PET scan did not show my lung cancer

I had lung surgery for a cancerous nodule that lit up on my PET scan. While they were in there, they removed another nodule that turned out to be cancerous, also. (A separate cancer) This did not light up on my PET scan. So, I guess, in the future, I should not have PET scans and go right to a biopsy for anything that shows up on a CT scan?

3 replies. Join the discussion

What was a separate cancer? Not everything will necessarily show up on a PET, it may not be large enough to light up at the time of the scan. You're doctor will know what to do if you end up having a recurrence. Though that PET didn't show one area, a new one might show it somewhere else. What did you end up being diagnosed with? Take care, Judy

Slow-growing cancers may not light up on a PET scan. If the cancer is not growing rapidly, then the cells are not burning energy to divide rapidly. This actually can cause problems with a biopsy, too. They are all tools with limitations, but even apparent "non-information" yields another piece of the puzzle. So if you have a new nodule, and it doesn't light up on a PET you will at least know that it is not a rapidly growing nodule.

I had two separate tumors - l moderately-differentiated adenocarcinoma, predominantly papillary tupe, measuring 0.8 cm in greatest dimension and the second tumor was 0.6cm in greatest dimension, well-differentiated adenocarcinoma predominantly lepidic type - minimally invasive ( just copied all this from my report!)
Tumor is positive for CK7 and TTF-1 and negative for CK20, cdx-2, WT-1, mammaglobin and GCDFP-15 (whatever the hell this means!)
The smaller tumor did not light up on the PET scan

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders