Inspirational Books for Lung Cancer Patient

Does anyone have a recommendation for an inspirational book for my mother who has stage IV lung cancer? I would like a book that has stories about lung cancer survivors. Information about what to expect would also be helpful.

19 replies. Join the discussion

"There's No Place Like Hope" by Vickie Girard.

It's not about lung cancer, but about the author's journey with metastic breast cancer. It's good for any cancer patient.

Dear NSCLCdaughter,

I'd recommend "The Journey Through Cancer: Healing and Transforming the Whole Person," by Jeremy Geffen (2006), and "Lung Cancer: Myths, Facts, Choices---and Hope," by Claudia Henschke and Peggy McCarthy (2002).

Those two books have been helpful during our family's experience in dealing with my mom's stage IV NSCLC. They're very good books.

Sincerely,
Cheryl

The #1 book I give to all new patients is "Love, Medicine and Miracles" by Bernie S. Siegel . Someone gave this to me when I was first diagnosed and now I give it to new patients. I even gave it to an oncologist one time who thanked me and told me it was nice to be reminded about the other side of medicine.

you could try "it's not just about the bike" by Lance Armstrong.
All the best Michael
I

"Anatomy of Hope" by Jerome Groopman and recommended by lance himself...

God Bless!

Jamie

Also,
"Cancer, Theres Hope" by richard Bloch a 25 year lung cancer survivor. Check out the Bloch foundation.

Hi,
I would recommend "Peace, Love & Healing" also by Bernie Siegel, MD. I have found this to be a very inspirational book. God Bless!
Eileen

J-Me already recommend this one, but it's fantastic - Anatomy of Hope by Jerome Groopman. Another one that my mother and I really liked, and it's not specifically about lung cancer, but it's a great "fresh" way to look at taking on cancer is Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris Carr, a 35 year old cancer survivor. We loved that book. Just ignore her diet advice. It's not appropriate for people going through chemo, which the author is not eligible for because of her form of cancer.

Thank you so much! I think all of these suggestions will lift up my mother's spirit as she fights this disease. I appreciate you taking the time to share the titles with me---and so quickly!

When God and Cancer Meet: True Stories of Hope and Healing By Lynn Eib was very helpful to me.

There's a new book out, "Hope for Lung Cancer - How 7 survivors beat the disease, even at stage 4", that includes interviews with Ed Levitt, LCA Georgia's president, and others (including me). It's an e book with an audio download.

I've been hesitant to recommend it partly because I haven't read the whole book yet, and partly because of its cost, $32 -- but there is a 60-day money-back guarantee. And part of the profits (not sure how much exactly) will go to LCA.

If you do read it will you please let me know your thoughts and feelings about it?

Here's a link to it: http://www.mylungcancertreatment.com/?gclid=CKeliffXoZUCFQv7agodpQVEkQ

I also loved "There's no place like Hope" --
also Lawrence LeShan's classic,
"Cancer as a Turning Point."
"The Anatomy of Hope"
And anything by Wendy Harpham, MD - probably "Diagnosis Cancer" is the best for now.

(And Betsy, thank you so much for your kind words about my book!)

Hi, Another good book is voices of lung cancer available from Amazon.com I did a story there, however I am not just suggesting it because of this, it just has some inspiring stories..Doris

The book "Tuesday's with Maurey" is an excellent small paperback easy to read written by Mitch Albom. Text is available at most book stores, Amazon.

The book Second Opinions by Jerome Groopman, MD
is an excellent small paperback easy to read written by Mitch Albom. Text is available at most book stores, Amazon.

The book "How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groopman, MD.
An excellent small paperback easy to read written by Mitch Albom. Text is available at most book stores, Amazon.

All three books are in print, and are beyond inspiring.

We wish you best, and our prayers.

Gregory M. Chase, MS PA-C, RN

I got my mom Chicken soup for the survivors soul. Its not all lung cancer but it sure is inspirational about how so many people overcame and survived cancer. She took it with her during her chemo visits. Now I am going to look into the other recommended books. I find upbeat, humerous books help renew the soul and helps take their minds off their illness for just a little bit.
Paula

"The Red Sea Rules" by Robert J. Morgan ($9.99) and "31 Days of Healing" by Mark Brazee ($5.99). At most all Christian Bookstores or Amazon, etc. Gives no nonsense, TRUE, advice about healing. God bless, Ellen

What type of lung cancer ?? Our prayers are with your continued success.My wife was just dx'd with
nsclc an I am scared to death. Had surgery ,found it in the careanal nodes between the lungs and heart and left the tumor in the right lung and cloced her up. We start chemo and radiation on the 17th. I am hoping for an outcome such as yours.Thanx for listening May God continue to bless you and yours Jack

Thank you for all your book recommendations. My sister and I did get my mother a few books, but she passed on October 31st after just two weeks of whole brain radiation (WBRT) and neck radiation. We would have had our mother opt out of radiation if we knew how devastating it would be in the end. We'd much rather palliate the cancer in other ways. We weren't ready for her to go and neither was she! She experienced lots of agitation in the end as a result.

Anyway, we are healing now and the books have helped us immensely.

My sister who had breast cancer especially liked Cancer as a Turning Point by LeShan. I also agree with the recommendation of Lance Armstrong's book.

Dear NSCLCdaughter,

I am deeply sorry for your loss. It's so horribly unfair. And I appreciate your sharing with us your mom's experience of radiation. If I get to that point, I will keep that in mind. I'm sure many others here will benefit as well from having that information to help inform their decisions.

You may not be ready for this now -- I wasn't for many months after my mom passed -- but a beautiful book, a classic, is "Motherless Daughters" by Hope Edelman. It helped me tremendously.

Sending you love and prayers for healing,
Lori

"Women Confront Cancer, making medical history by choosing alternative & complementary therapies" by Margret J. Wooddell and David J. Hess, NYU Press 1998. The individual stories of 21 women who chose to include various forms of alternative/complementary therapies in their healing and how they made their choices.
I am a 28year survivor of stage IV lung(oat cell) and ovarian cancer and my story is in there too..

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders