President Obama signs Recalcitrant Cancer Act!

Woohoo! A step closer to a cure!

http://www.lungcanceralliance.org/blog/its-official-president-obama-signs-h igh-mortality-cancer-bill-into-law/

23 replies. Join the discussion

I love this man!! What exactly does this mean for people with LC now?

Yahoo!

Very nice to see. Not necessarily for benefits in my lifetime, but very good news for the future either way. Thank you for giving us a heads-up!

Best hopes,

I think the bottom line is that it provides more federal research funding to the deadly cancers where mortality rates have not improved in the past 50 years or so, with pancreatic and lung cancer being high priority.

Yippee!

Yes, very glad to see your President is forcing NCI to come up with a plan within the next 18 months as to how they intend to bring that survival rate up. These cancers have been ignored far too long and they have spent very little money in searching for the cure or better drugs to keep it under control, time for them to invest some of that reasearch funding into lung and pancreatic cancers too. And giving that deadline to them is AWESOME!!!! They are now legislated to do it! Finally, we may start seeing some results over the next couple of years. Great news for all cancer patients!

Again, I love him!!!!

Yaaaaay! (And thank you, Mr. President!)
Gail

Amazing-finally a voice. God bless us All.

I'm glad this bill finally passed. Here's the text of the bill, for those who are interested. It comprises section 1083 of H.R.4310 (National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013).

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c112:7:./temp/~c112gGHCKB::

SEC. 1083. SCIENTIFIC FRAMEWORK FOR RECALCITRANT CANCERS.
Subpart 1 of part C of title IV of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 285 et seq.) is amended by adding at the end the following:
‘‘SEC. 417G. SCIENTIFIC FRAMEWORK FOR RECALCITRANT CANCERS.
‘‘(a) DEVELOPMENT OF SCIENTIFIC FRAMEWORK.—
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—For each recalcitrant cancer identified under subsection (b), the Director of the Institute shall develop (in accordance with subsection (c)) a scientific framework for the conduct or support of research on such cancer.
‘‘(2) CONTENTS.—The scientific framework with respect to a recalcitrant cancer shall include the following:
‘‘(A) CURRENT STATUS.—
‘‘(i) REVIEW OF LITERATURE.—A summary of
findings from the current literature in the areas of—
‘‘(I) the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment
of such cancer;
‘‘(II) the fundamental biologic processes that
regulate such cancer (including similarities and
differences of such processes from the biological
processes that regulate other cancers); and
‘‘(III) the epidemiology of such cancer.
‘‘(ii) SCIENTIFIC ADVANCES.—The identification of
relevant emerging scientific areas and promising scientific advances in basic, translational, and clinical
science relating to the areas described in subclauses
(I) and (II) of clause (i).
‘‘(iii) RESEARCHERS.—A description of the availability
of qualified individuals to conduct scientific
research in the areas described in clause (i).
‘‘(iv) COORDINATED RESEARCH INITIATIVES.—The
identification of the types of initiatives and partnerships
for the coordination of intramural and extramural
research of the Institute in the areas described
in clause (i) with research of the relevant national
research institutes, Federal agencies, and non-Federal
public and private entities in such areas.
‘‘(v) RESEARCH RESOURCES.—The identification of
public and private resources, such as patient registries
and tissue banks, that are available to facilitate
research relating to each of the areas described in
clause (i).
‘‘(B) IDENTIFICATION OF RESEARCH QUESTIONS.—The identification of research questions relating to basic, translational, and clinical science in the areas described in subclauses (I) and (II) of subparagraph (A)(i) that have not been adequately addressed with respect to such recalcitrant cancer.
‘‘(C) RECOMMENDATIONS.—Recommendations for appropriate actions that should be taken to advance research in the areas described in subparagraph (A)(i) and to address the research questions identified in subparagraph (B), as well as for appropriate benchmarks to measure progress on achieving such actions, including the following:
‘‘(i) RESEARCHERS.—Ensuring adequate availability
of qualified individuals described in subparagraph
(A)(iii).
‘‘(ii) COORDINATED RESEARCH INITIATIVES.—Promoting and developing initiatives and partnerships
described in subparagraph (A)(iv).
‘‘(iii) RESEARCH RESOURCES.—Developing additional
public and private resources described in
subparagraph (A)(v) and strengthening existing resources.
‘‘(3) TIMING.—
‘‘(A) INITIAL DEVELOPMENT AND SUBSEQUENT UPDATE.—
For each recalcitrant cancer identified under subsection
(b)(1), the Director of the Institute shall—
‘‘(i) develop a scientific framework under this subsection not later than 18 months after the date of
the enactment of this section; and
‘‘(ii) review and update the scientific framework
not later than 5 years after its initial development.
‘‘(B) OTHER UPDATES.—The Director of the Institute
may review and update each scientific framework developed under this subsection as necessary.
‘‘(4) PUBLIC NOTICE.—With respect to each scientific framework developed under subsection (a), not later than 30 days after the date of completion of the framework, the Director of the Institute shall—
‘‘(A) submit such framework to the Committee on
Energy and Commerce and Committee on Appropriations of the House of Representatives, and the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions and Committee on Appropriations of the Senate; and
‘‘(B) make such framework publically available on the
Internet website of the Department of Health and Human
Services.
‘‘(b) IDENTIFICATION OF RECALCITRANT CANCER.—
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 6 months after the date of the enactment of this section, the Director of the Institute shall identify two or more recalcitrant cancers that each—
‘‘(A) have a 5-year relative survival rate of less than
20 percent; and
‘‘(B) are estimated to cause the death of at least 30,000
individuals in the United States per year.
‘‘(2) ADDITIONAL CANCERS.—The Director of the Institute may, at any time, identify other recalcitrant cancers for purposes of this section. In identifying a recalcitrant cancer pursuant to the previous sentence, the Director may consider additional metrics of progress (such as incidence and mortality rates) against such type of cancer.
‘‘(c) WORKING GROUPS.—For each recalcitrant cancer identified under subsection (b), the Director of the Institute shall convene a working group comprised of representatives of appropriate Federal agencies and other non-Federal entities to provide expertise on,
and assist in developing, a scientific framework under subsection
(a). The Director of the Institute (or the Director’s designee) shall participate in the meetings of each such working group.
‘‘(d) REPORTING.—
‘‘(1) BIENNIAL REPORTS.—The Director of NIH shall ensure that each biennial report under section 403 includes information on actions undertaken to carry out each scientific framework developed under subsection (a) with respect to a recalcitrant cancer, including the following:
‘‘(A) Information on research grants awarded by the
National Institutes of Health for research relating to such cancer.
‘‘(B) An assessment of the progress made in improving
outcomes (including relative survival rates) for individuals diagnosed with such cancer.
‘‘(C) An update on activities pertaining to such cancer
under the authority of section 413(b)(7).
‘‘(2) ADDITIONAL ONE-TIME REPORT FOR CERTAIN FRAMEWORKS.—
For each recalcitrant cancer identified under subsection
(b)(1), the Director of the Institute shall, not later
than 6 years after the initial development of a scientific framework under subsection (a), submit a report to the Congress on the effectiveness of the framework (including the update required by subsection (a)(3)(A)(ii)) in improving the prevention, detection, diagnosis, and treatment of such cancer.
‘‘(e) RECOMMENDATIONS FOR EXCEPTION FUNDING.—The Director of the Institute shall consider each relevant scientific framework developed under subsection (a) when making recommendations for exception funding for grant applications.
‘‘(f) DEFINITION.—In this section, the term ‘recalcitrant cancer’ means a cancer for which the five-year relative survival rate is below 50 percent.’’.

YEA! Hopefully a lot of the people here will "hang in there" to benefit from any new advances. More reason to continue on.

Not to get political here, but this was NOT Obama's bill.. He had very little to do with it, and merely signed it. The credit goes to both democratic and republican law makers.

From the official news release, "The primary sponsors included Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), then Senator and now Kansas Governor Sam Brownback, Senator Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Senator John Kerry (D-MA), and House of Representatives members Donna Christensen (D-VI), Lois Capps (D-CA), Ed Whitfield (R-KY) and Frank LoBiondo (R-NJ)."

I don't think anyone is saying that it's Obama's bill but it does require a president to sign to pass.

Exactly what is needed in the war. Money for research! Thanks Mr. President.
jo

No... rather.. thank you... Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), then Senator and now Kansas Governor Sam Brownback, Senator Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Senator John Kerry (D-MA), and House of Representatives members Donna Christensen (D-VI), Lois Capps (D-CA), Ed Whitfield (R-KY) and Frank LoBiondo (R-NJ)."

Wait until Obamacare kicks in, and health care rationing begins.

ihatepeas,

FYI, we always had health care rationing -- based on wealth rather than merit. To me that issue was a question of whether productive people should die merely for lack of insurance (which was claimed to amount to about 15,000 deaths, including one I personally know who was bright, well-respected and appreciated IT professional but died because of lack of insurance during this prolonged recession).

Best hopes,

ihatepeas - I would thank the same people, plus obama. As to rationing, I agree with craiginpa. Plus, every time that you have to get an authorization and fight for coverage with your insurance company, what do you think is happening? These are all manifestations of the growth of managed care, a ship which already set sail many years ago. If anything, if it weren't for some legal protections set forward by some states it would be worse (I have had very different protections having lived in more than one state and can tell you I have much more protection in NY than I did in Arizona). Obamacare at least sets some minimum standards by which the insurance companies must abide.

Look at the cancer survival rate in the US compared to the UK and you'll see how "well" socialized medicine works.

Obamacare is far from socialized medicine.

Can't we just be thrilled with attention coming to this awful disease instead of bickering about whether or not "this was Obama's bill" or whether "Obamacare" is socialized medicine? Geez.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders