SLURRED SPEECH

My dad had ten chemo treatments--last treatment was on December 28, 2011. Doctor wanted him to take a three-month break. Last week my dad began having slurred speech. I took him to the doctor this Monday--Neurologist said he though it was related to the lung cancer. The scheduled an MRI for next Thursday, which is 15 days from the day my dad began having slurred speech. It seems like a very long time to wait. What are your thoughts on this? I would really appreciate hearing from you.
Mali

13 replies. Join the discussion

M,

Go to ER, this should NOT wait. Neuro is an idiot!

G

Mali,

Call his Primary Care or go to the ER. 15 days is too long. Good luck!

Go Now...Could have been a stroke. xoxoxoxo,NDM

I don't want to scare you, but the same happen to my dad (sclc though) and it was because of brain mets.
I pray the best for your dad.

I hope you manage to get your Dad seen to earlier than they are saying. This is urgent, don't be fobbed off! Do keep us posted, with love and best wishes, Carolyn

I agree, would go to the ER. My husband was having strokes do to the cancer clotting his blood and the Neurologist could not figure that out. It took 2 hospital stay's for someone to do a CT scan and then they saw the cancer. He had clot's in his legs and arms all due to the cancer. His MRI said his head was lite up light a christmas tree. If you go to the ER he will get help sooner. Wishing you and your Dad well. God Bless!

My dad had five episodes of slurred speech and stroke like symptoms from the chemo or cancer. You need to have it checked out to make sure it isn't a stroke. It is scary. Wishing you and your dad the best. Keep us posted.
Jean

Thank you to all of you for your responses. I spoke with my dad this morning, and he does not want to go.

M,

Perhaps he needs a graphic description of the likely consequences of ignoring these sx's?
One of my favorites is a grand mal seizure with loss of bowel and bladder control, getting tossed in an ambulance and schlepped to the ER, all while family members, including the little ones, watch in abject terror!
Machismo or ignorance don't mean much at such times.

G

Same thing happened with my mom. Her speech was slurred and her words mixed up. We ended up in the er twice. Each time they had to rule out brain mets and stroke. Final word wasthat it was due to metabolic changes caused by he cancer metastatizing to bones and elsewhere. It was awful bc she didnt want to go either. It was very alarming. Best wishes for you and your dad.

I took my dad to ER. Doctors said 16 mm tumor on left side of brain. Has anyone had the same thing?

I'm glad you got him to the ER, I'm sure someone who knows more than I will be along shortly to give you more help! God Bless!

Cath

I'm glad you took him in. I don't know anything about brain mets yet. Good luck!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders