having lobe removed so scared

Hey all ,Thanks so much for all of your comments on last post. Went to see surgen today and they want to remove my husbands lower left lobe. And they want to do it now. Infact monday at 1 pm. They said that to wait any longer was putting him at risk for the leasion to go though lung wall and suffer a collapsed lung. When you all said that when things started to pappen that they would pappen fast you ment it lol. We are really worried because he has a 35 percent lung function loss from his enphazema and the doc said that this would take another 20 that seems like a lot to me. I am relly stressed becouse not only is he haveing this surgery and we still dont know exactly what the lesion is. but we are leaving our 3 year old daughter and going 100 miles away for at least a week. She has never been away from us for more than 48 hours and that was a year ago when we took a mini vacation one weekend. Also please pray that we will get this smoking thing taken care of We have tried to quit 3 times in the last month and keep failling . We are hoping that being at the hopsital will help. It is so stupid that even with all of this stuff going on that we havent been able to stop yet. About 20 years ago i was hooked on meth for a year. one day i woke up and said no more and that was it i Quit and never looked back. smoking a different storry pretty scarry .

sherry

9 replies. Join the discussion

First, of all, good luck to you and your husband. My husband had a lobectomy, lower left lobe, on 12/6/06....just 9 weeks ago. So, I know how scared you are. If you are traveling 100 miles from home, I am sure you are going to a good facility. My husband had the VATS technique; it is less invasive; I hope your husband can also have that procedure.

My husband had a complication: a pulmonary embolism. I think he was too immobile after surgery. So, make sure you get your husband up and walking as soon as possible.

As for your young daughter, kids are resilient. I am sure you will leave her with family or friends and that she will be cared for properly. Worry about your husband; your daughter will be fine.

As for the smoking, you & your husband owe it to each other and to your daughter to QUIT My husband quit smoking in October after smoking 1.5-2 packs for 40 years. He had to quit to prepare for the PET scan (before his diagnosis), and he never started again. And, this is a man who never made a serious effort to quit until this crisis. So, you can do it; you just have to make up your mind and suck it up.

It's not even up for debate. You have to quit. You can quit. Good luck to you both in the surgery. I will pray for you.

Sherry, regarding recovery time. My husband was in the hospital from 12/6-12/12...six days. He was back in the hospital with the pul. em. from 12/29-1/3...for another six days but from the day he came home, we have walked 2 miles per day at least 6 days a week. We're walking 18 min. miles, and he doesn't even get short of breath unless we walk uphill. You will be amazed at how well your husband will recover. But, he MUST quit smoking, and you must, too. You should also get a CT scan with contrast to make sure your own lungs are fine.

Don't worry to much about the lower lobe....I lost my whole left lung and can still breath pretty good. As far as smoking I smoked up until the day they took my lung.....after that I have not had one cig. in fact the smell of them turns my stomach. It may be harder for you then your husband to quit. Well good luck and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rick

Sherry: I smoked for 40 years and now having upper right lobe removed. I decided one day that I wanted to stay around if given a second chance so I just threw the cigarettes away cold turkey and never looked back and that was 8 months ago. God doesn't give too many second chances and it sounds like you may be given one. Yes your husband will have decreased lung function but you will be surprised how resilent the lungs are and I am sure he will adjust. It is okay to be scared so put your trust in God and let him handle it for he is always faithful and will never let you down. As far as smoking is concerned, both you and your husband really need to quit of you want to be around for your daughter, so look at quitting as a gift to your daughter. I have two grown daughters who for years begged me to quit but I did not listen and here I am with lung cancer but God has given me a second chance to beat this. Have faith that this will all work out. If they do the VATS technique his recovery will take about 3-4 weeks and before you know it he will be up and around. After surgery depending upon what they find you may want to talk to doctor about chemo just to make sure.

dear sherry,
i know this is scary, i too had a lobectomy and 1 1/2 yrs later i am doing fine. i also smoked up to the day of my surgery and began smoking again one week after my surgery until i finally quit. we all know how hard it is, try attending a 12 step groups for smokers or there are several smoking aids on the market that can help. i think we tend to look at cigarettes as calming us down and relieving stress but in reality they bring on guilt and shame which adds to stress. i'm praying for you and your husband during this trying time. the surgery is no picnic but you get thru it.
ellen

Prayers go out to your family. Hoping that the surgery goes well and that you can find some form of support to help you to quit smoking. It is addictive I am told and it is very hard to quit. It takes a lot
for some to quit and yet is easier for others. Ask the doctors what works best in their years of helping patients quit. Hang in there and best of luck. Jolene

Hi Sherry, Take heart and quit now. It is the hardest thing you probably will have to do but believe me it's worth it. The only way I quit was on surgery day because I could never do it with access to cigs. and after a week in the hospital . i still didn't breath well so i stopped and it did get easier the longer it went.
I had my two lower lobes removed on my right side 7 and 1/2 years ago.I'm a landscaper by trade and I still go out and physically work every day. Yes there are good dys and bad but the good ones out number the bad ones 20 to 1. breathing you do have to compromise but you learn what you can do and what you can't. This too gets easier with time but it does take time.
I am still here after being diagnosed with stage 3a NSCLC in august of 99. believe me your husband will be fine and you and your child will be too. OUR PRAYERS are withyou guys during these trying times. Just try to stay upbeat as much as you can. Good luck- John

Hi Sherry....good luck to your hb on his surgery....be happy that he is a candidate for surgery....I had a upper right lobectomy in Sept 04 the invasive kind....not VATS.....Not a piece of cake but it was very doable....up and around in no time....Thank you Jesus....

As far as smoking...not going to preach to you...cause being a FORMER smoker ...I know how tuff it is....I quit 8 yrs ago...cold turkey...had 2 more left in my pack and didn't even finish it....I just made up my mind like...'who you kidding girl'.....I got LC 6 yrs later but BAC...not the kind that comes from smoking....my prayers will be with you both...and your little girl will be fine...Go for it..
Pam

Hey I am new to this site and found your blog and wanted to ask you about the surgery. My mom has NSCLC we just found out im devastated (I know you understand the feeling) We are meeting with the surgeon tuesday and I am so afraid. She has emphazima and copd and has had a mild heart attack 3 yrs ago has been a heavy smoker for 40 years we have met w the surgeon once he said then she was at high risk for the surgery...... I know your husband is probably much younger than my mom but just tell me how it went and his condition going into the surgery. Thank you and I hope he is doing great now.....

Thanks,
Teresa

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders