LARYNGITIS FOR ABOUT 4 WEEKS

my husb has had a whisper of a voice for abt 4 wks. at first i thought this was caused by his 2 collapsed vertebreas- but ortho dr said no. what can it be then- has this happened to anyone out there? he has no cold or sickness- he does have large tumor in left lung- mets on spine, rib and adrenal gland... we go to drs on wednesday-also he has been off of tarceva for over 4 weeks no treatment all this time-because tarceva didnt agree with his stomach. so dr. just left us high and dry!As I said before I HATE HIS DR AND HIS FACILILTY BUT HE DOES NOT WANT TO CHANGE!! the ortho dr wont touch his spine because of mets above and below colloapsed vertabreaes. he was given a back brace to wear.

9 replies. Join the discussion

Sorry to hear he's having such problems. I have heard of this problem here, and I'm sure someone will advise you on it. Ask your husand to please get a second opinion. Make him understand that this doctor is not doing anything to help him. I wish you both the best. Take care, JC

I too had trouble with my voice.It became very raspy and I would get out of breath as I talked.It has been like having laryngitis for 4 months.Went to a ENT who scoped my throat and discovered that I have a paralyzed vocal cord.We have waited a couple months to see if it went away on its own but it has not.So they are doing surgery next week.This is a solvable problem if that is what it is but it will have to be diagnosed by an ENT.Good Luck.

Hi,

I had the same problem after my last surgery. It's been about three months now and my voice is starting to sound normal and I have some volume again..
the doctor said it could be from scoping or anesthesia tubes.
Wishing you all the best,
Toddy

I had it for over a year. It was also from a paralyzed vocal chord. They did not know if my voice would come back or when it would. Well it came back fully about 2 months ago and sounds the same as it did before I got sick. I said it was from singing Barbra Streisand songs in my car. Keep up hope.

Hi,

My husband had a deep voice before all this LC started. I noticed after the Cist/V-16 it changed to a softer/different sounding voice. Onc. checked him out and said it may be from the chemo - once in a while it comes back, but never stays.

-Marie

My voice went away for over six months. It was due to a paralyzed vocal cord caused by the tumor in my left lung pinching the nerve to the chord. Had laryngoplasty done (inject the vocal chord with a gel substance) which brought the voice back for aprox. 2 days. Fortunately my voice came back on its own a few months later.

Hi,
My mom's voice has been raspy too for the last three months. The oncologist believes that one of he lymph nodes is pressing on the nerve to her vocal cords. We have a referral to an ENT to check this out to indeed see if she does have a paralyzed vocal cord. It sounds like my mom is headed to hospice tho.

Kristi

This is how we found out my husband had sclc his throat got sore and then he got the whisper voice.Got sent to ear nose and throat doc his vocal cords were paralyzed from the tumor growing in his lung left side top.

sis lost her voice too and it was from the tumor pressing on her vocal cords. when she first had chemo and it shrank the tumor she got her voice back for about a week. when her tumor starting re-growing she lost her voice again. very frustrating for her whenever she wanted to make a phone call i'd have to go over and help 'translate' so the person on the other end could understand what she was saying. sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders