Low Grade Temp

Does anyone else run a low grade temp at night. Most nights my temp is 99.2 to 99.9, but only at night and it is gone by morning. My husband had even woke me up so I can check it.

Blessings,
Barb

7 replies. Join the discussion

Dear Barb,

I am so glad you posted this! My husband also has been running a low grade temp every evening, usually around 7-8 is when it starts, and then is gone by morning.

It started June 20th, at least that is when I realized he seemed very warm to the touch, and decided to check his temp. The range is usually 99.4 - 100, but last week it went up to 101. He just drank a lot of fluids and rested it out, and it did go down to 99 the next day.

We contacted his oncologist early in July, who did his pet scan a month early as he thought it was a lung infection. It showed one of the tumors in his lungs was very active, and growing. The doctor suspected there was an underlying infection in the lung that was the cause of the fever.

He prescribed 10 days on levaquin, which ended two weeks ago, but the fever continues. However, the night sweats he has had for months has improved, so basically we have no idea what this is.

If it goes over 101 again we will call the doctor, but my husband is not into taking any medications, so this will be a challenge. Hopefully someone else has some experience or insight on this.

There is something I have read about called cancer fever, but it just seems like one of those "well, we can't figure out what is going on, he has cancer and he has a fever. So, it's cancer fever." Go figure.

I hope your fevers subside soon. Just another weird thing to deal with. Take care, and all the best to you!

Peg

I don't run one every night, but do quite often just out of the blue. Always at night, and gone by morning. Usually around 100. Have no idea why - as Peg said, just another weird thing.

My husband does that too. He used to do it constantly when he was on chemo, but now just does it enough to keep us worried.

Always something--Khari

i often run fever-always low-if over 100.5, you are to call the doctor. otherwise, it is not significant.

Dear Barb and friends,
I have been following discussions though this is my first post. I need to share relevant to fever. Please do not take it lightly. After his 3rd chemo cycle, my husband's temp was 99.8, 100.2 and climbing. Onc told me to take him to ER. It was neutropenic fever which turned out to be life threatening. chemo drops the White Blood Cells, the Red BCs and platelets. (thats what they monitor in blood tests). Fever, said the onc could be a sign that the body's white blood cells were too low to fight infection. In the case of my husband, the neutrophils in the white blood dropped to about 700 despite a boost from Neulasta.
hugs to all - Angel

Not to panic everyone, I have a theory, and in my theory based on listening to many patients like you, with these low grade fevers, me included, they had no reason for why I had these, yet they were there almost daily, in fact in summer months with the weather in the 80's I would be at the beach, I have pictures of myself wrapped in warm blankets, I was freezing. I have reason to think this is a good sign, I am a survivor! The docs told me once in a while, not oftnen yhat they see a patient here, and there, with fevers of unknown origin, my oncologiet told me "well cancer is an Inflammatory response" meaning what? meaning he has no idea that is what. But my suspicion is this, Cancer is supposedly something that everyone gets in there bodies at least 6 times in their lifetime, yet most people the immune system attacks and kills those cancer cells on each occassion it enters thier bodies, but for some unknown reason in our bodies,those of us who have full blown lung cancer,our immune system shuts off, mysteriously, nobody seems to have the answer why, but they shut off, my theory on this, is that while many people do not have fevers, and we did, this is our immune system kicking back on again, great news if this is the case, don't fight that fever, welcome it, it is telling us it sees the cancer invaders, and is firing up to attack.It explains my longevity, I am here, and finished all treatments inOct 2006, I was given my death sentence to live only 12 to 15 monhts,,yet here i AM, and they are shocked each time I am still here for another visit, another CT scan.I really think it is from those fevers. they started up my immune system again, wiping out my cancer cells, and stopping the fast growth. I hope, and pray the same for all of you. It is a thought ,and an intelligent one, if I do say so for myself, If anyone wants to disprove it, go ahead, my oncologist thought it was a possibilty that this could be the case. so always of course get it checked out, but have a small smile on your face too, it may be the cancer is being killed as it should be, as it was always supposed to be, by your own now healthier immune sysytem.
Just my thoughts. I had another post a whle back in which I THINK I asked this question, I don't know if it was my own post I did or talking on someone elses, but I didn't get too many repsnses becasue i was wondring how many people also had these low grade fevers. I am very curious if anyone has done any studies about this? anyone know?
God bless us all and hopefully we won't get any cancer back again, our immune systems may again be working correctly.
Sandy/

All of us have temperature variations - circadian rhythms they are called. It is a myth that 98.6 degrees is normal, because "normal" for any one person varies every day. This is not to say that spikes in temperature might not have another meaning, but I and a numbr of my students tracked body temperature (I teach intrapersonal communication processes) and other indicators (blood pressure, etc.) and found a rather regular variation and variations as well when we did various tasks.

Sometimes variations mean nothing.

Courage

Chum

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders