high alkaline diet

Hey does anyone have any experience with high alkaline diets?
I am nearing the end of treatment and want to get started on nutrition, supplements and vitamins.
Anyone have any experience, suggestions, recipes?
thanks
dom

17 replies. Join the discussion

I recently purchased to book, "Crazy, Sexy diet" by Chris Karr. Great book, she follows the High Alkaline diet and details what you should eat and why you should eat it.

Take Care,
Donna

Dom,
I do lots of green smoothies. I don't really follow a recipe. I put in some soy milk or water, protein powder and spinach or wheatgrass powder. Then I add a couple of servings of whatever fruit I have on hand. I always try to leave in the seeds and don't remove the leaves.
Wild blueberries and papaya are great to add.
Adding some lemon to tea or water makes it alkaline. Never use artificial sweeteners as they are very acidic.
You can buy ph paper to test the urine for acidity. You also do not want to get too alkaline.
I would be happy to share my supplement program if you are interested.
One other thing you may already know--exercise is as important as diet.
Victoria

If you would like to friend me and send me your email address, I can send you the PDF that my naturopath gave me when I started treatment. I sometimes have a hard time getting enough protein, as I used to depend on dairy a lot. I'm expanding the sources with more fish and veggies.

Although there are no studies confirming an alkaline diet fights or prevents cancer, there are some that show it helps osteoporosis. So, it sure can't hurt.

Hi Dom- I am far from a health nut but have slowly and more than ever now been drawn into the considerations. I have a friend who is very well versed on the Alkaline considerations for health. She has fought breast cancer completely with Alkaline. (I was to scared to trust it completely) Anyway, the test strips are necessary to record your Alk levels. Fruits and veggies and less meat proteins Are what you need to keep Alkaline levels. We do need more proteins because of what we loose during treatments and after so don't skimp on the right kinds of proteins. My friend is in to the Kanga Water systems for all the water they drink. (I can line you up with a distributor if you are interested)

I drank the magic water for the six months prior to my Chemo and plan to restart it again soon. I wanted to wait till chemo did it's magic and I was told my onc that it stays with you for three months and I did not want to interfere with that.

I can tell you that while on the Kanga water, I felt strong, had fewer colds, and craved fewer sweets. I felt like I pee-ed out alot of bad stuff. (What ever that was-???>%$) Anyway, you do end up in the bathroom a lot.

And now I am researching the benefits of wheatgrass. (Thanks Victoria for your input!) I am convinced that most we have wrong with us is from what we have eaten that is right for us. This is even more difficult for me since I live with the cookie monster who loves his Ice cream. I am so weak. But all and all I want to try to skip those treats and be here for a while longer.
Good Luck,
Julie JB

I have looked for the strips to test urine/saliva, can't find them, where do you buy them?
Baking soda is the highest Alkaline Dom. I bought some vegan capsules and put baking soda in them to make it easier for Jim to take. God knows he is good at taking pills. : )
Mountain Valley water is 8.0, there are higher levels of water too. I am not a pro at this, but have read that if we have cancer in our bodies, our systems are acid.
Did you google it, there is a list of Alkaline/Acid foods.
Funny, lemons are citric acid, but absorbtion through the small intestine changes it to alkaline.
Jim is eating the Budwig diet, I followed the recipe at the Budwig site, hoping it will keep "it" away while while he finishes rads.
Used the capsules for tumeric/black pepper as well.
Glad you are almost finished w/tx pal!!
Cindy

I was very dedicated to my nutrition all through chemo and pci but when lung rads came i completely lost my appetite and went off the wagon...now since radiation is almost over I am looking forward to getting back into my groove.
Thanks for all the posts. I appreciate the support!
dom

I can't say enough about Memorial Sloan Kettering Integrative Medicine site and their database on alternative treatments, herbals and botanicals.

Here's a link:
http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/cesium-chloride

I searched "alkaline diet" on the main page and it came back with a link to cesium choride. Each herb, botanical, etc page gives detailed information and most important, reference studies. I'm a firm beleiver in value of alternative treatments and good nutrition, but unfortunately, there's a lot of the proverbial magic snake oil sales people out there. One must be vigilent. Of course a lot of people who claim miracle cures may really be cured, but I suspect some of these cures may result more from the power of belief or some other agent rather than the miracle cure.

Since my husband was diagnosed almost a year ago, it seems like everyone has an opinion about some magic potion or treatment. Our very religious neighbor swears by this guy who does special accpuncture where he lays hands and prays over you--all at $250 a pop. The guy who delivers our water swears by elligiac acid because he knew someone who knew someone and the person he referred to us is a sales representative for the product and of course it's a miracle, especially at a price. You can look up elligiac acid on MSK site too by the way. Someone brought up the alkaline diet thing over Thanksgiving. The professor down the street, now turned organic mushroom farmer swears by mushrooms. I looked those up and they seemed to actually have some anti-cancer properties and seemed to work on relieving chemo and radiation side effects so I bought some for hubby--trametes, reishi, chaga, cordyceps.

Check the site out. Memorial Sloan Kettering is the number 2 cancer hospital center in the country behind MD Anderson. I was impressed that a traditional allopathic hospital would have something like this. It's been very helpful to me.

Hi Dom, I'm glad to hear that you're almost through with Tx!!! Here is a link to a list of Alkaline foods. I'm not very disciplined with my diet but DO try to add more Alkaline foods to my diet and a couple times a week I drop an Alka-Seltzer tablet into some juice....It's basically Sodium Bicarbonate with aspirin in it - a cheap and easy way to bring your Ph level up, relieve pain and inflammation, get rid of indigestion and thin the blood; all at the same time! When is your Radiation Graduation? ♥ Viktory

Alka-Seltzer!!! Viktory, thanx pal, never thought about that one! Good idea, got it on the list. : )
Cindy

If you're not currently undergoing medical treatment, it might not hurt. But if you are undergoing treatment, the high antioxidant levels and other nutrients might interfere with the treatment and prevent cancer cells from dying.

Some of the so-called alkaline diet sounds self-contradictory. E.g., lemons are alkaline? E.g., cider vinegar is alkaline but regular vinegar is acidic? Basically, your body won't let your pH change much, and you can't force it to change much without killing yourself. It doesn't sound like there's much real, substantiated, peer-reviewed, repeatable science behind it, but I can't say I've read about it more than superficially.

There are so many ideas and reports thats for sure!
Yes lemons are citric acid, but alkaline once absorbed. Dr Budwig says to start your day with lemons.
I read one story/report that when lemon juice was introduced to cancer cells (do not know which type cancer cells) the juice killed the cancer.
There are so many opinons, tests, reports, studies and I imagine most of them are bogus, but most of us will choose a few to try.
Jim is eating the Budwig Protocol. Someone mentioned a few weeks ago to not eat honey, it is sugar!! Dr Budwig says to add raw unpasturized honey to the cc/fo. And we do.
I do like the Alka-Seltzer idea, lol cure all! But I will have to check the aspirin mg, Jim can only have the 81mg while on chemo, he starts Gemzar soon. And has the vertebroplasty this Wed, no aspirin of any kind for week.

I am finding that a high alkaline diet is also a high anti-angiogenisis diet.
I am also finding that the diet I was on before I fell off the wagon was both high alkaline and high anti-angiogenisis.
Im back to juicing twice a day..I have 5 rad treatments left....I cant wait to be done...i have been in treatment since march with no breaks I know he is trying to save my life but I seriously ..need a break.

How are you feeling pal? Hope things are getting better for you.
I will be happy for you when you have that last tx!! You do need a break!! Choose what you think will work within your lifestyle.
Jim does the Budwig b/c he kinda likes it. lol He likes cod liver oil!! SHUT UP! But since he is not on chemo at the moment, I am glad he goes along with it, eats it every day but once sometimes twice a week.
Let us know when you finish, I know you will! : )
Cindy

Dom I do a few things to keep my body in an alkaline state. It is very difficult to by diet unless you are a Vegan. I am not, so I need extra help and it works for me. Diet is #1 that's if you like grass clippings. Just kidding. You must stay away from COFFEE, ANY KIND OF SODA, NO RED MEAT. ANYTHING WHITE LOSE IT. Stick with ocean fish only and some chicken. Lots of salads and greens. Orange juice is acid going in but it turns alkaline in body. I also take 1/2 tsp baking soda 3x a day in 8oz. of water. I also use alkaline drops for my water. My tap water is 6.pH with the drops I make it 8.5. when you use baking soda you can easily make the water 10pH.
STAY A WAY FROM SUGAR. NO SWEETS. And drink at least 72oz of water a day.
I haven't posted in a while and have been a bit down. Last 2 scans not good. Cancer growing again in lung and liver again. I am now off Avastin and had my 1st Alitma treatment last week. Lots of fatigue, constipation and headaches nearly everyday. I have noticed more pain where my liver is so I maybe in trouble. All I ask is for everyone to pray for me. And what ever God's will is, so be it. I tried detoxing my body a couple of weeks ago and boy did that kick my ass. Stopped and now feeling better.
A question for the readers. My voice has been on and off hoarse for 12 months. It is now becoming a whisper. Doctor is not sure if it is the NSCLC, but clinical trial people say it is common and the disease.
Anyone help on that? I've never had a scope done. And I was a singer in all my years. Now 63 trying to get to 64.
Sorry so long winded. Good luck Dom. God Bless ALL.

I am doing well..saw the rad onc today..I have 4 days left...monday is my last one.
Lost 4 more lbs..and my wbc is still only 2.4..they want it to be 6.5.
I keep telling the doc my nautal weight is 155 I still weigh 168...i gained about 15 lbs on steroids..but he insists I eat..eat what?..Im not hungry, and then when i think I want something it tatses like cardbaord..and if I eat the spicy I want it gives me horrid heartburn. 4 more treatments and then I am done..he wont want me back until after the holidays.
I am slammed with work..I dont have time for these lung rads.I wanna go to Palm Springs after the Holidays.
Alan, I am doing almost everything you suggested-i juice twice a day. I just need to make my water high alkaline..I hate OJ---it gives me heartburn..always has cant eat grapefruit it messes with hiv meds.
I hope your issues clear up and you have a nice Holidays.
Cindy, Monday 4 days is my last treatment..I told them today and I NEVER wanna see you again..lol..they laffed. My onc not rad onc but regular onc said no fancy diets until after treatment is over....so next tuesday im gonna add Budwig
as well as high anti angionenisis and high alkaline..Im looking for a integrative md or a naturopth to advise me on supplements...and what to do about this D# situation.
thanks for everybodies help i appreciate it.
fa la la
dom

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders