My 29 year old husband was just diagnosed....

My husband and I got married this past November - and in March, he was diagnosed with NSCLC stage IV. He started Chemotherapy and has just finished his second session. I guess I was just looking for someone to talk to about this.... Any survivors out there who could share their story with me? Thank you....

19 replies. Join the discussion

Hi,
I was diagnosed last October with Stage 4 at the age of 30. I'm a married mom of 2 boys, a 4 year old and an 8 month old. I know this is crazy and strange...I never expected this diagnosis. You're welcome to send me a message. I've tried Tarceva, but it didn't work. Then I did taxol/carbo/avastin, but switched the taxol to abraxane because of an allergic reaction. Now I'm on Avastin only. I'm still doing well and taking care of my kids, house and husband by myself. I've got a lot of hope for the future.
Raney

HI Lola,
Your message caught my attention, as my husband also has stage IV lung cancer.
I don't know if it is NSCLC or SCLC, that probably seems strange for me not to know, but I am relunctant to ask the Dr. ?'s in front of my husband for fear of the answers. I feel that if he gets more bad news it will offset his chances of recovery. I try to keep things as positive as possible.
He has cancer in both lungs, and his primary site was colon cancer which is almost all gone, but the lung cancer is widely met'd. He is getting taxil/carbo right now. He had been on flourosil but it didn't work. With this new combo, the Dr. said there is some minor shrinkage. We remain as hopeful as possible. I wish you all the best. Feel free to write any time.
Warmest regards,
Grace
Keysrides@aol.com

Dear Lola:

There are just some posts that break your heart, and yours is one of them. Newlyweds of 28 and 29 should not be battling lung cancer, or any cancer! I am the mother of a 27-year-old son, and I cannot even begin to imagine how I would feel if he had a diagnosis of cancer. As far as looking for someone to talk to, you have come to the right place. Everyone here will give as much help as they possibly can (medical, nutritional, and emotional support, etc.).

Your husband's youth will be a great plus. Most young guys in their twenties are not suffering from the other medical problems that can afflict older people who have cancer. Also, while I do not mean to minimize the fact that he is Stage IV, I have learned from this website that it is not necessarily as bad as some people might think. All Stage IV means is that the cancer has spread to another area. But, the spread can be very minimal and chemo or radiation can often knock it out quite quickly. Are you working with a nutritionist? It is so important that your husband keep his strength up so he can continue the treatments in order for them to be successful. You will find a number of people on this website who were diagnosed late (Stage IV) and who are alive and well years later.

I am so glad that Raney was the first to contact you. When you are going through something so unusual for young people your age, it is always such a great help to have someone in your own age group to talk to. It really can make a world of difference. Your husband is blessed to have you as his wife. You sound very loving, supportive, and caring. Please check in often with us to let us know how you are both doing. You will find the people here anxious to help you in anyway they can. Best Wishes, SabineTawni

Hi there - my prayers are with you and your family. My husband was diagnosed in March - we thought that he had walking pnemonia... and then the Dr. came in and told us it was Lung Cancer. After a few more tests and scans, we were told it was in both lungs, and it was also found on his abdomen and lymphnodes. We are getting through this day by day - but it is not at all easy, as I am sure you know. Right now he is on his second session of Chemotherapy and next week he is getting a scan to see if it is working. He was on Tarceva - but he had the opposite effect - it worked to the point where he had to he hospitalized for dehydration. He got every single side-effect known to go with it... black tongue, acne, nausia, sick to the stomach...
We are very lucky to have such strong families and friends supporting us. We had over 250 friends and family members participate in the TGL Classic run in Central Park in April and raised a pretty large sum for Lung Cancer Research.
My prayers and thoughts go to everyone dealing with this disease in one way or another... it is scary, and sometimes I don't know how to handle this. Finding this website was a blessing. Reading the stories of others is making this a little easier to get through.
Thank you -
Jen

Family and friends are the best when you're going through this. I'm glad you've got so much support, that's really great. Also, great work with the fund raising, that's really fantastic. We don't really have a lung cancer only event in Arizona that I'm aware of. I'm going to have to think about that. Keep fighting and doing positive things like the run. I'll keep you two in my prayers.
Raney

Hi Raney, It is so unbelievable that there are 20 and 30 somethings with LC! The Drs thought my husband was so young at diagnosis and he was 44. He'll be 49 in a couple of weeks! I'm sorry that you have to deal with this while raising your young kids. My kids were 7 & 8 when he was dx and now they've never known their dad without cancer. Yesterday we told them it's growing again and we'll have to change treatments. Which brings me to my question for you: what is your experience with Avastin? How is it given? What are the side effects? I'd appreciate any information. Thanks so much.

Julie

Thank you for your note. We are in this thing through sickness and health :) It is amazing how strong and positive people are on this site. It really does keep my spirits up. I actually came across this last night when I was watching that "Living with Cancer" show on the Discovery Channel. I got upset - and started to google different things and came across this. I liked it so much I joined right away and then I forwarded the link to hy husband so that he can get involved as well. He does have his youth, and also his strength and faith - all of those are going to help him beat it. He is an amazing man, and I am lucky to be a part of his life.
-Jen

Hi Julie,
That's one of the things that makes me the saddest, that my kids will never know me "before". I always hope that my older one will remember what I was like before now, but he's so little, I think that's a stretch.

I just started the Avastin by itself, but the main side effects I've found are irritation of the mucous membranes. My eyes will water more, I have a constant runny nose, and sometimes minor bloody noses. That's about it in terms of side effects, so I think it's very do-able. Now I've just got to pray and cross all my body parts that this will work for maintenance for a lot of months!

I hope you get good results for your husband. What stage was he when he was diagnosed?

Raney

Julie,
Forgot to tell you that the Avastin is given through an IV. First infusion is 90 min., secon 60 min. and thereafter 30 minutes as long as no reactions to first 2. No pre-meds, just saline given along with it.
Good luck,
Raney

Dear Jen:

Bless your heart! We are also glad you found us, but just wish you did not have the need. This is a "club" no one wants to belong to! I was married for a little over two years, and I was three weeks postpartum with our first child (1979) when my husband was first diagnosed with colon cancer (I was 31, and he was 41). It had metastacised, and in 1979, colon cancer was about where lung cancer is right now. All his doctors told me he would most likely be dead in less than five years. Well, most of his doctors are now dead themselves, my husband is still alive, and it will be 28 years ago this coming December since his diagnosis. Our "baby" is now 27, and he has a baby of his own. I tell my husband that our grandson is our "bonus" baby since my husband was not supposed to be here to raise his own son, let alone see a grandchild.

Please stick with us, Jen, and have faith. Your husband can get through this and so can you. It is never easy, to say the least, but you two are very lucky to have each other. Please lean on us. That is why we are here. Give your amazing husband a hug and kiss from all of us. Love, SabineTawni

Wow... talk about a positive e-mail and an amazing story. Thank you for sharing that with me... I've made the mistake of looking at too many stats on the internet and those have only lowered my hopes. Stories like yours make me smile and add to my belief that he is going to be fine. Thank you so much... Love, Jen

Hello. I was diagnosed with stage IV in 3/03, nonsmoker, "otherwise healthy". After radiation with carbo/taxetere, followed by gemzar, followed by irressa, I entered remission in 8/04. I continue in remission. My last scan was 4/04/07.

Hang in there, talk with people, notice how you live in this suddenly changed life, and smile as often as you can. With hope for you and yours, SharonS

Hi Lola -

Is your husband Luke? I swear I saw 250 people in Team Luke shirts at the TGL Classic. My friend and I walked in it wearing Lung Cancer Alliance T-shirts. Seeing all those people was really inspiring and I really believe that when you have a community rallying for you it does make a difference. That goes even if they aren't wearing matching t-shirts.

I'm pulling for your husband.

Katie Keating

Hi Jen,
I was diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC in November 2006. I'm a 42 yr old mom of a 9 and 12 yr old. Tarceva didn't work for me, but I've had 4 treatments with Carbo/Taxol and have shrinkage!! Some days I feel so good I can't believe I have this. I'm staying as active as possible and staying very positive. I told my oncologist never to give me a timeline because those are just numbers. Statistics are JUST NUMBERS! Don't get overwhelmed with the negative stuff. Be as active as you can and never give up hope! My prayers are with you both!

Holding onto HOPE!

Pat K
www.holdontohope.com

Yup - between his family, my family and all of our friends, there were about 250 people there walking in those t-shirts. When we found about about his cancer in March his brothers started fundraising, and "Luke's Fighting Dragons" (that is what they called themselves) raised over sixty thousand dollars for lung cancer research. That was Luke's image on the back of the shirt - with a mohawk :) Now he shaved his head, but is looking forward to growing that mohawk back.
It really was a great day :)
- Jen

Hi , I'm a 7 yr almost 8 yr survivor of 3a nsclc and am here to tell you that all of us are here to give you hope! Stay as positive as you can and ignore all of those statistics on the internet . Everyone of us is different and in this battle there is no ryhme or reason to how it works. You just fight with what you can . Your husbands age will be a great benifit . Iwas 40 when I was first diagnosed and because I was so young they said my chances were a lot better. I did carbol/taxol and 45 radiation and removal of 2/3 of my right lung . Today I feel great! It can happen and believe it will. Have all the hope and strength we here can pass on to you and your family. You are in my prayers- John

Thank you to everyone - Your messages have been so uplifting. I check this site every night and every time I check it I hear another story that makes me smile (and gets rid of a little of the stress). You are all in my prayers.... And again, thank you.....
Love, Jen

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I was diagnosed with Stage IV last August at the age of 35. I had a solitary tumor in the left lung, then mets in my sternum, lower spine and right hip. My son had just celebrated his first birthday and was still nursing....I had to cut him off abruptly so I could start treatment. Anyway, I did 4 cycles of Taxol/Carbo/Avastin, then had Avastin and Tarceva. My last scans in March showed complete resolution of all the sites except for the lung. I questioned whether we could be doing anything more aggressive to knock out that last remaining spot, so now I'm in the midst of radiation to the lung that they assure me will take care of the remaining spot. So now I just have to keep the faith that nothing will come back. I have been tolerating it very well and life is pretty normal these days. I even get to the gym 3-4 days per week.

Don't let the stats get you down. I think it's only been recently that younger people have started being diagnosed so the stats don't really apply. Good luck to you and your husband.

Lori

Hi I needed that hope today I was just at my oncologist yeasterday was diagnosed on may 8 2007 i thought i had stage 1 I have a 3,5cm tumor lung , but he thinks it spread to my spine hips ribs according to the pet scan , your post gave me hope will get mri on friday may 18 to see what is realy going on . and will start treatment next week, I always been healthy im 49 years old no other health issues i had no symptoms eisther

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders