shadow on lung

hi. i have just been told i have a shadow on my left lung, im waitling for a ct scan.. i am very short of breath all the time, has anybody been through this?, im feeling very worried and confused at the moment x

25 replies. Join the discussion

What brought about finding the shadow on the lung? Xray for something else? Have you been sick? Might be best to wait and see what the CT scan shows. The only way to diagnose LC is with a biopsy. There are many things it could be, so all you can do is wait and see. Take care, Judy

Have you seen a pulmonologist for the shortness of breath? If not I would suggest one.

Hi Mandy:

I've had the shortness of breath and a CT scan plus x-ray and all kinds of lab tests and an echocardiogram. The echo shows the issue I already knew about with my heart and the other tests have all been normal. I was not told I have a shadow in my lung, however, and I would be really frightened if that were the case. Do you know if your x-ray was digital? Did the technician look at the picture right when you had it taken? Who told you that you had the shadow? Did they explain what that means? Do you have any heart issues? Asthma?

Who ordered the x-ray? Was it for the shortness of breath?

I am in the process of tapering off of prednisone that I had to take for vasculitis. For me there is a back and forth from the pulmonologist to the cardiologist. The pulmonologist can't find a reason for the shortness of breath so he sends me to the cardiologist and I already know the status of my heart disease which is unchanged from a previous evaluation. So the pulmonologist gave me a steroid inhaler in addition to the albuterol inhaler I already had. It helped but as I go lower with the prednisone the shortness of breath is increasing again. That doesn't help you, I know. I do know that with one of the chest x-rays I had in the past I was really scared of lung cancer. It was not the case and I hope that's what you find too.

I think I would try to find out what the interpretation of a shadow on your lung is. I wonder if someone just told you that and said you needed a CT scan. Its a good thing to have a CT scan but for your peace of mind it would be good to be told just a bit more about what that means. A safe bet would be to call the nurse to see if you can get anymore information. Being scared is a good enough reason to call and ask.

For your sake I hope the CT scan is scheduled very soon. If you think of any question, please ask. I may not know the answer but someone else might and that's what we're all here for.

thankyou for your reply, i had a chest x-ray at the hospital, which showed i had a shadow on my lung, so they told me to have a ct scan to investigate this. i am waiting for my appointment, which will be within the next 2 weeks.

hi, i had a chest xray at the hospital, which showed i had a shadow on my lungs, so they told me to go for a ct scan, which will happen within the next 2 weeks

But what brought you to get a chest xray?
take care, Judy

i have been short of breathe for the past month. so went into hospital for tests, which i was told everything was ok, but i got a letter yesterday saying after looking at my chest xray again, they discovered a shadow on my left lung, so i am now waiting for a ct scan to find out what it is.

The only thing I can think of to suggest while you wait for your CT is that since it is what it is try to calm your fears as much as you possibly can. When I had a breast tumor years ago I had to wait a week after I first found it to have the surgery. I lost 15 pounds worrying. I prayed and at some point I just felt it was going to be okay. I felt calm and no longer afraid. It was not cancer and I sincerely pray yours is not either.

I don't know how it worked except I do know God was with me and that's what I hope you'll be able to feel.

You could write what you're feeling here as you wait. I know that expressing how you feel relieves you. I know that happens without any doubt. I do hope you'll just write about how you are as you wait.

Take very good care.

just wish my appointment for the ct would hurry up!.. the waiting is doing my head in.. i just cant stop fearing the worst. my thoughts are taking over my life!

When is your appointment Mandy?

i am waiting to hear, i got a letter from the hospital 5 days ago telling me they would send me the appointment within the next 2 weeks

It may not do any good, and you would know that better than I, but what if you call them and let them know you need to have the time set. You could say that other things in your life have to be scheduled around the CT Scan and it would help if they could tell you on the phone. Its just a thought but don't let it add to your stress if you know it wouldn't work. I'll be watching for your next post.

thankyou, the annoying thing is that when i first had the chest x-ray, i was told it was all clear, then a week later the hospital wrote to me saying after re-examining my xray, a significant shadow was spotted, and to wait for a ct scan... its like living on a rollercoaster!

I googled shadow on chest x-ray and I have a link for MedHelp.org plus I copied some of the questions and comments. Take a look at this, just for information:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Shadow-in-Chest-Xray/sho w/282337

By rkmsim | Oct 18, 2002
8 Comments
Answered by National Jewish
My daughter, age 29, was just told that a recent chest xray showed a shadow. She has to go back next week for another xray. Since I have been treated for cancer, she is absolutely scared to death that this is cancer. She hasn't smoked in over 10 years. What, besides cancer, would appear as a shadow on a chest xray? I have searched all over the web for information but can't find any.
Tags: Chest, respiratory, Chest x, Cancer, daughter, Hope, worry
Tweet

• Abnormal Chest xray Result (3 replies):
My 37 yo husband (former light smoker - less than 5 cigs...[more]
• do not understand (2 replies):
hi i had a xray a few months ago, then 3mths ...[more]
• nodule (1 replies):
I went to my doctor for siniuis promblems once again .....[more]
• 2 small spots in right lung (14 replies):
I am only 23 years old and I am a little worried, about ...[more]
• Worried about chest xray results (3 replies):
I had a chest xray done when I went to the hospital comp...[more]
National Jewish

Oct 24, 2002
A "shadow" could be just about anything. In a 29-year-old woman who hasn't smoked in ten years, the odds are overwhelming that this "shadow" is not cancer and probably of no consequence to her health. Given your concern and the variety of tests that your daughter might need to have done, she should seek consultation with a pulmonary doctor. If your daughter has had a chest x-ray in the past, this should be used for comparison.
8 Comments

starion

Oct 19, 2002
My dad had to have a CT scan because he was told his chest x-ray was "cloudy." It turned out everything was fine. I had to have an echocardiogram because my x-ray appeared to have an enlarged pulmonary artery. Thankfully, that also turned out to be a false alarm & everything is fine. X-rays are full of shadows & light which the radiologist must interpret--so much depends on the angle at which the person is standing, the angle of the camera, how close or far the patient is from the camera & a host of things. Please tell your daughter not to worry & don't you worry until & unless the radiologist tells both of you that there IS something to worry about! Wishing you & your daughter the best! Aloha, Starion

rkmsim

Oct 19, 2002
Thanks for the information! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll pass on that information.

spicer

Oct 21, 2002
Hello - Has your daughter ever had pneumonia? My mother-in-law's x-ray showed a shadow also, but it had been taken at a hospital in another state while they were on vacation, and the doctor there was very concerned about it. My in-laws weren't. She's had this same shadow for years and her personal doctor knows about it....but this new doctor didn't. If they have nothing to compare it to, of course the first time is going to be a concern for all involved until they know for sure what's causing it to appear. Twenty-nine is fairly young, so she has youth on her side as far as her health is concerned. We've all heard stories of a doctor seeing something on an x-ray one week....only to not see it the next, whether it be a mammogram, chest x-ray, or ultrasound. Please tell your daughter not to worry yet, it could be something....or nothing. And whatever happens, she's very lucky to have a caring mom like you. Please let us know how she is....

rkmsim

Oct 24, 2002
Thanks to everyone who has replied. My daughter had another chest xray this week and we are awaiting the results. The doctor wanted to compare them since she didn't have any from before. But, it appears that the shadow is not something of great concern. We will persue it, though, until everyone is satisfied with the explanation.

Missy30

Oct 31, 2002
I am so glad i found this site. I have been a nervous wreck all day and that is no good i know. I read almost all of the respiratory ailments and treatment source and i must say it alone is comforting, there are nice people here. I have not 14.95 to ask a question so professionals can get back to me, so i place this comment/question to those who may or may not respond..I too was told today i have a shadow in my x-ray and my symptoms have yet to fade, ironically they are getting worse with treatment. I am on robitussin with codeine for cough which is sooo bad especially at night i almost cannot catch my breath, i feel a tickle then BAM i am in a coughing fit, i am up now as a result of it this eve...I am getting no relief. They are giving me a cat scan with contrast tomorrow at 1230pm and i hate cat scans as well as needles, i am getting a double whammy tomorrow and i just hope i can make it theough it...I heard things happen to people with contrast, i have a heart condition MVP and i am not sure declination is an option.. ANy advice? In referring back to this person and her age again the irony is almost coincidental. I just turned 30 in August and i have a smoking history, with just re-starting the awful addiction again after a total year of smoke free, prior is 15 yr, i have not smoked much these last few days and i think i am so scared i may not return to it......I hope i am ok to ask these wuestion in comment area, if not i really truly do apologize and i will not be a problem i assure those who keep an eye out in the forum..

Well i hope to read more positive info on this 29 year old, sound like her and i share a common sickness...
Blessings all...
missy30

rkmsim

Nov 01, 2002
To the last comment - I hope everything turns out all right with your tests and that the shadow isn't anything to worry about. My daughter had another chest xray and it was fine. The shadows from before were no longer there. We finally got a copy of the results of the first xray. Since it turns out that the first xray listed nipple shadows and another shadow as being possibly breast tissue, we are now thinking that whoever took the first one may not have had her positioned right or did something else wrong -- like maybe had her pressed up against the machine too hard. In any case, after reading the reports, we got a different perspective of what kind of shadows they were talking about the first time. Had the doctor explained it more fully after the first xray, I'm sure my daughter, and the rest of us, would not have been so concerned. Thanks again to everyone for their comments. I appreciate it.

brokenhearted

Nov 17, 2002
To: missy30
What did your CAT scan reveal? Do you need further tests? Have your doctors considered sarcoidosis? Sarcoidosis can cause many different ailments, including a severe cough and even cardiac problems. It can also be treated. Please post again with your answer.

shalu773

Mar 05, 2009
A related discussion, prominent hillary shadows xray chest was started.

plscsc

Jan 21, 2011
A related discussion, shadow on lung was started.

thankyou.. reading this has put my worries back a bit. god bless you x

I'm glad for a little relief for you. Life is hard enough without having added burdens. I'll be thinking about you and waiting to hear how things go.

Years ago I had an Xray and I happened to be near the tech who was looking at it and he got very excited. Which of course got me very excited, however subsequent CT scan showed it to be a granuloma lesion and nothing to be concerned about. Good luck.

thankyou x

just phoned the hospital to hurry them along with the appointment! x

Mandy ... I surely do hope that everything turns out well for you, but I'm not going to start worrying yet. I'll tell you why. Five years ago, i had some digestive problems and i was diagnosed, after many tests .... X-ray, CAT, MRI, ultrasound -- with a rare liver cancer that most likely gave me only months to live. Frightened, I called every doctor friend I knew, and I have plenty. The best of them, who has been nominated for a Nobel a few times, just snorted. He said, you're not sick, you're not yellow and those are nothing but a bunch of SHADOWS. Wait till the biopsy and then you can worry .... But I doubt if you'll have to. It took them six weeks to get to the biopsy and three more weeks to get the results to me. By then, I should have been in hospice, at least. The biopsy showed something called a focal nodular hyperplasia -- a sort of birthmark or a bunch of misplaced veins sitting on my liver .... In other words, nothing much. And in short, a lesson: I know how hard it is, but do things that help you stay calm. Go shopping and buy something you really want if you can. Read potboilers and watch all the junk on TV that you want to. If you're having tremendous trouble dealing, ask for some tranquilizers or an antidepressant. See friends that make you feel good; DO anything that makes you feel good and skip what doesn't. Be spoiled and if there's a problem, deal with it when all the results are in .....shadows do not tell the story! You will be in my prayers and please keep us posted.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders