'lump' between rib cages

Hello everyone,

My mom and i noticed a 'lump' between the lower half of her rib cages. It is not big (haven't gotten the chance to measure, for i don't want to scare her), not red, and looks kind of like a bone. She does not complain of pain, or difficulty breathing. I searched online, and it could be lymph nodes? My parents are seeing the oncologist on Friday, and i wonder if this could wait til then? Anyone experienced this before?

By the way, i know this sounds silly, but what do you mean by enlarged lymph nodes? Where can lymph nodes be found at?

Thanks in advance! God bless!

2 replies. Join the discussion

Please try not to assume and scare yourself to death.
I am a nurse and my daughter a real smart student nurse, yet we both found a lump on my friend in the abdominal area, even the NP in the doctors office sent his for an abdominal ultrasound to rule out an aneurysm.
It is a muscle, that when pulled taut just came out as if it were a hernia, or a large abdominal aneurysm.
Now 2 trained nurses, and a Nurse practioner all thought it was a lump of some kind that was going to turn out bad.
It did not. All is well. We found out today.
So relax, take a deep breath, and until you get real answers from an xray or a CT scan, stop thinking too much.
It can scare the daylights out of you both.
God bless Sandy

persistentfaith,

I think I have the same thing, a small lump right where the ribs meet in the front. I noticed it when I was in the hospital, after having a chest tube. It feels like a piece of cartilage was pushed out of place. I made every doc who passed through my room take a look and feel it and they all said basically "I wouldn't worry about it". I'm still worried about it, though, and will be until a scan tells me it really is nothing.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders