Question.... After Lobectomy

I had lobectomy in Dec 2011. I have to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy on Monday and I am scared about putting to sleep or twilight or whatever they do. I am so anxious I dont know what to do. It is like scanxiety but they dont put you to sleep for a scan.

19 replies. Join the discussion

Hi
Please don't be afraid! It's perfectly normal for you to be anxious and nervous.
Where I work we give anesthesia. The patient is completely asleep for the procedure. I don't know how they do things where your going. Twilight is conscious sedation/mild sedative where you are more awake but comfortable. The anesthesia or twilight they will give you is nothing like the general anesthesia you had for your lobectomy. General anesthesia is where you have a breathing tube placed to breath for you which is what you had for for lobectomy. With your endoscopies you breath on your own.
Lots of people don't even realized that their procedure is done or over.

Francine

Hi,
Sorry you are feeling so stressed, but I did have an endoscopy after I had my lobectomy and it did not have any effect on me. I was out for the procedure and was rather tired for the next few days. That's it.
Good Luck,
Marylou ♥

I just had colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy this month. I have one functioning lung and I am stage 4 nsclc. The only problem I had was with anesthesiologist and GI docs who were afraid to do procedure. They called my oncologist who told them yes they should/could perform the procedures.

Good Anesthesiologists and GI Dr looking out for you! Your health and safety should always be their concern.

Francine

Are you concerned about having any kind of anesthesia now because you've had a lobectomy? The conscious sedation they use is just a mild IV sedative to relax you & to keep you unaware of any discomfort during the procedure. It takes only a half hour usually.
I had a lobectomy in August 2011, & had bilateral mastectomies in Feb 2012 with general anesthesia. I had no problems with that.
The colonoscopy will be over before you know it.
Gail

I'm a little confused about what's worrying you. Is it that they might not sedate you enough, or too much? What they give you for these short procedures will be very short-acting, and they know exactly how long and how much to give you. Don't worry. Sedation is a good thing - you sure don't want a colonoscopy without it!

You'll do fine! MJ

Hi...do not be afraid.. what happened to me is so rare and very unlikely that you would go through much of anything at all. I have had many serious and major surgeries and nothing happened to me . I went to sleep and it seemed like the very next second, i awoke, and usually there are no side effects at all.. i prayed so much and God does hear. Do not be afraid .

Frannie, they were looking out for themselves mostly. I had been cleared for this already. The anesthesiologist was ok 2d time around. The first doc was patronizing. Actually patted me on my hand and said that I had been through enough and I didn't need to be put through unnecessary tests. Unspoken but implied was -since I was going to die soon anyhow.

My cousin, primary care-taker, RN said she thought he was patronizing too, picked up on the unspoken phrase and thought him maybe too inexperienced to be doing this. Second doc called my oncologist to who explained to him that, yes, I am strong enough.

Would your docs consider hypnosis??

I, too, am afraid when I go for my colonoscopy. I think my fear is probably groundless~ how often do people really have a major reaction from the sedation??~ but it is there nonetheless. I recently had the procedure and was fine, just like you will be. Glad it is over for another year, though!
Cathy

Ok, got you I understand now. I don't know about you but sometimes situations like that ticks me off. Glad everything worked for you and your procedures were done.

Francine

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. It truly does help. Keep me in your prayers. God bless all of you. What would I do without all of you? Thank God for each of you.
Cathy

They use such a lite dose to get you to sleep that you really don't even know it. And before you can wink your awake. My doctor told me exactly what he saw and that was nothing. Even if you have a polyp removed, they are rarely cancer.

It is just good practice to do these two test when you have had lung cancer, mine was common to the digestive tract. I at least know that I am A-OK Your news will be good too!!

Just said a prayer for you!
Julie JB

Hi Cblue, I completely understand as I have panic disorder and a phobia of choking, this was a very stressful experience. I should say pre experience as I worried myself to death and it was over before I knew it. I know it's easier said than done but you will be fine and it will be over before you know it. I have to go to get an MRI tomorrow for a brain tumor (supposedly benign). Am not afraid of MRI but worried about the whole process. Just try to relax. You will wonder why you were so worried after like I did. Soothing music coming your way, stephanie

Dear, I understand your fears...but please believe it is going to be okay! If your fear is anesthesia, just as the other posts stated, conscious sedation is a milder form of anesthesia and you will breathe fine just as you do now. Your lungs compensate after a lobectomy....that is the beauty of the human body....adaptation :) Its the physician/staff's job to monitor you throughout the procedure. The outcome just might be good and you'll at least end up with some peace of mind (and a lil nap and a cleansed GI system :). But worst case scenario, if something is identified, its better to find it as early as possible so its great you are getting this done.

Re-read your inspiration on inspire and cast your worries to the Lord :) NEVER underestimate the power of prayer and positivity. With God ALL things are possible. I'll be in your pocket giving you support!

In the meantime, try relaxation techniques such as slow deep breathing exercises and meditation (I tried Depok Chopra's and I fell asleep 1/4 of the way into the program!) and visualization. Prayers to lift you up. Healing hugs.

Do call your doctor's office and ask for an anxiety med. Even a low dose will help you feel so much better.

I am sorry you are so nervous, but I totally understand. i was never big on medical procedures, but after going all that I have this past year for lc (and continuing) I am so dreading "routine" things now. I am way overdue on my girl tests and I know I will be a mess even though before I was never that bothered by going. We have all had enough poking and proding!

I hope you do well and lots of prayers and good thoughts to you!

Hugs, Lynn

Cblue:

I too had a lobectomy (2010) and just recently had my first colonoscopy. They gave me mild IV sedation and it was no problem at all - I was chatting with the doctor and was watching the process on the screen all the way through. I would say "Nothing to worry about - at all." (I can't help you on the endoscopy - I haven't had one of those.)

Take care,

John

Just go home from having an endoscopy. Don't remember a thing. Wish I hadn't spent so much time needlessly worrying...Got results right away...Don't fret!!!

Joy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders