I'm so tired no appetite after 4th round chemo

well where do I start,I had 4 th round chemo 10/11/10 for 3b nsclc dx on june 11 /10 . My nose is very sensitive, and odors linger for days, taking my appetite away,something like a beef roast will stay with me , now I cannot even think about eating, this is really a hard 4 th treatment been in bed for a week sick no food, went in for iv fluids twice,helped some . I'm 73 just trying to stay strong and get thru the treatment,but it is sure trying to knock me down. I have no strength . I was very active before this ,played golf 4 days a week, so I not use to this weakness please is this normal..God Bless to all here...

27 replies. Join the discussion

I feel for you, as I have watched my Dad go through the same thing. He was doing so great in his treatment and then at the end of the 3rd chemo and radiation it all seemed to hit him at once and he too lost his appetite and all energy. They said that everything happening was cumulative so this was likely to happen, but it's never easy when it does. My dad actually opted to have a g-tube inserted last week because he was already thin to begin with and couldn't afford to lose more weight. It seems drastic to some but you do what you have to do. It's temporary. I have been reading through the posts on here for the last few days and I have seen others pull through really tough situations. I know my dad can do it, and I believe you can as well. Allow your body to heal and repair itself, and hopefully you will be back on the golf course in no time. Much love and hope to you.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. i haven't gotten too bad on my chemo yet so I can't say that I know what you are going through but I am sending good thoughts your way. Hang in there, stay strong!

Dear solivita,
I have just recovered from my 1st round, so I also do not know the degree of what you are experiencing yet.

I have been told as katiejo stated, that the effects are cumulative & have read of many other's horrible experiences.

Stay strong...you were active before, you will be active again!!!

I send you my strength, good vibes, prayers & love.

Solivita,
See if your doctor can prescribe a physical therapist to come to your home for a few visits. It is a shame Florida has no medical marijuana program yet as it can help stimulate appetite and combat nausea. There is a prescription drug called Marinol which can have some benefit if you have no access to the marijuana plant. Some have gotten good results for appetite with Megace. For nausea, you could ask your doctor about Onodaterone (Zofran). Good luck.
Dave

I'm in Michigan now and we do have medical marijuana up here, I was told to get it ,but how can I smoke it when I need the lungs to recover ?? My tumor is shrinking 3.3cm to 2.8 now . I know this is working I need to be positive. It is all I can do now, with prayers from friends and family ,God willing I'll make it to the 5th and be stronger, Thank you for all the replies and God Bless, Prayers to all here....Jenny

Hang in there Jenny! I'm just getting ready to start my 3rd round on Thursday so I don't know whether what you're going through is normal or not; I DO know what you mean about funny smells.... I don't think anything about this is normal! Be kind to yourself, I'll pray that you get some relief.

Jenny
I know what you mean.
The smell of food made me sick. I got some cheap banquet like mac an cheese .
I would sit down an eat them fast as I could then leave the table. Some times they did not stay down but I tried.
I got threw it .I pray that you do also .
Bless you
Greg

Jenny,
You can use a vaporizer which heats up the herb to approximately 360 degrees which releases the active ingredients without burning it, or you can have someone saute it in butter or olive oil and strain the melted butter/ heated oil through cheesecloth, let it cool and then you can keep on hand in the refrigerator and spread on toast to serve it. There may be a local medical marijuana chapter that could provide you with assistance with both safely acquiring the plant and preparing it in ways that would be easy for a cancer patient to ingest. My oncologist had no hesitation in signing my application when asked.

I would ask to take a break. You've already had 4 rounds and they are usually 4-6 rounds. Since it's cumulative, see if you can wait a week or two and take some megace or marinol. Get some whey protein and add to drinks. Put flowers or air freshners around your house. Drink, drink, drink! Wishing you the best.
Take care, Judy

Hi, after the fourth one i was absolutely shattered. They decided not to do 5 or 6 with me as the PET scan after 4 showed NED. So keep on going girl. Just try and keep up the fluids, i know its soooooooo hard. Maybe try a break ,I had an extra week after the 1st and second and did wonders. God bless, Sarah x

Dearest Solivita,
I had 6 rounds of chemo and yes, by the fourth, I remember coming home, laying in bed for a week at least...hoping for death because I felt so ill. So, I just slept thru it and hoped the rest of the family made sure to slip me some broth or anything to keep me alive. (not trying to be scary to anyone) This is my experience and emotions. After the week, I was fine. My body began to crave the chemo, almost as if it knew when it was time for another round...it was weird and I never got a direct answer...lol...so I let it go. Four and more chemo treatments is torture. I am so glad it is over...so, yes, everything you are going through is how it is. Take the above advice about fluids. Just rest/sleep it out. Do not try to be *normal* :D...since no one knows what that is anyway. Stay positive, keep strong....You'll pull thru it...everyone here will root for ya...pray for ya....be here for ya!! To help me, I really didn't know what to do....what to think...anything...so, I went thru most of my treatment with my rose colored blinders on...I stayed cheerful, as if nothing was to much out of the ordinary...tried to help others there going thru the same, anything to keep my mind off of me!! It worked...and I hope that I helped some people too.
I probably should have woke up before writing... :/
Peace, Love and Prayers~
Mari x0x0x

Dear Solivita,
What a trooper you are!
You have great results and you know you are on the path to see NED!!
Of course you are tired. Allow yourself to sleep and get rest. Try as hard as you can to stay up on the fluids. Small meals and air out the house frequently. When you don't feel like eating hot food, try bananas, yogurt and avocados. Eggs too pack a lot of nutrition.
Try ginger, tea or crystallized can help with nausea. You can get a vaporizer and some essential oils, lavender and eucalyptus are good scents. You can even put a drop or two of the eucalyptus on the soles of your feet, It helps to clear the lungs. I personally do not like the commercial air fresheners and the scented candles, I think this is a great alternative. Most health food stores have the vaporizer and the oils. There is nothing toxic in it. Some chamomille tea can be very soothing. If you use the bags you can dab your face with the bag after steeping the tea. It soothes the skin that can become dry during chemo treatments.
One day at a time remember?
You are doing great, you will pull through this.
Love and hugs,
Annika

Hang in there. I know how tired you are and how you can't eat. I lost 40 lbs. You'll feel better once the treatments end. Take one day at a time.

Thank you all for the replies, today is better ,still no appetite drinking green tea with a ginger tea bag , not bad. also I was a coffee addict before (whole pot) now the smell of coffee makes me gag.

So the 1st of Nov is next treatment,and I know it will be the same,, one week in bed sick , will go in for fluids and then after that on with my life until nov 22nd # 6 Dr said a pet scan after #6 .
I had fluid in the lung, had that drained in Aug,has not returned also had cancer cells in. hope I can return to florida in Jan 2011 need to get home. Prayers and God Bless all the wonderful people on Inspire....thank you, Jenny

Solvita,hang in there.I just agreed to 2 extra Carboplatin treatments and since Friday have felt awful with #7 I got last tuesday.I feel like am I nuts,let this pass.Diarrhea,constipation,not much appetite and constant gas.Have to burn candles.Gingerale and Sprite zero have helped.Started walking yesterday.Have dropped 8&1/2 lbs.Finally stomach a little better today.Cummulative is definitely true but each time has been differerent.#1&#6 have been almost trouble free.I think Slow Mag to build me up made it worse.Just drink and eat anything you think you can.Sunday we had a meal at church.I ate very bland green beans and later some fresh fruit.I just empathisize with you buty ou will find this ends and then even enjoy a walk again soon.PrayersAndiB

The doctor prescribed marinol pills (5 mg) for my partner and it really helps her want to eat. I heard that they make candies with medical marijuana as well, which can be helpful. But, when you are tired it might be hard to go get a prescription and your current doctor should be able to write you a prescription now for marinol.

It is just such a hard thing, chemo, radiation. Really affects healthy people hard.

Best to you, hope you find relief soon.

Try Marinol or Megace pills instead - pill form marijuana.

Dear Solivita:

Yes, it sounds just about right. My 4th round knocked me on my butt. I was a little longer getting back to normal, however, each chemo made me very tired where I just wanted to sleep for almost a week.

I did take in a lot of fluids and yogurt. Oh yogurt was wonderful and great flavors. I also did eat bananas and grapes, sometimes chicken soup.

Annika had a great idea also with scents. Somtimes changing the smell of the house will make a big difference. My daughter bought me some lavender essential oil I used to put it on my hair line. Things smelled better.

You are finished with number 4, so you are doing good. Please keep on trying and I think you will get through this.
God Bless ♥

I am 10 days past round 5 and same thing-I eat ANYWAY but little energy and I'm only 51.

Just feed the engine knock out the big tumors.

Try ice cream shakes.. or carnation instant breakfast.. force yourself to eat just a little at a time.

I got down to 98 lbs. I had radiation and chemo together.

What does not kill us makes us stronger.. I will add you to my prayers

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders