REMEMBER JOHN WAYNE

The actor John Wayne smoked 5 packs of camel cigarettes a day for 40 years before he was diagnosed with LC in 1963.

John Wayne had LC back before there was comprehensive chemo just radiation available.

As such, John Wayne had a pneumonectomy (Left Lung), a few months of follow up radiation and then no reocurrence for 16 years until he developed stomach cancer and died shortly thereafter.

John Wayne is just one of a long list of people who survived 15 or more years after being diagnosed with LC, but most of these survivors have one thing in common and that is, they all had limited LC confined to one lung at the time of diagnosis, and they all were able to have it surgically remove as a first option.

I have one patient at a nursing home I oversee and she had a left lung pneumonectomy in 1978 because of multiple masses in both lobes with minimal lymph node involvement. She is still alive and has had no reoccurence to date!

Keep the faith people.

8 replies. Join the discussion

I need to hear info like this. My lobectomy is scheduled for the 24th and I'm getting mored scared every day. Positive stories help me cope. THANKS!!

Caden - the surgery is a walk in the part - are you having VATS? Don't be scared - be thankful you have the surgical option!!!! Good luck!!
Karen

Yes to VATS. The first surgeon didn't want to do it that way but we found one at the Cleveland Clinic who will. (I learned that much from reading all these posts). Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Caden,

I just want to share with you that I had my left lung removed 13 years ago come July 25th. I have also had chemo and radiations and have been cancer free ever since. I facilitate an In Person Lung Cancer Support Group and I've been doing that for over 8 years now. I'm here to tell you, there are MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY ....................................... Long Term Lung Cancer Survivors in this world. I have a friend from Canada and he is a 31 year (One Lunger) lung cancer survivor. He had his right lung removed when he was 19 because he had lung cancer he's now 50 and still cancer free. I also have a dear friend from Missouri who is a soon to be 19 year One Lunger lung cancer survivor and he too is cancer free today. I have another friend 14 years One Lunger who is cancer free today and doing just fine. And my list goes on and on and on. I have a friend who is a 10 year LC Surivvor of stage IIIA Pancoast Tumor, I have 2 friends who one is 7 and one is 8 year SCLC Survivors and are cancer free today. This really is beatable and treatable. They've come a long ways in the fight against lung cancer.

When I did my chemo 13 years ago, they only had 3 or 4 chemo's to pick from. Now they have many to pick from.

You'll do fine with your surgery. I totally understand your fear. We always fear the unknown. Try hard to think positive. That's 9/10ths of the battle. VAT's is less pain and that's good! You can do this.

The waiting is the worst. Just vent here at LCA and let us help you through the rough spots. We'll get you though this.

Hugs,
LTLCS

So good to read posts like this!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have a wonderful support system of family and friends but they don't really understand, you know? You all have made it so much easier. I'll keep rereading these words between now and then and take comfort from them! It is good to know I'm not alone.

Love to hear about all these survivors of lung cancer! I also have a friend who is a twenty-year one-lunger. Had upper left lobe removed when she was around thirty - then about a year later had the other left lobe removed due to spread. She had no radiation and no chemo. That was about twenty years ago and she's had no recurrences since.

I'm now three years out from surgery myself and am doing well.

Sharon

Aren't these all just wonderful stories?!?!? I love to hear them! Thank you all!

Erin

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders