Juicing??? I keep reading it..Help!

Any advice about nutrition? I keep reading about juicing.

13 replies. Join the discussion

I prefer green smoothies. With a juicer, you throw away all the pulp, losing so much fiber and other nutrients. You also cannot put a lot of things like the greens in them because it will clog them.
I have a Torpedo Multipurpose Appliance, much like the Vitamix. It will blend anything, so you can leave the seeds, as well as any greens on top of root veggies. Besides smoothies, you can make soups and deserts.
You may want to check out the book, Green Smoothies Revolution.
Hope this helps.

I have a Jack La'Lanne power juicer the more expensive one that isn't really all that expensive. It's mostly juice, some pulp. They say you can take the left over pulp and make soup but I haven't done that. I just like getting the veggies I want as a juice. Use mostly ginger, kale, asperagus, carrots, celery, beets, bok choy, applies, fruit in season, love catalope or melon, berries and a little garlic. I feel it's at least kept me healthy.
Carolyn

Do you all use frozen fruit/veggies? Our Onc said no fresh fruit or veggies.

I don’t do a lot of juicing, but I am a firm believer in Wheatgrass, supplements and a healthy diet. I was never told to say off fresh fruits and vegetables, but understand your doctors concerns because of a compromised immune system. I was pretty lucky and stayed very active through chemotherapy with daily exercise, which I feel is just as important as diet.
Wishing you both the best,
Don

Hi Penny!

I juice 3 times a day- 8oz carrot, 2oz kale, 1/4 beet,1 granny smith apple, ginger root, I add wheatgrass powder..it looks gross it will be brown..but you will develop a taste for it.
One of the main purposes for juicing is to get the antiangiogenisis results- angiogenisis is where tumors make blood vessels in which to travel..anti angiogenisis helps keep that from happening..there are several chemo type therapys out now using anti-angiogenisis.
I have found juicing to be a wonderful thing for me..it gives me energy, nutriton, vitamins, it is an excellent immune booster..I also eat a diet in high in veg and grains and low in protein..I egg maybe an egg a week, fish once a week, chicken probably every 10 days- I do make protein drinks from inostitised whey protein,organic yogurt,frozen bueberries, an avocado, and almond milk.
I eat no dairy other than a little butter and yogurt.
I have an hamilton beach juicer I have used for several months, when its time to replace it I am going for a champion juicer.
dom

I stay as active as i can.I have asthma(which is what i thought was my problem..never imagined cancer) which I believe may now be full blown COPD.I asked my pulmonary oncologist how to improve my breathing and she said walking is the best.I would also like to get back to the gym and do a little weight training to fend off some of this weight gain from the steroids. thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
Penny

Hi Dom,
Why no dairy? and low protein? did you read it somewhere?I copied your juice recipe.Gonna try it.
My sister inlaw got me a juicer when all of this started.I have never used it yet! Wish me luck!
Penny

i only want to take things in my body that are anti cancer..dairy and meat proteins are carcinogenic..I want to take things in that gan be used quickly and not drag my body down trying to break them down and digest.
I only want pure organic foods.
Ge that juicer out and go get you some veggies!!
My oncologist and rad onc are in full support of my nutrition..my once always says"the greener the better"
..just remember no more than 8oz of carrot juice at a time..elevated levels of betacarotene has been found to actully create tumors in smokers..I lb carots equals about 8oz juice..i buy the 3 lb bags and use 1 a day.

I was told to eat my fruit and juice my veggies. I stay away from carrots and beets because of their high sugar content when juiced. I know that pure greens are not super sweet to most people so they add an apple or carrot but i like the fresh taste of the greens and you do get used to it.

I read Anti- Cancer..Dr.Schriber and used his vegetable recommendations for lung cancer.Beets, Kale, Carotts, Parsley, Cellery, Cabbage, spinach and a small apple...daily...I have been doing this for over 1 1/2 years.

Keep the spirit

Stefano

Hi, I am juicing everyday with all yummy organic
fruits and vegetables. Will any of this help with brain mets. I have been ned in body since last june but have brain tumors. Am i wasting my time with juicing thinking it might work on the extisting or future brain tumors? Thanks, Sean

Hi Penny,

I went to a nutritionist with the same dilemma. Her advice was to keep it simple, wholesome and well washed. Common sense stuff.

I juice every morning. Kale, apple, carrot and ginger. It looks revolting, but tastes surprisingly good! It also makes me feel noble and healthy. Beyond that, I try for organic, whole grain stuff, more fish than beef, more fruit than sweets. I'm going for all the things I know in my heart of hearts I should be eating!

Good luck!

xoxo
Melody

Think organic, research supplements, I was juicing but now I use Green Supreme (2) scoops in v-8 low sodium
each morning, Turemic, coQ10, ALA, and other supplements. I also Use LDN low dose naltraxone an alternative treatments (research it) my onc would not prescribe it but had no objection to my using it. So I found an integrative MD who is willing to prescribe it.
I believe supplements, mediation, guided imagery all serves to help beat t this beast back, I was diagnosed
June 2010, with mets to liver and bone....holding stable after first treatment no more liver mets, but I still deal with bone and lung.....just finished third chemo treatment, in which I had some progression, could have been worse, so I am off to Sloan Kettering where they have some SCLC trials. My onc told me she had to research next step, so sloan is where my next step is going to be. Keep believing and keep fighting, each day is a gift. Don't read the stats you are unique.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders