Hemp oil - can it cure lung cancer?

My father was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 3 months ago and the doctors say that mets have already spread to adrenal area. They have given him 12-18 months. He's opted out of getting chemo.

I've heard a lot about hemp oil and was wondering if any of you have any experience with it. I would like some feedback. Thanks.

9 replies. Join the discussion

Not sure how old your dad is or how he is feeling but unless he is over 80 and feeling pretty sick I don't know why he would opt out of chemo treatments? The Dr. cannot give a time limit on his life as no one knows that for sure, there are survivors on this site with the same cancer as your Dad and they are doing well 10 years later and were told the same timelines as your Dad was.
If your dad wants to live he needs to get up and start fighting for it. My husband had a 15% survival rate with SCLC and is NED today, 3 years later, your dad's odds are better than that, there are many different drugs they can try for NSCLC. My hubby had Chemo, lung radiation and brain radiation and went back to work less than a month after the treatments were done. Lost his hair twice and lots of fatigue, other than that he did ok. his treatemnts lasted 6 months. Tell your dad to rethink his position on all this, he does not have an expiry date stamped on the bottom of his feet. I wish him all the best!! take care.

I was diagnosed with Stage IV non small cell lung cancer 2 years ago, it had spread to my adrenal glands, I also had bone mets and a leson on my Liver... All that cancer is now gone. :-) I am still undergoing treatment, I have a small amount that is local in my lung, my other lung is clear. I do not understand why people do not give chemo a chance, it is not as bad as you may think. the newer drugs are much better and more tolerable than the older drugs. I enjoy life and I will not give in to a disease. I have children and a family who love me... I say give it a shot. I have not gotten sick not one time because of chemo.. not once... I have gotten tired for the first couple of days, but never sick, and I still work full time, I have since I was diagnosed.

Every case is different. I think your dad has just as good a chance as anyone else dealing with this mess. I will never give up. My doctor has never mentioned anything to me about any time frames to live, heck, he is trying to get rid of the cancer, that is what his passion is. Anyway..... I hope your dad gives treatment a try...

My mother was dx with stage IV NSCLC that has also spread to her adrenel glad and she found out last week she also has 5 brains mets... And believe me, when she first found out she was very against chemo, that’s was until the doctor told her if she did Nothing she would have two yrs to live..

She wants to live and will do anything in her power to fight this and live her life managing her cancer.. they say it cannot be cured, but it can be brought under control and managed as a chronic illness.. like the pervious replies state - there are many people on this site that have been living a long live after dx.. the first step is the fight!!

Regarding the Hemp Oil.. I really do not know much about any hemp oil protocol, but I have looked into a lot of alternative treatments out there, with the Budwig protocol (using Flax Seed oil) being the one I focused on the most (bec of the concept of the Flax oil being absorbed into the cells and re charging them). However, at the end of the day I realized that even though a lot of these alt treatments have worked on all sorts of cancers at different stages, there are so many factors that play into their success; age, health, lifestyle, etc.. So for my mother we decided that Chemo was the best way to go to get this under control and then by making a lifestyle change including, diet, supplements, etc.. is the best way to keep everything under control moving forward.

I came across a book on this site that you may find helpful. It’s by Greg Anderson, it’s called Cancer: 50 Essential Things To Do. The author who himself was dx with stage IV NSCLC and given 30 days to live over 20 yrs ago, interviewed over 16,000 cancer survivors with a common dx of - Go home and get your affairs in order.

http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-50-Essential-Things-Third/dp/0452290104/ref=sr _1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319779395&sr=8-1

One of the main things the survivors in this book and the survivors that I have come across on this site have in common, is that they took control of fighting this decease.. they did everything they could; all types of treatments (convention and alternative), trials, changed eating habits, mediation, etc.. Anything that would give them the mental edge of control.

And as someone form this site told me, a prognosis of 12-18 months (or any prognosis for tht matter) is unethical.. No one knows what the time frame is.. most dr.'s look at an outdated chart (before a lot of the new chemo meds had come out) and ramble off stats.. I actually walked out of a Dr's office last week with my mother (the #2 ranked cancer hospital in the US), when the dr told her (after I told him we didn't want to know) that she had 6 months to live if she got treatment or not, but she should start treatment right now..

You want to be treated by a dr who wants and thinks that they can get you better... not take away your hope of managing this disease and living many more yrs..

Definitely do all the research you can before making your treatment decision. I know alot of the doctors say that chemo only works 25-30% of the time, but that stat again is misleading.. everyone is different. There are many new test out there that may be able to give your dad a better idea of the type of treatment his cancer will respond too.

Here are a few that I know of:

* Gene mutation assay (any Dr can do it)
* Chemosensitivity assay (done by Dr. Robert Nagourney from Rational Therapeutics),
* Cell Growth assay (not sure who does it, I am looking into it right now for my mother)
* CTC assay (really do not know much about)

As of now, my mother didn't have enough cells in her biopsy to perform the gene mutation test (even though it seems that some of the targeted drugs work well on a lot of people who actually do not have the gene mutation), and she cannot have the proper biopsy done to perform the chemosensitivity test (which is the one I wanted her to have done). So now I am looking into the other two tests I mentioned.. but if she isn't able to be tested, I do have confidence that whatever chemo treatments she is given will work..

Again, the above info is just a few things I came across and have no idea if one is better than the other. I do know the medical oncologist's my mother has dealt with so far (3 in total) have only offered the gene mutation test and down played any other test. I do believe all these test do work to some extent, you will be able to find people on this site that have had successful treatment after using them.

Having your dad tested may give him a better feeling about having chemo. There are a lot of people here using Tarceva (a targeted chemo drug in a pill form they take every day) for multiple yrs and doing very well..

I would def encourage you to ask a lot of questions on this site about all the different types of assay tests out there and have one done before your dad makes his decision to forgo chemo for a alternative trestment..You only get one chance at this, make sure all your bases are covered..

I'm not a believer in any alternative medicine or extreme diets or so-called nutraceutical supplements as a primary treatment. I've not found them to be substantiated by trusted research, and some things some of them recommend might even interfere with real medicine or promote cancer progression.

However, when research-substantiated treatments aren't working anymore and there's nothing more to try, I believe alternatives can play a useful role in possibly buying a little more time and at least making you feel like you have a little influence over the progression.

P.S. - I don't know if it's true, but I've read that if Apple's Steve Jobs hadn't delayed timely surgery in favor of his 'natural alternative' attempt, he might still be with us a little longer today.

Innylik:

I think all of the advice you've received from everyone here is of utmost importance. Of course, your dad's choice is ultimately his. However, I also think that we need to do whatever we can to win over this horrible disease. I believe chemo and radiation, while sometimes difficult with many side effects, should most definitely be considered. There are many survivors on this site who have only had the traditional chemo and radiation treatments and are alive and well because of them today.

That being said, I also believe that we have to take responsibility for our own health and take our lives into our own hands to find what works best for us. My father was diagnosed with SCLC last November 15th and while it's been a difficult road for him, he is trying to do whatever he can to get himself well following treatments. Although totally against marijuana, he is willing to give the medical marijuana a try to help bring back his appetite. I did a little bit of research for him and came across the following...some very startling evidence that marijuana or hemp oil can definitely help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_iqwHLaFW8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVTaJn1dMrs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSXhwP5QjUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmviQBB5DHs

Of course, you'll have to do your own research and be comfortable with whatever decisions you, and more importantly, your father makes. Praying for some healing light for your dad.

yvettenorthof60

Innylik:

I should have mentioned that the first two videos are on DCA.

y.

As a child of the 70's I have had many friends and acquaintances recommend pot. I just laugh and say, "Hey I have lung cancer- smoking anything would be crazy. Maybe I could make brownies and eat it!" I do not think I will do either but anyway, I did read an article the other day- can't direct you to the site but it did talk about the benefit of marijuana in killing cancer tumor cells.

I didn't run out and by any pot, I would probably get busted and get my name in the paper. In addition to that, I much to paranoid for that kind of action. And besides I just went through all that cancer cell killing chemo. I am trusting that did it's job.

Seriously, I feel for you being in the position you are in with your father. Looking for options. I think age is an issue. Is he healthy enough to try chemo/radiation? There were several really old patients in my radiation center and also at my chemo center. I really looked up to them for trying the more aggressive care. Most seemed to be handling it well. I was fortunate to have had only a few problems with my treatments. Radiation was harsher on me than the Chemo.

Best luck with helping your Dad through this. Maybe you can have him read some of the success stories here.
Julie B

MRL

Of course some medical oncologists are going to down-play cell-based assays (chemosensitivity assay). Good review papers exist on these assays and are increasingly appreciated, understood and applied by the private sector and European clinicians and scientists. The literature on these assays have not been understood by many NCI investigators and by NCI-funded university investigators, because their "knowledge" was almost always geared toward an assay technique that hasn't been used in private labs for over twenty years now.

In fact, the technology in that old technique is being used today in one of the molecular profiling (gene mutation) assays being sold to the public. A molecular test utilizing living cells, but generally of individual cancer cells in suspension, sometimes derived from tumors and sometimes derived from circulating tumor cells. However, this was tried with the Human Clonogenic assay, which had been discredited long ago.

There really is no cell growth assay labs anymore. Oncotech was a venture-capital contolled American laboratory providing individual chemoresponse testing as a service to patients and physicians since the mid-1980s, until 2008, when it was acquire by Exiqon. Exiqon installed its own management team, continuing to operate Oncotech as a wholly-owned subsidiary, with a business model centered around providing chemoresponse assays on a (US) national basis — importantly to Medicare patients. After a few years, Exiqon took all Oncotech's vast (largest in the world) library of slides and spit them out last year, and Oncotech closed.

The closure of Oncotech, the principal purveyor of cell growth assays, illustrates the demise of a failed paradigm in the study and testing of human tumor biology. The cell-based assay utilized by Oncotech was a direct descendent of the Salmon/Von Hoff Human Clonogenic assay of the late '70s/early '80s.

Greg

Ok, after taking some time to dig, I found the article I was talking about in my earlier post. Hope this has something useful in for you. But note it was an old article 2007. I am careful to look for more updated studies.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm#.TqbZ5EfXl5o. email

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders