How do you qualify for Soc.Sec. disability and medicaid?

Hi Everyone,
My Dad, who is 59, was diagnosed with NSCLC in Dec. 2010. Looking down the road, we want to know what happens if you lose your job and private insurance benefits, but are too young to get social security and medicare. I'm sure someone on this site has faced this before. Could you please point me in the right direction or a discussion that might give me the information we need.
Thanks so much and God Bless!!
Rachael

14 replies. Join the discussion

My husband went to the social security office and signed me up. I think they then review the case and decide whether your eligible. I was, but I've heard that people have a hard time getting a disability. I believe I won't get medicad or medicare for two years from the time I got the disability. I would definetly keep my private insurance if I could. Nancy from Montana

Apply for Social security disability ASAP. It takes 5-6 months after he`s approved before the first payment will arrive. But he should have no problem getting approved. Good luck and God bless!

I live in Ohio and am just going through it now..check or google your state and social security also medicaid.
I got on food stamps, and medicaid quickly..am now waiting for Supplemental Social Security.
It was easy..they look at income and DX.
I started out by googling Ohio Social Security...and it led me to all the correct places...good luck!!!
hugz dom

Because of our stage four diagnosis, the SS person who interviewed us, backed up to the date of diagnosis and we started receiving benefits within two months of applying, my husband will be eligible for medicare after two years, so I guess just one year now.

The 6 mths. is from diagnoisis not from when you sign up. Steve was diag. in June, filled in Dec. and got his 1st check in Jan. He'd even worked alittle inbetween but it was okay. Did it online, got a phone call from there the next day. Answered a million questions and they sent us out a form to sign to release info., sent it back and done. I'm sure if you'd go to the office it would be quicker but w/my work I couldn't. It was alot easier then we thought :) Chris/Steve

Go online to SSS.gov. Fill out the disability report there are at least 55+ disease that pretty much cannot be denied disability and get priority processing. You will not receive the first disability check until the 6th month after the disability began (dx date). Also apply for SSI with SSi they use the same disability report and your claim would be expedited due to the diagnosis. We applied for my hubby's all on-line, did one phone interview and he had SSI and Medicaid by sept 1. He was dx'd in July. Once he got his disability he lost his SSI because he got too much so we lost the Medicaid. We are now on a spend down but also have gotten assistance thru the hospital where he gets treatment so we are surviving financially. It's not always easy but we are making it. Follow up with a phone call to ask for expedited processing for both SSi & disability once you do the report online. Hubby got his disbility approval letter within 60 days so we had SSI until Jan and disability kicked in Feb.

Thank you all so much for the quick responses. There is so much to worry about and this just puts one more worry to rest! May God bless each one of you on this journey!!

Call your local social security office and make an appointment. They will send you a packet and set an appointment for you to come in and they will tell you all the documentation you will need.....My dad is 64 so he was right at the mark to get his social security and he applied for disability and medicare. It only took him a month to get approved for disability and medicare. We are waiting on medicare cards now. Also they will go back as far as the day he was diagnosed with cancer for his disability pay. All them bills that are coming in....you can call them and tell them you got medicare pending and they will usually give you more time. If you can keep your insurance at work as a supplement and pay it on your own through the company that is what you should do. So call social security today and get an appointment. Good Luck to U
Love
Jeannie

They will go back to the date of dx as long as he was Not working-if he was working, they go back to the date he could no longer work. You will have to wait 5 months, as that waiting period applies to everyone for SSD, but he may be entitled to SSI if he meets the income guidelines.

Make sure you, make your agent aware that Lung Cancer falls under the "Compassionate Care" allowance. This means for them to "speed" the process up. Instead of waiting months to get an answer, you will usually get it within days or a week or two, depending on how fast they get the info from the doctors.
If he is stage 3 or 4 you should have No problem. Have your doctor write that the dx will result in death. Our Oncologist warned us of the language he would use, but to pay no attention to it, it was for SS only.
My husband was approved in a few weeks, and received his first check 5 months later.
SS is the same in all states, it's Federal, so is SSI. It's Medicaid and other assistance that can vary.

Hope this helps,

God Bless,

You can file online. Google it and the system will walk you through it. You get a decision fast. Please have all your doctor's names, address and phone numbers at hand.
Good luck!

It really depends on your location and who you talk to make sure and get a letter from your Onc and make copies. You can apply online but what I did is apply online and then I called my local SS office and talked to a live person I finished my online app. on January 4th and had my first check March 3rd so for SS disability that was pretty quick. I am 58 and this has been a life saver as I cannot work I have SCLC and I feel fine except for numbness in my hands and feet. There are a lot of resources out there if you need help feel free to make me a friend and send me a message...Cindy

I live in PA and called my Social Security office. I have been off of work since 11/1/10 for back surgery. I called in March after being diagnosed with Stage 4 NSCLC. I began receiving my disability check in May. As I'm still on sick leave from work, I'm now paying for COBRA for my insurance, as my insurance expired after 6 months at work. Has your Dad been working all of this time? It takes appx. 6 months from when you last worked. I obtained it so easily because I'm stage 4 and they took it back to my last date of employment. To get Medicaid, you have to call your local Department of Public Welfare office to apply. If he's still working it's unlikely he'd be eligible, but anything is possible.Best of luck to you. Marilyn

Thanks again for all of the advise! My dad is still working as much as he can, mostly part-time. I forwarded him this discussion and he wants to hold off for a bit. You never know which way things are going to turn on this journey. He just started on Tarceva and may get some good results and more time. He doesn't want to file too soon and end up drained of all income. I wish there were better ways in our healthcare system to take care of cancer patients. The last thing someone needs to worry about is trying to stay afloat financially while fighting cancer.

Stage IV NSCLC is automatic approval for SSDI and they will post date it to the date of diagnosis or when you stopped working. I believe you become eligible for Medicare after two years on Disability. Get the paperwork started immediately. It's not much, but it's better then nothing.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders