Has anyone taken prednisone to relieve pain.?

Mom is 72 was dx with stage IIIb in june 08. Had to stop chemo because it was destroying her kidneys. Dr. said nothing else he can do so sent her home with hospice. Mom is in extreme pain and doesn't respond to the powerful pain pills. Dr. started her on prednisone today for 7 days. Does prednisone really help? How long can she stay on them and what are the side effects? We don't get to talk with the dr only the hospice nurse. She just said they'll make mom cranky and increase her appetite. Will it help with the pain?

6 replies. Join the discussion

Know that my lay opinion isn't worth much, in all probability. Yes, prednisone can make Mom hyper, BUT it does relieve inflammation. That means the part of your mother's pain that is inflammatory will be quickly eased.

My husband was put on Prednisone for a couple of months to try and help his breathingby reducing inflammation in his lungs.. It seemed to help for awhile and it also helped his appetite quite a bit. My Dr. explained to us that it can gives you an overall feeling of "well being." I don't think it should make her cranky but everyone is different. My husband seemed much better on it but his Dr. recommended he come off it b/c she didnt feel as though it was helping him all that much and can have some side effects.

Thanks, mom has been in so much pain for so long that I am so excited that she might actually start feeling better.
Pam

I just finished being weaned off of Prednisone for pain. I had pain in every joint in my body, even my toes. It really made a big difference. I don't feel that I was "cranky" but then again my husband may think otherwise. As soon as I stopped the pains came back. I'm currently taking colchicine which is a med pescribed for gout. It's working, though not as well as the prednisone.
Cheryll

Thanks. I was with mom all day today and she was up cleaning out fridge and doing dishes. I was thrilled to hear her say she wasn't hurting at all and then was just day 2 on the pred. How long do you think she can safely stay on it?
Pam

I was on prednisone from the end of August until the middle January. I was taking corticosteroids in other forms during my chemo. It will give you lots of energy. Funny, I did the same thing with the fridge. It will increase your appetite and you do tend to get "swollen". I've been told the swelling will go away but that it does take months. I don't know how long you can stay on prednisone but I know of an asthmatic that was on it for years. My experience was that it was worth taking.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders