How long does it take to get biopsy results?

I had a needle biopsy yesterday morning and my husband and I are very anxious about the results. How long should I expect to wait before the results are ready? I want to know, but I'm afraid to know. Does this make sense?

16 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Floridafreckles,

The results should be available in about 72 hours. In some instances they are able to tell same day and a VATS biopsy turned into a wedge resection. I don't have a clue why the difference. Maybe someone can check in and let us know.

Did your doctors office schedule an appointment for later this week to discuss the results with you? I will think positive thoughts your way.

Mine was in 3 days.

Hi Floridafreckles
I was given updates as they were doing the biopsy. The pathologists was examining the specimens as the dr removed them, but the final report was about three days.
Good luck
Kim

I had a biopsy last wensday.. i still dont know anything.. me and my family are a wreck.. the stress alone can kill you.. i feel your pain.. fear is so powerful..and your mind goes back forth.. i think i can have it to no i dont think i do.. good luck

My doc didn't schedule an appt. But told me to call him after the biopsy. He hasmy message to call me. Thanks for the good thoughts. What is a VATS biopsy?

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Hi, Denzie. The biopsy taken during surgery is a frozen section...pathology freezes the tissue, slices it, stains it & checks it microscopically. It's a very quick method to scan surgical tissue & get the results back to the surgeon ASAP. For the regular biopsies, the tissue has to be put in a fixative, then into an embedding material. Then it can be sliced, stained & viewed. This procedure takes much longer, but the report is much more detailed.
Gail

They can usually give you a preliminary diagnosis on the day of biopsy, but the patho report takes about 72 hours as already stated. Call again if you're not getting a call back. This is the time to start advocating for yourself, especially if this turns out to be cancer. Can you tell us where the biopsy was from?
Take care, Judy

my left lung.

Floridafreckles,

A VATS biopsy is simply using the VATS (video assisted thoracic surgery - using three small incisions and sometimes robotic assistance to access the lung without "spreading" ribs... breaking and/or removing some of the rib cage) to access the lung and take a wedge portion of the lung. They then biopsy that to see if your nodule is cancerous. If it is, they can then use the same incisions to remove the lobe in question if the nodule is cancerous. If it is not, they close you up.

Courage

Chum

Every step of my diagnosis seemed to take two weeks to get results: CT scan, PET scan, and biopsy. And then I had to wait for every for my surgery because of Christmas. Oh yeah, Thanksgiving was part of the reason for some of the delays.

18 months later it's still the same. I had a follow up CT scan on the 2nd of this month, and I'm only getting the results at 2 pm this afternoon on the 18th. (Say a prayer!!!!) That's 16 days of waiting, anxiously. Can you say "terminal scanxiety?" jimx

I think it depends on the facility you are having everything done at. I had a Chamberland procedure (surgical) because bronchioscope and needle biopsy could not get the tissue needed. When I came to after the Chamberland my surgeon was standing there and told me yes it is cancer. As for final report and typing the tumor that came within 3 days. Also I have my CT scans the day before my 2 mo followup appointments with oncologist and he has the report when I see him the next day. I have my labs 30 mins before I see the Dr. and he has the report at the time of my visit.

My doctor called today with great news. My needle biopsy showed no cancer cells. He thinks what he is seeing and what was biopsied is still a slowly resolving pneumonia.

I wanted everyone to know that this group has been so wonderful for me. Please know that you are in my prayers and I will never take my health for granted again. Hang in there and remember, I will be praying for you.

Ff, you really don't know how blessed you are to not have cancer. I'm thankful for your good news. And yes, please continue to pray for the rest of us. jimx

Hi, what did they see that caused you to get a biopsy? The reason I ask is that they saw no cancer cells in my biopsy, as well. Did they tell you what they did see in your biopsy? Was it inflammatory cells? Just so you know, certain lung cancers have a high rate of false negatives. Depending on what they saw in your scans and biopsy, you might want to do follow up just to be sure.

I have to agree with Frangipani. Needle biopsies can miss cancer cells if there are none in the mass where the needle goes. I'd want to be rescanned in 3 months to see if it grows and if it does, then have another biopsy. Take care, Judy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders