PET results - tumor inactive, effusion increase?

I had my first PET scan a week ago. After 6 months on Xalkori the tumor is down from 5 cm to about 1 cm. It is considered "inactive". The pleural effusion seems to have increased some since my previous two CT scans. I don't have any symptoms and the fluid did not "light up" on the PET. My doctor would like to have some taken out and tested to see if there are cancer cells in it. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm also going to have another CT in 6 weeks to check the fluid.

Sue

5 replies. Join the discussion

My experience began when they drained 1.4 l out of my left lung. They took out 140 ml about a month later. I'm guessing it's dry now... The fluid contained nsclc, I'm happy to have it gone. The procedure isn't difficult. There was some pain during the first drain but that's avoidable if the Dr keeps the flow rate slow, especially after .8-.9 l, if you have that much to drain.
Get it done ASAP, all benefit, no risk.

I've had it done before so I'm not concerned about the procedure. I'm just wondering why I have an increase in fluid if the tumor is now pretty small and inactive.

Ah, ok. I've read that the effusion may continue, some require talc to stop it, but that's beyond my knowledge or experience!
Ron

My husband's Dr. Told us that the body creates fluid as a response to an over active lymph system dealing with too much drug and dead tumor overload. It is a natural response and we shouldn't worry. It will subside eventually on it's own. Good luck!

That's interesting information. After comparing the scan to my previous CT it looks like I'm laying at a different angle. I remember being more "propped up" so that could have something to do with it. I decided to wait on the thoracentesis and just see what the next scan shows.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders