Ribble Soup

This is my Great-Grandmother's recipie for chicken soup - we called it Ribble Soup (I believe that the origin is German/Dutch). I found that I could eat this even when I was on the worst chemo.

Ribble Soup
1 chicken - cut up
1 large union
3-4 celery stalks
1 lb. carrots (I buy the small ones that you don't have to cut up)
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 bay leaf
1-2 teaspoons sour salt
kosher salt to taste
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp. salt
1-2 eggs

In a large soup pot saute veggies in olive oil until the onions start to turn translucent.
Add chicken pieces, tarragon, bayleaf, and sour salt and stir in water until it covers the chicken
Bring to a boil and then lower the heat in order to simmer for about 45 minutes (depends on the size of your chicken. Before you add the "ribbles", remove the chicken pieces and tear the meat from the bones and cut into bite-sized pieces.

After about 40 minutes put flour and salt in a small bowl (you can also add parcley if you want to). Make a hole in the middle of your flour for the egg/s. With very flexible hands or as Grandma would say a delft touch sift this mixture through your fingers until you have what looks like tiny spazels (we call these ribbles - unborn noodles). It should still be relatively dry. Pour this mixture into the soup and stir until it thickens. The ribbles should separate. You don't want big globules.

Taste the soup and add pepper and salt to taste. Sometimes I add some tumeric for a richer flavor and a pretty yellow coloring of the stock. Make alot - it's better the second day (if it lasts that long).

P.S. if the sour salt makes it too acid for you just add some sugar.
Let me know how this turns out.

Much Love,
Sharon

2 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Sharon,

This sounds yummy... I will pass on the recipe to my Mother!

Thanks, Jodi

Sharon,

Spent yesterday morning recreating your Great-grandmother's recipe.

I followed your directions (left the skin on the chicken [5 lb. Purdue/cut up myself) and it was lovely.

After Bill ate three helpings, it was put into the fridge and we will have the rest today. As per your advice, plenty was made, and we can enjoy it once again when our daughter arrives to join us for Sunday dinner.

There will be encores for this one, and I thank you for contributing to our soup du jour this weekend. It will be even better today, when all the juices and flavoring meld. Yum.

Barbara

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders