Oxygen Hyperbaric Treatments

Hello Everyone:

My dad had an MRI on 8/19 and his on tumor which is located right on his brain stem appears to be larger OR developed Radiation Necrosis. He was put on steroids for 6wks, 20mg, 16mg, 8mg, and now on 4mg, we re-scanned today and the tumor appears to be stable still. The next step is the Oxygen Hyperbaric Treatments, he is scheduled for 30-45min treatments for the next 30days.

I'm interested to know if any one has had any Oxygen Hyperbaric Treatments done and if it actually helped with their necrosis or noticed any tumor shrinkage?

We're a bit nervous about this, other wise dad is feeling good and works everyday. He is still on his maintenance Chemo (Alimta) and holding up well, just that this one tumor in the brain is still causing him to get some occasional headaches. Thanks for your help & take care, Julia

9 replies. Join the discussion

Julia

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) for Radiation-induced WBRT

Treating Radiation Necrosis of the Brain with Avastin

http://cancerfocus.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1131

Greg

Hello Greg: How are you? Thank you for sending over the information. Our oncologist was originally planning on giving my dad carbo/alimta/avastin but we didn't do the avastin because he's on a blood thinner. It appears that we may need to in the future. We'll see the cardiologist and see if there's any other meds we can give him besides the Coumadin.

Thanks again & take care, Julia

Julia

Yes. Anticoagulants (blood thinners) such as warfarin (Coumadin); irinotecan (Camptosar); and sunitinib (Sutent). Best wishes!

Greg

I would be interested in the outcome of the oxy chamber treatments since I have pulmonary fibrosis and only 46 per cent lung power (info is 4 months old).

My pulmonologist insists that there is nothing to be done for the damage and she was recommended to me by the Mayo Clinic. Also we can never get in a clinical trial unless we have an unknown cause of scarring.

Good luck to you.

Desertdweller

Perhaps Avastin could be a treatment for radiation fibrosis? http://cancerfocus.org/forum/showthread.php?t=714

Greg

I read something on this, keep us posted! Supposedly cancer does not like oxygen, this tx induces 02 intot he body, I pray it works, sounds great!
Cindy

Cindy

I looked into that very same suggestion about HBOT making cancer grow, back in 2000, when I was looking into HBOT for my wife's whole brain radiation-induced necrosis. What I found out was that is that there is two distinct differences between tumor angiogenesis and wound-healing angiogenesis (Feldmeier et al, 1994).

Tumors are hypoxic: a low-oxygen environment that is common in tissues around solid tumors. This can directly or indirectly activate VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor), thereby starting angiogenesis. VEGF is an important activator of angiogenesis. VEGF causes endothelial cells to grow. VEGF causes angiogenesis by attaching to special receptors (proteins on the outside of cancer cells that act like doorways) and this action starts a series of chemical reactions inside the cell.

It's probably why Avastin for radiation-induced necrosis has been successful. Avastin inhibits VEGF, thus inhibiting endothelial cell growth.

Wound-healing from radiation necrosis requires oxygen delivery to the injured tissues. Radiation damaged tissue has lost blood supply and is oxygen deprived. Chronic radiation complications can result from scarring and narrowing of the blood vessels within the area which has received the treatment. HBOT can lead to growth of new blood vessels in a process called re-vascularization. It also fights infection by direct bacteriocidal effects.

Purified oxygen is defined as a drug but is the most natural of all drugs. Oxygen under pressure is still the same gas but is more able to penetrate into parts of the body where the arterial flow is hindered, producing loss of blood flow and lack of oxygen. In addition to raising the arterial levels of oxygen 10 to 15 times higher than that produced by normal atmospheric pressure, the pressure exerted within the body can exert therapeutic benefits on acute and chronically traumatized and swollen tissues.

Greg

Yes, the outcome should be very interesting, I have read some of the same information as posted above. Love input!
I have heard about levels of 02, the damage/benefit of different ways of administration to our bodies in the matter of tumors.
I hope this works wonders!
Cindy

Thank you for all the responses, along with the information. We met with the HBOT doctor yesterday and dad is being scheduled for 90 minute treatments for the next 40 days. He will start as soon as his cardiologist does an cardio-echo-gram. The chamber is similar to an MRI machine except the tube is clear on top. He needs to shower each day and must come in clean with no decordants or after shave, body sprays, etc. all natural. He will change in to some scrubs and start the treatments, there are 4 chambers in one room, so one does have neighbors and each patient has their own TV, what a plus! (lol) I'm hoping that this will work, and help dad with this stubborn spot in the brain. I just don't want him to have any more headaches, even though the steroids are currently helping with that. They do more bad than good raising his blood sugars and making him puffy. The doctor plans to get him off all steroids after he's had one full week of HBOT. He will continue with his maintence of Alimta, he has two more cycles left and once he finish HBOT he'll get re-scanned MRI of the brain and CT for chest in November. I'm going to see if they will do a PET scan of the entire body, since he hasn't had one done since this whole mess started. We are hoping for him to be stable, dad does mind the treatments and he's being a trooper. He's wishes for 5yrs but, I'm wishing for so much more.

I'll keep everyone posted, thanks again and take care, Julia

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders