radiation therapy copay assistance

I've been on Xalkori since August 2011 & doing well, according to CAT scans. Learned on Friday that while the lung tumors are gone, there's a "pocket" in my liver that lit up on my PET scan.

My onc is recommending I continue on Xalkori & undergo CyberKnife for the liver. I'm already using a CacnerCare grant for the Xalkori co-pays. I have a 20% co-pay for OP radiation TX. There's not enough $ from CancerCare to cover both.

Any suggestions?

26 replies. Join the discussion

Here's a few you can check out if you haven't already. Is the co-pay due to Medicare?
Take care, Judy
http://www.copays.org/

https://cissecure.nci.nih.gov/factsheet/FactsheetSearchResult8_3.aspx

http://www.lungcancer.org/get_help/assistance.php

Yes, Medicare Advantage HMO.
I'll check out those links, thanks!

Hey Cards7up, do you have any idea how many people you have helped, including me? You are so knowledgeable and by posting information you help a gigantic number of people. I really appreciate you. Next time I have a drink, I will make a toast to you! Thanks again. You do good!!

The pharmicutical company can give you lots of leads and most of them have their own copay assistance. I take Tarceva and Genentec paid 80% of my copay the first year. When that ran out, they connected me with an organization that is helping me now. Patient Access Network. They are awesome!

I checked out the sites you suggested, Judy, & they only cover co-pays for meds, not radiation TX. I plan to speak with a social worker @ Gilda's Club this week & see if (s)he has any ideas. Also, there's always the social worker @ the hosp. Inital appt/consult with Rad Onc in 12/19; TX likely in January. Gives me a little time to find an answer. Last resort: offer the hosp a $50/month payment plan.

Check with your hospital about a charity plan, My hospital here in NC offers one. It covers any inpatient stay, and any clinics owned by the hospital. The Oncology Dept. is owned by the hospital. They cover Chemo too; however they do not cover labs, raidology or medications outside of a hospital stay. Maybe your local hospital offers some sort of charity plan. Be sure and ask.

Yes, Girlie, I definitely will.

Have you had radiation before and therefore know what your co-pay will be? We all should know that they don't charge the same for Medicare patients as they do for private insurance patients. I tried finding out some costs from Medicare, but they told me I have to go through the provider. The hospital will work with you, so don't stress over it. Sorry, thought the PFA worked with other types of co-pays as well.
Take care, Judy

Yes, I had radiation in 2004. Was on same HMO, too. (Been on a few different insurance plans in between.)
No co-pay back then. I think CyberKnife is more $$$ than regular radiation TX. Will be talking w/Rad Onc &/or SW @ hosp on 12/19 re: cost & co-pay assist.

Alot of providers accept the Medicare payment and do not require the 20 percent copay. Check w the provider. worst cast scenario is to a medical assistance app with the local welfare office....you may be surprised. Always inquire about charity care. People leave endowments to help people like you. Good Luck!

Over the past few weeks I've talked with the SW @ Gilda's Club, the SW @ the hosp where the CyberKnife will be performed, the manager of the rad onc group, the manager of the rad TX @ the hosp, & the ACS. NO LUCK ANYWHERE. So, it'll be $50/month payment plan when the bills start coming in.....best I can do.

Did you find out the cost? Is it being done at a hospital cancer center? You can pay $25 a month if $50 is too much, as they can't refuse any offer. I just started Medicare 12/1/12 and have not used it yet. I have 3 follow-up appts. this month, so should be interesting. Wishing you the best.
Take care, Judy

It'll be @ the hosp. Co-pay for MD & hosp combined will run around $15K. When they start sending bills, I'll offer each $25/month; additional $50/month is within my budget, $100/month is not.

I'm sure they'll accept the offer. I spent 30 years in medical administration & know they'd rather have something than nothing. Just frustrating that there's no other solution. Particularly since it's a publicly-financed hosp.

Those are Medicare costs? Don't sound right.
Take care, Judy

Medicare Advantage HMO covers ony 80% of rad TX. MD cost around $12-$15K, hosp around $55-$60K.

But Medicare has their own amounts and you'd pay only 20% of that amount, not the regular amount that MDA would charge. You need to check with patient financial at the hospital and get the Medicare amount.
Take care, Judy

I know there's a Medicare allowance, but there may be (likely is) a diff between MCR allow & HMO allow - & the HMO allow will be higher. Signing up for MCR Advantage HMO means accepting the HMO's $ structure, not MCR's.

Even if the final co-pay is $10K rather than $15K, it's still way out of my price range.

Medicare

Thank you.

Even with Medicare, HMO, Co-Pay, etc. most big healtcare facilities offer some sort of charity care, endowments. write-offs, and United Way. These avenues need to be explored before you worry yourself sick over money. All of us cancer patients have enough on our plate. Go the extra mile while you have the energy and try to have your ducks in a row. Be kind, be persistent and don't take NO from someone who can't give you a YES. gg

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders