Menu food for stage4 lung cancer.

Hi all,

I am confuse about food for stage4 lung cancer patient. Can someone share to me about menu for cancer patient in 1 week. breakfast, lunch, dinner. and healthy even if you are stage 4.

27 replies. Join the discussion

Follow Budwigs diet. It has helped many people improve their health.

Loulou23

What is budwigs diet?

hello dear,
google the budwigs diet and you will see..

When I was diagnosed with Stage 4 NSCLC 8 months ago, and given just 8 months to live, I hit the internet reading everything I could learn about survival. Of course, diet was on my mind, as well as any and all supplements that could help fight cancer and the side effects of the chemo I was destined for. I read all the naturopaths, but also the mainstream oncology sites.

I concluded from what I read that I had to cut out the many sugars I daily consumed, including fruit juices loaded with fructrose, loved by cancers, but with little real nutrition. But I noted that the oncological world emphasized maintaining weight, and getting enough protein. The cancer competes for your protein and amino acids.

I listened to a radio interview with Dr. Chan of MD Anderson. He was with a patient, a Navy Seal martial arts instructor, who had just passed the 5 year survival line of Stage 4 NSCLC, making him one of very few of us. At the end of the interview, the host asked Dr. Chan to state the keys to his patient's survival, besides the various chemos he switched him to each time the cancer progressed. He thought for a moment and then said, "he was in good shape when diagnosed and he maintained his weight." That was all. So make sure your husband maintains weight, and if that means feeding him what he likes, that's the key. And toss the candies, cookies, fruit juices, etc, etc., all the useless sugars. JMHO and I am doing incredibly well on just gemcitabine (Gemzar), supplements (omega 3s and anti-oxcidents) and maintaining my weight. A big pasta dinner will put a pound back on me.

Basically it's a very nutritious diet where you have some forbiddens like preservatives, oils, food colors and processed foods. You basically eat whole foods, juice twice a day and eat a blend of cottage cheese, flax seed oil and flax seeds, twice a day following some very specific instructions. Apparently the blend helps the body better utilize the omega 3 fats. Check for books available over the net, but make sure it's written by Dr. Budwig herself. It's a wonderful diet for helping your body heal. You won't loose weight , unless you eat small portions and so forth. Proteins and fats are at the very core of the diet.

Just have him eat a healthy diet, which means, unprocessed foods. I noticed you live in Thailand so basically your traditional food is good for you. Lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, lean protein, rest and relaxation, no stress and a circle of good friends and family for support are all important. Not sure if you will be able to do the Budwig diet (cottage cheese in Thailand probably not very common and expensive) but just think of eating foods that are as close to the earth as possible, organic preferable, with no pesticides, hormones or antibiotics. Good luck!

Any normal healthy diet is usually a good thing.

If undergoing treatment, it may be wise to avoid unusual things that might interfere with treatments. Some have a different opinion, though, about specific things.

Best hopes,

Some of us think that the Budwig diet is of dubious value. Google for the criticisms, such as lack of credible research.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johanna_Budwig

Best hopes,

...I think listening to a doctor who lived to be 95 years old might not be such a bad idea. I certainly don't think anything she ascribes to is harmful to anyone. Seems she was years ahead of her times about nutrion. Just my opinion.
...Also, our minds play a very important role in how we feel. Every morning b4 getting out of bed (and every nite before retiring), I recite "I am well, I am well, I am well". Let your mind concentrate on that all night. Tell your mind that you are well and convince yourself. Believe it, what harm can that possibly do?
Judi

I just looked at the Budwig's diet and found many things listed just gag me to think about it (am on the end of my 2nd week on a q3 week chemo.

During this cycle (my first) I had 5 days without nausea, and the rest has been ongoing. There is no way to get down the amount of fluid suggested both there and in my little chemo book. Sweet things taste terrible, and honey is one of the worst?

Yesterday and today, breakfast consisted of tea and saltines. Would love some specific suggestions - another thing is that my doc, a MDA associate, says no berries except frozen since the fresh ones cannot be washed enough.

Thanks for your help.

SueRN

Keeping ahead of your nausea is the answer; take the medications to relieve nausea whether you have it or not and that seems to ward it off. Living off tea and saltines is not good.

The Budwig diet was never set up to be used with chemo or radiation. It is something I began after my treatments.

When you are getting chemo, you MUST keep up eating healthy foods. Are you an RN? Surely, you know what you should be eating to maintain your health.

Thanks for the advice. Yep, am an RN but always in cardiac and ICU, never cancer treatment.

For me, there is a huge gap between knowing what I should eat and being able to get it down.

Even with phenergan and zofran, the nausea has been everpresent and severe. Guess it is different for each person, but have found anything sweetish won't go down and meats other than chicken won't either. Lemon does well, as does decaf tea. When hungry, I crave salty too.....serum levels of sodium are always on the lower side of normal.

It has been weird, nauseated the first week post treatment and then better that 2nd week. Didn't expect the severe nausea to return based on the information from the physician and ARNP.....no mention either in the meds literature I was provided or researched.

Am better now and able to eat healthily, but my question must have been poorly phrased because it was more about what to do if you indeed have taken the meds for nausea provided and know what happens when you try to force foods :(

Figured someone who had been through this already might have other food/drink suggestions that one could get to stay down more easily.

Thanks.

Everyone gets through the chemo differently. Also, it depends on what cocktail of drugs they are giving you.
I've had breast cancer twice since 2005, and then primary lung cancer in 2009. So far, I've been through 4 surgeries, 66 radiation treatments and 12 chemos! My chemo was done along side 33 radiation treatments, I rec'd taxol and carbo. Only vomited a couple of times, but took medication for nausea whether I had symptoms or not.
I can't remember changing my diet in any way, except I didn't have any wine during that period of my life. It truly never effected how anything tasted. I used to eat sandwiches right while they administered the chemo. Also, would sometimes fall asleep during chemo treatments.
The only thing that was a real problem was that I had many sleepless nights. I found I was buying everything off the infomercials at 3am!!
Hope, Sue, that each day finds you feeling better. Judi

I read that Ginger Wonder syrup helps.

Hi, When my mom was first diagnosed, someone recommended a book called " Eating Well Through Cancer " by Holly Clegg & Gerald Miletello. I know you are in Thailand but you might find it helpful. It gives you foods / recipes to eat during and after treatment. As well as if you are having Neutropenia or constipation / diarrhea. Organic & unprocessed foods are best. Stay Strong.

A book by Rebecca Katz: The Cancer Fighting Kitchen.

She has lots of tips for nausea, fatigue and all the other "goodies" that chemo delivers. Soups, drinks, wonderful
Veggie dishes as well as traditional American chicken pot pie! All very very very HEALTHY!

Then buy her other book: "one Bite At A Time"

Amazon has them.

There is so much out there on nutrition, who knows what to eat anymore. I eat as healthy as possible. I eat fruit, nuts, fish, good pastas and some meat. The FDA has allowed so many hormones and stuff in our meats. I think whole wheat products are full of sugar, of course white bread and pasta are like eating empty calories also. Everyones genes are different, eat what is best for your body, just stay away from processed and empty calorie foods. Good luck everyone.

Thank you for the book suggestions and support. I will read them for sure.

Today is labwork, Friday another round of chemo.

Had a suggestion from my surgeon who is from Spain. Suggested a ground ginger/sugar found in a tube in the refrigerated section of the produce section of our grocery store....suggesting a small amount every 4 hours, said it was what his Mother did in Spain. Also suggested trying the pickled ginger for nausea too-the one available at the soushi counter. I did get them and have tried the pickeled ginger (spell??) but needed to rinse it twice in water to remove some of the vinegar. It helped - whether it really did or the power of positive thinking? Don't know, but it helped. Sue

Ginger is supposed to be great for nausea and motion sickness so yes, there probably is more to it than the power of suggestion. Buy a knob of fresh ginger (in your supermarket, look for smooth skin and hard body, not wrinkled or wilted), grate about a teaspoon into a cup and pour boiling water over it. Steep for 2-3 minutes and drink it. If need be, add some raw honey or agave as sweetener. Alternately, as grating is not fun, just cut off thin slices (about and inch of the root) and steep in boiling water as above. Good luck!

Just dx in last 2 months sclc weight was issue onc gave me 2 scripts for anti nasua have been lucky not to need at this point. 3 rounds of chemo. Doing 1 insure plus daily over ice. Eating as much natural meats &veggies as possible from Whole Foods market. Cost a bit more but not really but raised like meats when growing up nothing in them and try to do the ones that are grazed or free range like my grandfather used to do. They call it organic or natural today GO FIGURE. POSITIVE VIBES COMING TO YOU AND PRAYERS AS WELL my onc also told me junknfood to help with weight gain. HE IS YOUNGER THAN MY 36 YEAR OLD SON neither of them giving me to many options LOL

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders