need good VATS surgeon

I live in NY but would be willing to travel where necessary to find a good surgeon who does VATS (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery). Can anyone recommend?

42 replies. Join the discussion

Dr. F. Steiner at Morristown Memorial Hospital. He is or was a member of a practice called North Jersey Thorasic Surgical Associates. http://www.north-jersey-thoracic.com/. He is a fine surgeon and a hell of nice guy. Very caring. Always has time for hir patient. I was never rushed at any time. I hope you make out as well as I have - it's been over a year now and I'm doing very well.

Hi Timmi,
Dr. Harvey Pass at NYU Medical Center was excellent w my VATS. I had mine in June of last year and the scars are minimal. I had stage 1 Adenocarcinoma and doing great! Cancer free so far!!!!
Maggie

Dr. Timothy Sherwood, at Mary Wash Hospital, Fredericksburg, VA, he is wonderful, the best ever. He is very well known and respected, he is wonderful.

Hello Timmi.
Can i just mention mine even though we are at the other end of the world.
His name is Mr J Dahabreh (Jordanian)and he works in the Athen Medical Centre.
He is The Best, Perfectionist,Genius.
Seeing is believing,i have met hundred of his patients while waiting for my appointment and NEVER heard a bad word about his surgeries.
Good Luck

If you want some sunshine and the best robotic surgeon for lung cancer come to Florida and see Dr. Eric Toloza at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa.

I had mine done at Sloan in NYC. My surgeon was Dr. Bernard Park - who now heads up the Thoracic Surgery at Hackensack University Medical Cancer Center. When I was doing my research, I was fortunate to have the chief medical reporter from CBS on my team. She indicated that all of the people at Sloan were tops. when I told her they had put me with Park, she wondered why I wouldn't want the head of the division. What she indicated was that all of those folk are truly qualified, and then she said (copied this out of the email) :the person I was talking about this morning is the chief of thoracics
> and is highly regarded by every one I know her name is Valerie Rusch...I
don't know why her name is not on that list...it should be
>
> as far as the other guys go....Park does minimally invasive lung tumor
> removal...is your friend a candidate for this???
>
> also Downey I know as well but RUSCH is the person that people
> typically seek out for lung ca surgery
>
> having said all that...HE WILL BE FINE WITH ANY OF THESE PEOPLE!!
>
> and as I said there are excellent top surgeons in his area who would
> probably do exactly what any of these people would do

Hope this helps

Courage

Chum

Had one other thought. I liked being at Sloan because all they do is treat cancer. I figured (after the fact) that there was less chance of getting infection at a hospital that only deals with cancer than at a "regular" hospital where infections of every variety abound.

My first day in the hospital was Thanksgiving. They told me I could schedule meals any time up to 7 p.m. that I just needed to give them an hour's head start. I had my first Thanksgiving dinner at noon - then, about 5:30 a call came for me from them reminding me that if I wanted another meal, I should order it. I did - a fine second Thanksgiving dinner! I LOVED the hospital food at Sloan. Further, the little touches there were great - fresh flowers in the room each day, caring competent people everywhere, and all testing done right there.

Courage

Chum

Google Dr Raja Flores at Mt Sinai Medical Center in NY, NY. He is Chief Thoracic Surgeon there and he was extraordinarily impressive, though he considered my wife not to be a present surgery candidate. Note his VATS accomplishments/credentials.

I had Bernard Crawford at NYU in NY city - he is amazing, I had ;literally no pain after my surgery and he hads an amazing bed soide manner as well..

All wonderful choices. Do your research. We chose Mayo, Jacksonville, FL. Dr. O'Dell. He too has all the above credentials. Jim had 1b nsclc of the LUL, removed on Feb. 7, 2012 and is NED. Loved that Doc.

Dr. Michael Liptay
Rush Medical Center
Chicago, IL

My upper left lobe was removed by Dr. Todd Demmy via VATS two years ago.
I am doing very well. My doctor was recommended to me by my breast cancer oncologist. Good Luck to you.
Below is contact information for Dr. Demmy at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY. Also a link regarding VATS.Click here: http://mission.roswellpark.org/sites/mission.roswellpark.org/files/Tip%20Sh eet-LUNG11_2_11%20WEB.pdf

Todd Demmy, MD
Contact Information
Phone: (716) 845-1229
Roswell Park Cancer Inst
Thoracic Surgery Dept
Elm & Carlton Sts
Buffalo, NY 14263

I thank you all. It is such a tough decision to know who to go with. I thought I picked a great surgeon with my thyroidectomy and ended up with permanent nerve damage, so I am gun shy.
Again THANKS!

If you are willing to fly to NC- Dr. Thomas D'Amico at Duke University Medical Center is a thoracic surgeon with an extensive history of VATS experience. He came highly recommended to me. Patients travel from all over the country to see him.

Here is his contact info- also see video link in right upper section-

http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians/thomas_a_damico
Appointment/Office Telephone
919-684-4891

The best of the best - Dr. Robert McKenna of Cedars-Sinai in LA. My wife has her LLL exactly one month ago - she's as good as new. Her surgery and follow-up care is magnificent. Since you live in NY - this is the Peter Luger of VATS surgery - no comparison on any level to anyone else. Good luck with your choice.

I also used Dr. Raja Flores at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Manhattan. He is wonderful! And he used to be at Sloan Kettering.

Another piece of advice (sure you need more and more input... makes the decision process so easy LOL): choose the hospital that does the most operations (VATS or lobectomy, you choose) and then choose the doctor who does the most operations of that kind at the hospital. There is a documented learning curve and practice, in these cases, does make better (never perfect). When I was diagnosed, my doctor recommended that I stay local with a surgeon with "golden hands" that he would "trust to operate on his own mother." The hospital that was associated with this surgeon did 120 thoracic surgeries each year and the doctor did 12 of those. I chose Sloan-Kettering because they performed 760 operations each year and the doctor I finally picked, Bernard Park, did 120 a year... and taught some of the other fine surgeons at Sloan how to use the Divinci.

Choices are hard... but speed is important. Get the beast cut out ASAP.

Courage

Chum

We chose Dr. Robert Cameron of Los Angeles, who does his surgery at the NEW Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. He performed the first VATS in CA in 1995. When I asked how many has he done, he said wow-probably 5-10000.
Ronald Reagan Hospital offers all large private rooms with a large couch that converts into a day/nite bed for staying with your spouse. My wife was discharged in 3 days, only because it was a Sunday. I think it easily could have been discharged in two.
The Tiverton Hotel serves the hospital, right across the street, with special low rates for hospital patients. You can/t go wrong.
Good luck!

Bob Peters(bob29544)

Dr. Joshua Sonnet at Columbia is the best. I am in the medical field and had my in to get to see him, thankfully. He is incredible. He is chief thorascic surgeon and also does lung transplants. Wonderful man and surgeon.

We chose Dr. Robert Cameron of Los Angeles, who does his surgery at the NEW Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. He performed the first VATS in CA in 1995. When I asked how many has he done, he said wow-probably 5-10000.
Ronald Reagan Hospital offers all large private rooms with a large couch that converts into a day/nite bed for staying with your spouse. My wife was discharged in 3 days, only because it was a Sunday. I think it easily could have been discharged in two.
The Tiverton Hotel serves the hospital, right across the street, with special low rates for hospital patients. You can/t go wrong.
Good luck!

Bob Peters(bob29544)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders