Merck trail MK-3475

I am starting on the Merck trial of MK 3475 (immunotherapy) next week. Is anyone else on this trial? I'd be interested to share experiences. I know it's had some great success with melanoma.

16 replies. Join the discussion

The only thing I could find on it is this:
http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_114_100724.html
or if that doesn't work directly, go to
http://abstractsearch.asco.org/cgi-bin/ts.pl?query=MK-3475
and click into the article.

It looks like there isn't much data on it to know how promising it is for lung cancer in people. It looked like there a chance it might offer some stability to some patients for an unknown period of time.

Best hopes,

My mother is also starting this trial next week.

Hi FeistyD,

How did the trial go? I am interested.. where is it?

I just started about a week ago. It's at about 15 sites in the U.S. and one is Australia. here's the link;

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01295827

Thank you for sharing this information!!! Im starting to feel like a junkie looking for a fix (lol)...searching and seeking the latest and greatest in tx's to determine my new treatment plan!

God bless you.

I have nothing to add except that I too will be joining this study in a few weeks, at UCLA. I'm not feeling very strong at the moment, but if things turn around, I will be asking my trial coordinator some things I can post here. All I can say is she saw exciting results in its use on other cancers and my oncologist said there's reason to believe the same results will translate to lung cancer. I've been stage IV since dx two years ago. I was on Crizotinib until it stopped working, then alimta, which didn't work. Now this. I hope for the best for all of us....

Thrilling result! Thanks for participating & thanks for sharing the awesome news.
~ Joyce

There was a woman who posted that she was on a Merck trial in California that was in her words, kicking cancers ass. It was posted in the lung cancer section. I haven't been able to locate it again. Does anyone know if it's the same trial ?
Regards

Yes, that was me. I posted yesterday under Treatment Options. It's the same trial.

Thank you. I've not been involved in clinical trials. I'm assuming this is a new chemo drug . Is that correct ? You note that it's kicking cancers butt. How long have you been on the treatment and what type and how often are the scans ?
Have there been any side effects ?
Regards

MK 3475 is not chemo- it's an anti-PD-1 antibody that interferes with a cancer cell's ability to survive. I have been on the treatment for 12 weeks. I have a 30-minute infusion every three weeks. I just had my first set of scans and I will have scans again in 6 weeks as part of the protocol. I haven't had any side effects, but some people do: they can include thyroid issues, gastro-intestinal issues, and pneumocystis.

There's an informative webinar on cancergrace.org that explains immunotherapy better than I could:

http://cancergrace.org/lung/2012/06/16/immunorx-in-lc-pt-2-brahmer/

Any one knows if Merck PD1 better than BMS PD1?
I did not find a patient with BMS PD1 experience? I am currently looking for MERCH , BMS PD1 or YERVOY. Frankly speaking, the YERVOY or PD1 side effect is somewhat dangerous, and reponse rate is only 18% for NSCLC. THe good news I heard from a Britain newpaper that POSSIBLY 10% patient could be cured instead of NED, unfortunately I could not find the URL.

I'm just a survivor, not a biochemist, but from what I've read and heard, the success rate of anti-PD-1 is 0% if your tumor does not express PD-L1. If it does, the success rate is much higher. I'm just lucky to have lots of PD-L1, apparently. I have heard the side effects of anti-PD-1 drugs are much lighter than those of Yervoy. Of course, everyone responds differently. I haven't had any side effects so far.

It sounded interesting to start with but a bit of the luster just left. Any how, it's working for you with so far no side effects. I pray it will continue to work well for you right to a cure.
Regards

Are they not recruiting for this trial in the USA anymore? I went on the clinical trials page and it seems the only location listed is in Austrailia

Did you try calling the Toll Free Number 1-888-577-8839 ?

Sometimes trials don't list all their sites until they have been set up, or start with one or a couple of locations and don't expand until the early results from show it'll be worth expanding the trial in more locations. It might be that the Australian site is just the 1st to meet their local government's rules on setting up a trial.

Let us know what they say.

Best hopes,

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders