, that puts us over the limit for places like United Way and Salvation to help us out- we're usually over the limit by a couple hundred for food stamps, rent assistance, the whole thing..... there are also resources on this site for financial help. They may work for you.
Or, just come over here- we shove over and set up another plate..... not gourmet food, but good food...
Hugs
Nettie

Dear Janet,
I have also had Share of Cost. Since the treatments are so very expensive, you will more than likely meet the cost and the bill will be paid in full. Do not default on your other payments. I am now on Medicare and Medicaid Share of Cost. so far, I have only been billed by the group of Doctors that determined my treatment. I have made arrangements to pay them $50 per mo. Good Luck and God Bless!!
Eileen

Janet,

The whole system is screwed up. What do they expect you to live on? It is so unfair that we have to battle the beast and worry about the expenses incurred during the war.

Nettie makes some pretty good suggestions on ways to avoid the shared cost. Hopefully, you will be able to make similar arrangements so that you will be less stressed. The stress from the war is enough for anyone to deal with.

Good luck, keep us informed on how you make out with it all. God bless.

Pat

Wow what state do you live in. I got SSi as so as I applied but even with my husbands income I'm still eliglable for Medicade. Once your disabled here it seems like they really help. Your situation sucks but look for other help like the suggestions.
Good lucl Penny

I live in Florida. I got medicaid while I was on SSI but now that I get SSDi, I make to much money. I have checked out all the suggestions on LCA and they will only help if you have some kind of insurance, they will help with the co pays. My local hospital has a program that I am going to apply to, and hope that I am eligible. I am not worried about the big stuff, because I will get that paid with the shared cost medicaid plan, I am only concerned about anything under the $1225, monthly responsibility that I have. Florida doesn't have many programs to help people in my situation. It is very sad, but I have decided that I cannot worry about it, somehow it will all work out, the important thing is that I fight this monster and let God do his job. Thank you for responding.

Oh My Gosh......am in the same boat...My disabilty was for March 1 too..But they said my check will begin on April15th for my March payment....I keep saying they hope we pass away first then they won't have to pay us..I am so serious I told them that too.....Oh no mame that's what they said to me.......I also told them I hope none of them get a serious illness and need this benefit......Good Luck Sweetie.......am in your corner :)

XOXOX Jeannie

We ship Billions of dollars overseas and this is what our sick people have to contend with.

I'd like to see one of our congressmen live on $1425.00 a month !! Another bad subject for me. Politics, drug company lobbiests, and Oh gee, what they expect seniors to live on ..........what a joke!!
Anyway, hang in !! Consider a reverse mortgage if you have the option. I know others who have done it and are happy with it.
God Bless,
Marylou

janet - I have the same fear - I am too young for either ss or medicare - what happens if my cancer comes back - at 53 I am really Fuc***. That said - there must be something we can do - I was going to ask my attorney to find out for me - I am trapped in my job because if I don't work I have no medical benefits - to get them on my own will cost ALOT of $$$$. I hear you and feel your pain - one place that might be able to help you is the Liz Martucci Lung Cancer Foundation -
www.LMLCF.org
Dan is her son and they help people financially with expenses for medical costs... worth a try - good luck - stay strong!!!
Karen

Janet,

Do you need the shot Neulasta?? It is very expensive and it is usually given 24 hours after first line chemo. I have an extra dose in my refrigerator that I no longer take. The pharmacy won't take it back and it has never been open. Let me know if you need it I would rather give it to someone who needs it and can't afford the $7,000 for 1 shot, then have to throw it out.

Linda

Linda,

Thanks for the offer of Neulasta. I am not doing any treatments right now, thank God, so I don't need. Hope you find someone who could use it would be a shame to have to throw it away.

Thanks again

Janet

Jeannie, that is about like medicare, they pay you a month behind, but yet if you die even at the end of a month, that check has to be returned. Really not fair as they are paying a month behind to begin with. It would be great if some of our politicians would have to live under these circumstances, but of course they don't. God Bless, just had to put my 2 cts in.

I am sorry, I have no ideas for you but I hope you do get help. God has his ways of helping when you are in need. I am on medicare and have a supplement that cost me $`148.75 a month but as long as I can keep that I will as it has been a life saver. Insurance is so high it is outragious, but medical cost are too. I have a disabled daughter and her insurance for just her alone is somewhere around $600. a month. They had disability insurance for you to buy where she worked and she took it out, one of the best things she could have ever done. I wish you much luck and sure you can find some help someplace, just ask the good Lord for help....Hugs

Janet: I have some familiarity with these programs, perhaps I can provide or figure out where to get some better info. Although these are federal programs each state has its own peculiarities. which state are you in and how old are you?

It's so ridiculous that $1400 per month qualifies as "too much money" to avoid a share of cost. Just what in the h--- do the lawmakers think? I get so angry when I think of my sister, who lost her job at age 60 and couldn't find another one. She has to live on $900 per month, but out of that, she has to pay for her Medicare. (She is 66 now) Also, I work for the County, and I see poor little old ladies who are widowed, who worked hard all their lives and paid taxes and followed the law. They come in to apply for food stamps, which is a lot of paperwork and time, only to find out that since they are on Soc Sec, the largest amount of food stamps that they qualify for is $10.00!!
$10.00!! Can you imagine? Even if their SS is only $300 per month! I find this appalling. Criminal, really. I just don't know what our government is thinking!
As far as I'm concerned, Medicare should be free for anyone who makes under $3,000 per month (let's be realistic in this day and age! How can you really live on less?! And that should include all drugs! No one should have to go without medical care, especially our senior citizens and children.
Bonnie (Sorry, but I get ALL fired up about this!!!)

Only thing coming in here is my SSI..hubby had major heart attack and emergency quadbypass surgery and has been disabled ever since and he can't draw on his disability yet! My SSi is $674.00 month. thats all we get and while I do have medicaid...supposedly? they have not paid one bill as of this date saying that all claims are not being filed correctly. now if that isnt a kick in the butt I dont know what is. I mean after all...the insurance filers at the office/hospitals they know how to file claims. they even go to a special "school" just to be able file claims on the govt insurances. How they are getting by with this I will never know but I am now being sued by every dr/lab/hospital/radiation etc I have had done. Dr. says all they can do is keep filing but in mean time I need to pay my account. How in the heck can I do that when I dont even have enough to live on! we do get food stamps which dropped 200.00 a month once my "income" started coming in. Oh did I mention i have a 20 yr. in college thats still living at home and they count her part time work at the college that helps pay her tuition as part of our income? So, I'll be reading posts to see if you get any good suggestions. For you sounds like what Nettie has done would be your best bet.
Robin

Henrymax,

I live in Florida and I am 57 years old. I would welcome any suggestions. thank You.

Janet

Janet: I will try to find someone with knowledge of the Florida system to help out, it may take a few days, I will get back to you.

Janet, I'm sorry your having to deal with this when your having to battle the cancer as well. I read a book last fall called PH Miracle living by Dr. Robert Young. I subscribe to his daily e-newsletter. This was yesterdays' letter. I really believe becoming PH is the key to better health and to help eliminate disease. I have my sister drinking pure PH water 8.0-9.5 daily

Here's the e-newsletter..it's long but makes sooo much sense. If you can go to the library and get the book pages 179-181 tells a very inspiring story.

First let's state unequivocally, "Yes, Virginia... except for some surgical requirements, e.g., hernias, or broken bones, etc., YOU CAN BE HEALTHY WITHOUT having medical insurance, or even without being able to afford to see a doctor."

I want to say. "ALL dis-ease symptoms are caused by systemic acidic imbalances in the body", BUT I try not to use the words "Never", "Ever", or "All". As sure as I do, there will be some "exception", which, while rare, will catch me up. I will say that the extreme "majority" of sickness and dis-ease conditions do not and cannot exist in a properly alkalinized human body. Over acidic conditions from lifestyle and dietary choice cause the symptoms, which we define as "dis-ease" states.
You will note that I hyphenate the word "disease" as "dis-ease", because I cannot bring myself to acknowledge that "diseases" even exist. There are, in fact, "symptom syndromes", or collections of symptoms, which when identified, are given "names" in the medical lexicon. Once a "name" is given to a Symptom Syndrome, then it gets diagnosed, and pharmaceutical companies set about to produce drugs to ameliorate the symptoms. None of these drugs addresses the underlying cause of the dis-ease symptoms.

For example, there is NO disease "out there" such as Diabetes, just waiting for us to catch it. Diabetes is a Symptom Syndrome, which is caused by systemic over acidic conditions in the body resulting from our bad lifestyle and dietary choices.

So, what do you do when you want / NEED to be healthy without the intervention of the medical / pharmaceutical complex? What can you do when you can't afford health of dis-ease insurance?

FIRST - Begin to 'GREEN UP YOUR DIET"!! Begin to eat more salad greens, broccoli, green beans, celery, cucumber, spinach, avocados, asparagus, etc., Get the picture... GREEN FOODS! Lots of them!

SECOND - Get the high "acid ash" foods completely out of your diet. NEVER EAT THEM! Examples are ALL carbonated beverages, ALL sugars and ALL high carbohydrate foods, especially particularly sweet fruits.

THIRD - Get ALL animal proteins out of your diet! This will be a hard point for many of you. I had a client who told he went through his pantry and got rid of everything that had "animal protein" in it, and he said, "I didn't have ANYTHING LEFT TO EAT!!" You may have a similar experience. It is truly culture shock to realize how many products you daily rely upon, cannot be eaten by anyone who wants to avoid the doctor, and who wants to be healthy.

FOURTH - Get ALL animal, processed and trans fats and ALL Saturated Fats out of your diet. Eat only monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, such Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Hemp Oil, etc., and eat A LOT of them. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, from GREEN fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts should be a primary source of electron rich and electrically active food and drink in your diet.

FIFTH - Drink LOTS OF ALKLAINE WATER!! Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Drink ONLY pure, filtered alkaline water. If the water in your area does not have a pH of at least 8.0 or higher, you will need to pH correct the water. You can purchase alkaline drops to add to your local filtered water. It would be wonderful if you can obtain a structured water machine, which will not only properly alkalize your water, and filter it, but will also correct it to the proper ORP (Oxidative Reduction Potential), which should ideally be in the -150 mV or greater range. If you can't afford a machine to correct the ORP level of your filtered water, DO NOT let that keep you from doing the things you can do. Get a water filter, and filter your water. Get some alkaline drops and correct the water pH to at finished pH of 9 or 10. DRINK 1 liter of pure, filtered, alkaline adjusted water for each 50 lbs. of body weight. The degree to which you think this is a lot of water, is an indicator of how much trouble your body and health are in... water....adequate hydration is THE most critical thing you can do to improve your health. Your body should be over 70% water, and CANNOT function and be healthy without proper alkaline hydration.

(note from becky: You can make PH water by adding a Tablespoon of baking soda (Alumimun Free RED MILL BRAND) to a gallon of filtered/distilled water. It's cheaper than the drops. I had my sister doing the drops and have ordered Dr. Youngs PH salts to make her water as high as possible in PH since she's dealing with a severe illness. I just do the baking soda since it's cheaper).

SIXTH - Get out in the fresh air, and BREATHE. Oxygen is critical for health. Breathing deeply not only helps to maintain proper alkaline / acid relationships in the body, but also is critical for virtually every metabolic process in every tissue of the body. Don't count on your natural breathing, reflex to get all the oxygen you need. Do at least 15 mins. of deep breathing exercises every day. Take a slow, deep breath through your nose... hold it for a count of two, and exhale slowly through your nose. Count to two, and repeat. Do this for at least 15 mins. EVERY DAY! In addition, try to get in 4 or 5 such deep breaths as often during the day as you think about it. BREATHE!!

SEVENTH - Get some alkalizing "SALT" in your diet. I don't mean refined table salt. Start with a good sea salt. Our blood closely resembles the saline content of the oceans. YOU NEED SALT! The definition of "salt" gets a bit complicated. "Salts", at their simplest structure, are metals which are connected by single bonds only and do not have Hydrogen atoms connected to them. Don't get bogged down with this technical definition. I only mention it to say that the human body contains a lot of alkaline "salts" besides just table salt, i.e., Sodium (the metal) plus Chloride, NaCl. The human body critically includes a number of "salts" of several metals, e.g., Potassium, Calcium, Sodium and Magnesium, known as "electrolytes". It is difficult to get enough of the proper relative quantities of these inter-related salts without the proper diet I have set out above.

I formulated a food additive called, pHour Salts, to help with adequate intake of the four main electrolytes. If you have access to a supply of pHour Salts, it will really help, but if you don't - do not despair. If you don't have access to pHour Salts, get some good sea salt or pHlavor spray mineral salts, and try to eat the darkest green foods you can obtain.
EIGHTH - Monitor you own health. Get a few packages of "pH Test Strips". Test both your urine and saliva. They are excellent indicators of the proper healthy tissue environments in your body. Each tests a different tissue environment. Check both your urine and your saliva. Check the first urine of the day and your saliva before eating anything in the morning, and then a few times during the day. If you find that your test results are below 7.0 correct immediately, either with a little pHour Salts, or eat a bit of particularly alkaline food, e.g., cucumber, broccoli, asparagus, avocado, etc.. You will quickly get the hang of what corrects your test results the best, and what doesn't.

I like to use the acronym, C.O.W.S., which stands for CHLOROPHYLL, (OXYGEN and OIL), WATER and SALT.. The proper balance of these four elements through proper eating and dieting, will result in robust health, and WILL KEEP YOU HEALTHY without the traditional frequent visits to the doctor. Getting the proper balance of these four intakes WILL keep you healthy WHEN YOU CAN'T AFFORD HEALTH INSURANCE.

So, if you find yourself without health insurance... the situation may truly be a blessing in disguise, IF it gets you to take control of your own health instead of contracting it out to your doctor and local hospitals. GET HEALTHY AND STAY HEALTHY! You can do it without health insurance or doctors!

Click here to Join the 'pH Miracle Fan Club':
http://www.facebook.com/n/group.php&gid=50864627953&aref=4274174

Hope this will be of some help to you. Email me if you would like anymore information on this I've become a PH guru in my household.
Becky :)

Thank You, Janet

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders