MM121 clinical trial?

I am the primary caregiver for a dear friend, and her 12 year old daugther will be joining my family if her mom dies. She has been on radiation for brain mets, carbo/alitma, alitma alone, taxotere and now is starting a trial at MGH in Boston for Tarceva with MM121. She does not have the gene mutation. Is anyone else part of this trial? And also - if this combination does not work for her, are there other options, or is a clinical trial usually the "last resort"?

3 replies. Join the discussion

Are you saying she doesn't have the EFGR gene mutation? There are other mutations, i.e., ALK, KRAS, which she might have. Did they test her for others?

I dont know the answer to your question, but what a wonderful friend you are to care for her and to ease her mind by taking care of her daughter should she not survive this horrid disease. If there were a few more friends in the world like you what a wonderful place it would be. God Bless you all.

My (very basic) understanding is that Tarceva often works well particularly after prior chemo. treatments for people, such as your friend, who don't have one of the specific EGFR mutations.

I don't think clinical trials should be looked on as a last resort- sometimes they can be a way to gain access to a treatment that looks promising but hasn't gotten FDA approval yet. I also assume she could try a different clinical trial if this one doesn't work for her, or look at other options.

On a positive note, she'll be closely monitored because of the trial. I assume she'll have access to nurses or other staff to answer her questions when she goes in for her weekly injections of the MM121.

Wishing you both the best of luck with this new treatment. Do let us know how it goes.
Tyler

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders