Post Lobectomy stomach problems??

Ok so I now have my pain under control with acupuncture but I am having digestion problems. Have any of you had issues with acid reflux or other stomach related stuff post op. I feel like a need to burp but no matter how many times I do, i still feel a sense of fullness and discomfort in my right side chest/back. Now I am worried that it is my gallbladder. That's all I need!

16 replies. Join the discussion

I would have the docs rule out the GB thing. I also had/have issues with severe heartburn and blasted hiccups. Are you taking any pain meds? They can cause a lot of stomach problems. I was taking Motrin 800 for some joint problems and when I stopped taking them it did help the heartburn. I had my GB out 16 years ago, so that is not an issue. I still have some minor problems on the surgical side (surgery 4/08/08). I also have problems when eating, seems to get stuck, or at least a feeling that the stuff is stuck on the way down. I am trying to eat slower and drink more h2o while eating to see if that will help.
Good luck and have a great holiday.

Sarah

Anesthesia can cause nearly any problem you name. Could be? Have you tried baking soda?

I am taking a pill for acid reflex but that doesn't seem to do fix the proble. assuming i mix baking soda with water??

Digestive problems were a huge issue for me post lobectomy. I had my lower left lobe removed, and I assume that all that extra space in my lower chest/abdomen allowed organs to shift. I was already taking nexium, but it was still not enough to control the gerd at times. I also had amazing gas with lots of burping--it always seemed to worsen when I'd lay down. That went on for at least a year--but it has resolved now. I don't think a lot of attention is paid to all of the side effects from surgery and chemo--but by all means talk to your Dr. about any symptom that is worrisome or troublesome.

Anyone with acid refux should drink a glass of warm water (very warm,not hot) at the FIRST sign of discomfort. The warm water will break up the acid.

Well, I sometimes get disgusted and so my behavior is sometimes disgusting.

Instead of drinking a bunch, I often pour a small amt (maybe half a teaspoon or less) and just lick it. I warned you I can be gross! The idea of adding water to discomfort or pain in too much.

Another thing that helps is when my husband pounds my back?????

My doctor prescribed Nexium and Pepcid AC for me. I had my surgery July 25th and I find that even almost 5 months later when I try and stop taking them I get reflux problems.

I had my RUL removed and my right breast feels so heavy that I cannot go without a bra for very long. Last time I saw the surgeon I asked him if he put a 50 pound weight in there while he was removing my lobe. He assured me that he did not, but I have my suspicions.

I never had stomach problems before my surgery but now All Bran and prunes have become my best friends.

Debra

Debber, you are so funny but everything you say is so true. When I wear the bra it feels like i have straight jacket on and when I don't I feel the heaviness. I have to constantly remind myself to stand up straight because since the surgery i tend to walk like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

I take Zantac daily for acid reflux and two TUMS before bedtime. I had my surgery RLL on 06/06. I have since then burped constantly. Sometimes I get full immediately too. My surgeon told me long ago that my heart has shifted from the surgery and I am sure that there is a big space in there where the rest of my lung should be.

my mon is 8 week post op from a right upper lobe removal she is also experiencing the burping and feeling sick at her stomach she says if that would go away she would feel much better she is going to the dr today maybe he can give her something i think he thinks its a nervous stomach at this point

Nexium may solve your stomach problems.It worked wonders for me.

my mom is experiencing the same problem with digestion after surgery and lots of belching i wish i knew why she has trouble eating and feels sick at her stomach alot does any one know why this happens after this surgery??????

Lots of hiccups, during almost every meal. I have to stop, slow way down, and have lots of water. (LLL May 1, 2009) And lots of pain in the area of the lowest front rib.

I have the same problems, even now months after chemo and surgery, I get acid relux, cannot be gall bladder as it is gone... I took prilosec for 14 days recently and helped but back again. Had to sleep with 2 pillows during chemo, it was so bad. It seems it is right at the top of my throat and I try to be careful about burping. Hope it gets better for you, I am ready to take another 14 days of prilosec. Prayers with you

I was doing better on nexium but have been off4 days waiting for insurance&dr to approve.Mylanta helps but when I really feeel fullness and can't burp Diet Coke helps the most.I am old enough to remember coke syrup used to be sold to settle tummyaches.I am fat so use the diet type.I also do not lay down after eating.Goodluck to all,Gerd is no fun Andi B

I think that its from the anaesthesia and possibly some IV antibiotics they give you, but certainly the painkillers can cause big problems. I never took anything but 8 hour Tylenol after my lobectomy, and that did the trick for me. I still occasionally have that wierd pain after I eat but I read that you will have strange pains for a while. the other problem was a small lung collapse. Have you had an X-ray since the surgery to check on your lung? That can cause pain. I always had reflux so I take Prilosec at night before dinner and Zantac in the morning, and that seemed to work after surgery as well.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders