Lymph Node BX positive

March 2012 had bilobectomy of right lung. All lymph nodes clear. Tumor are squamous cell. No chemo . Had previous chemo and radiation as well as PCI. Now hot enlarged lymph node right paratracheal area. Had biopsy and its squamous cell. Plans are for Cyber Knife as the area has already had IMRT. Looking for others to share your experience with the cyber knife/gamma knife procedure with me please.
Thanks Shelia/aka Granny

4 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Sheila aka/granny.
Oh I hate to read this.I don't have any advice on these procedures. I'm praying for you for successful treatments which ever treatment you recieve.
I had a reoccurance in my right paratreachea lymph node 3 years after orginal dx and treatment of chemo and radiation. I went on chemo again alimta/avastin, had much success with that combo. I know avastin is generally not used for squamous cell.
I am just curious in asking about your planned cyberknife/gamma knife. When I asked about cyberknife for me to the paratreachea lymph node area. My Rad Onc told no cyberknife because of proximity to treachea. I was actually told no cyberknife to mediastium area at all..it's a no fly zone she said. I don't know about gamma knife.
You are in my thoughts and prayers for healing. Positive thoughts sent your way. Best wishes to you.

Francine

I have a consult and will be asking loads of questions to the rad oncologist. Thanks

BTW, squamous cell means that two chemo-related drugs aren't likely to be offered: Avastin (can cause fatal lung bleeding in squamous) and Alimta (not effective in most squamous).

Squamous also means that research hasn't caught up to identifying useful driving mutations like the progress you've heard about for adenocarcinoma. Nonetheless, sometimes there's a driving mutation for which an experimental clinical trial of a mutation-targeted drug might be useful for a number of months.

(If if applicable, mutation-targeted inhibitor drugs aren't usually appropriate before Stage IV because they don't offer a chance of cure, just control for a while.)

Specifically, squamous is sometimes (but rarely) driven by a well-known usually-druggable driving-mutation like EGFR (Tarceva) or very rarely ALK (Xalkori). Your doctors can test for each of those. KRAS is also common for smokers and not very useful, but there are some experimental clinical trials for drugs or combos targeting that. (Don't assume it's KRAS just because of a smoking history; it's more likely something else than it is KRAS.)

Early research is underway to find other common driving mutation-targeted drugs for squamous and clinical trials for drugs for some are underway, with maybe FRGR and DDR2 being the the most promising at this point. See:
https://www.inspire.com/groups/lung-cancer-survivors/discussion/advice-need ed-fluid-on-the-lungs/?reply_sort=asc#cmnt_2863999

It seems too early to put much faith into the effectiveness of the drugs in those experimental trials, but it does offer hope that additional life-extending treatment might eventually be found for some squamous-type cancers that are primarily driven by a mutation for which researchers might find a suitable drug.

Best regards,

Thanks yall. Anyone else want to comment on the cyber knife procedure? How did you do
any side effects
anything you want to share

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders