PET Scan SUV

I had a PET Scan performed yesterday. I have a nodule that was 7 mm in 2009 and now is 11 mm in 2011. The PET Scan said the SUV was 0.7. Since the nodule in 4 mm larger than 2 years ago they have recommended a biopsy and want me to see a Thorsaic Surgeon. This is never ending for me. 4 CT Scans later and a PET Scan and still cannot tell what the nodule is and I still need a biopsy. What is SUV 0.7? I am a former smoker. Thanks.

17 replies. Join the discussion

Julie2009,

SUV is glucose that is put into your body right before the scan and it will light up if there is cancer and sometimes it will light up if there is no cancer.Your size and SUV are so small I doubt its cancer but I am no DR.
If I where you I would try to have Cyber Knife done.I had one that small that they followed for year and a half and then it just disappeared.

.7 is nothing for SUV on a PET. If it was cancer it would be over at least 2.5. They are probably recommending what they are to give you peace of mind. Smoking for 5 years and then quitting wouldn't put you in the top percentage for LC. Hoping it's nothing and you find out soon. Take care, Judy

Thanks for your replies. The doctors are worried about it because it grew from 7 mm on CT to 11 mm on CT in the past 2 years. I have asked my primary doctor to get me an authorization for cyberknife and she also recommends I see a Thorasic surgeon. Don't know if my insurance will cover cyberkife. I have to wait til January 2012 to get a PPO. Thanks again. Have a great day :) Julie

p.s. My doctor did not know what cyberknife is.

Sorry to throw a monkeywrench into this, but my BAC nodule did not grow in 8 months and had no uptake on the PET. It was so slow-growing, that the lung surgeons thought it was nothing. I finally opted for surgery (the same day I had a hysterectomy to prevent ovarian cancer), the thoracic surgeon biopsied the lung, sent it to path, and I had a lobectomy that same day. It was a wee early stage indolent cancer, so sometimes the slow growing doesn't show up. Get the biopsy and know that it is LIKELY benign, but best to know for sure and get it OUT if it is an early cancer. I had no chemo for the lung (I'd had it for the breast cancer), so the surgery was the only tx. Best wishes and PRAYERS that it is not cancer. xoxo
Nancy

Surgery is the best hope for a cure of early stage operable cancer. It sounds awful to have surgery, but to remove a tumor is better than radiation, I was told. I sooooooo wanted to avoid surgery, but all of my doctors told me that surgery is best!!!
Hugs,
Nancy

I had suspicious nodule in my lung for at least 5 years unable to biopsy.Get that nasty out of your body. I wished my surgeon had been more aggressive 5 years ago. I had my surgery done under VATS which is video assisted surgery 4 small cuts and i was out of hospital in 3 days.Shelagh

teacherN,

All your Dr's told you surgery is the best, are these the same DR's that tell you how long your going to live.
I suggest you do some research on Cyber knife.I see your grouping all radiation in one.Which tells me you have no idea what Cyber knife or how it works.Like I said I am no DR but I will be dammed if I will believe everything a DR says.

Well, it was best for me. :-) n

TeacherN,
Good for you for being aggressive and going for the surgery. You did go through a lot but you seem to have made a sound decision. If I had been you, I think I would have done the same just to get rid of it.

I was hoping that I would be eligible for Cyberknife, or sterotactic radiation, to zap my main tumor. The oncologist said because it is floating in the middle of the lung, it can't be safely targeted. It is moving around. It seems that even the greatest technologies can't be used in every situation. Maybe they will figure out how to handle tumors like these someday.

Thank you, Godiva!
xoxo Nancy

HiI, I would get that out ofme ASAP wish would of found husbands sooner. We live up in China Hills.

You want a tissue sample of it anyway, so zapping it away won't help you. That it is floating is good. Not touching anything. With the biopsy, you will know what type of cell is in there IF and that is a big IF it is cancer. But it is definitely best to get it out. I think I watched and waited too long. My nodule was floating in the right middle lobe and everyone was sure it would be cured with surgery, but my nodule was almost 3cm before surgery and my SUV went from 1 to 16 prior to surgery. Get it out of your chest and out of your life while it is still little. Good Luck!

Wow - thanks for all the advice. I did not know about floating nodules/tumors. I am going to see a Thorasic Surgeon as soon as I get authorization from my insurance, but I still want more information on the cyberknife procedure - so I can get educated about different procedures I may have done if this turns out to be cancerous. Unfortunately I am also thinking that there must be something to it if it grew 4 mm in the last 2 years. I also have emphysema so I am not too happy about having part of my lung removed, I dread that my breathing capacity will be so low that I will need oxygen. That is why I am also looking into cyberkife. So I had a PET scan and still know nothing??? So I will probably need a biopsy anyway. They said they would have to do a needle biopsy and I am petrified. I would like to be put asleep for the procedure, but I don't know if that is possible. They said even if my biopsy is negative I would still have to keep having PET Scans. The unknown is so hard. Thanks again :) Julie

Hi Julie,
Just to verify that my Oncologist also said that surgery was the only way they could actually go for a cure. However, as you know from Inspire, there are a lot of people living with cancer and being treated as if it were a chronic disease.

On the Needle biopsy, you said you are petrified. Well, out of all the tests I had, this is the one that scared me the most. Please don't be. You are awake, but you have so much "Happy Juice" in you that you will be chatting with the nurse as if she was one of your best friends during high school.

HA, I was even giving the doctor directions while he was doing the job. My nurse was a darling woman. Her name was Christine, and she told my husband that I was one of her funniest patients. She said most men would have been snoring away with the amount of sedative she gave me. I was just fine, and you will be too.
Hope this helps,
Marylou ♥

Are you saying that the biopsy was pain free? That they give us a sedative to relieve the pain? Maybe your right surgery may be excellent, but I also think cyberknife may have some merit and leave most of my lungs functioning??? I am so mixed up on what to do, I don't want to be off from work for 3 months or so - and with cyberknife I could probably go back to work the next week if no sooner. As for recurrence - I have not looked at the #s to see if the survival rate is better with surgery vs. cyberknife. I just do not know what to do.

Cyberknife is a treatment for cancer when they know it's cancer. Even though it says knife, it is radiation treatment. Since they don't know if you have cancer, they most likely wouldn't do it. Can they do a bronchoscopy to reach the nodules? Might be worth checking into. As for needle biopsy, I had two and was actually knocked right out. I'm very sensitive to anesthesia so that's probably why. Good luck and take care, Judy

Your right CyberKife is a treatment when they know it is cancer, but I want a biopsy and while I am having a biopsy I want the markers put in (just in case it is cancer) at the same time so I won't have to repeat the procedure. If it turns out to be cancer I can have the cyberknife done you need the markers in so the cyberkife hits only the spot that is cancerous and the good part of the lung doesn't get damaged. Since we breath the markers will make sure the cyberkife does not get the other lung tissue - if it is not cancer and I have the markers in place - there is no problem. I want to lick the problem at the bud. What do you think?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders