Has anyone had a reaction to the dye they use for the PET or CT scan?

My mom has developed a nasty rash from the dye they used for her CT scan/ PET. Has anyone else had this reaction and if so can you tell me what the doctors told you or what you did to get rid or it? I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer!
The rash is all over her body where the dye traveled and it worsens when she gets a shower or gets warm.
Thank you all so much.
Natalie

17 replies. Join the discussion

Nard got sick to his stomach, Both times he had a CT scan, and the PET he had. Hard to explain. but it happened.
I would go and let the doctor see it.
I hope you mom feels better.

They use 2 different injections for CT scans and Pet scans. When you have a CT scan, they will usually ask you if you are allergic to shellfish, since it does have some iodine in it. I know of people who have broken out in a rash with this injection.

The PET scan is totally different. One of the reasons they want you to fast is the radioactive glucose. If you were diabetic, it could cause a lot of trouble. However, with this test, they always test your blood sugar before injecting you.

I have had both tests and have not had any reactions, however I am not diabetic or allergic to shell fish. I hope a few others will answer your post as well.

If your mom is itching a lot, there is a product you can get at Walmart and other places. It's Benedryl itch relieving gel. It's in a 4 oz bottle and it works very well.

Hope this helps,
Marylou

I would definitely go to the doctor. The only reaction I had was vomiting. P

Dear A&S, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this but I would call the on call Dr. and see what they say. It may be as simple as an OTC anti-histamine, but they might want to see her....Good Luck!

After a couple years of catscans, I developed an allergic reaction to it....hives, red blotches, swollen throat. They gave me benadryl next time, but it didn't help. Now I have to drink some sweet tasting stuff before they do a contrast catscan. Seems to still show them what they need to know.

Haven't had a problem tho with the MRI contrast material.

They should have recognized a reaction at the hospital and given her something. If it was just done today, I would call and let the doctor know.
Take care,
Cyn

ps. they gave me oral benedryl and epinephrin by IV when I had the serious reaction.

Thank you all so much for your help. I will send her to the doc/ER as soon as I can. She has very sensitive skin and I am not sure if it was the contrast or if she used something different on her skin.
She was very upset earlier about it so I thought I would ask.
I did ask her what sort of oral contrast they gave her and she said she has no idea. The benadryl is not working (oral capsules) so I will try the topical.
Thank you all so much!!!
Sincerely,
Natalie

I have anaphalactic allergic reactions to any contrast dyes / contrast drinks so they can not use contrast on me. That is why my oncologist was in total shock that they found my small tumor so early on a ct scan with no contrast.

Pet scan I have no problems with as that is a radioactive tracer no dye .....

I carry an epipen on me all the time just in case as am allergic to so many meds and foods. It is no fun !

God Bless!

~~ Patty

Hubby gets a wave of nauseau and coughs and chokes up (no vomiting) and then it subsides and they continue the test... has happened every time.
God Bless,
liz

My mom developed some rashes after a ct scan as well. We highlighted it to the docs and she now does her ct scans without the contrast medium.. Do make sure that the medical personnel are aware of the allergy the next time she goes for scans..

For my mom, the rashes took a few days to clear, some folks advised drinking more water to flush out the stuff she was allergic to..

Definitely tell you doctor about the reaction. CT scans use a contrast medium which contains iodine, the reason why you are sometimes asked the allergic to shellfish question. My father went into anaphylactic shock after he was injected with a contrast dye. Fortunately he was in a hospital at the time.

Even if your reaction was mild they should know for the next time you get a CT scan. Just to be safe, I told the technician about my dad's reaction when I had my 1st CT scan. They injected the dye slowly so that they could observe my reaction. This prevents that flush, BTW.

My daughter has bad reaction to iodine from CT scan and she gets hives. So now the Dr. Orders steroids before the scan that she has to take 13 hrs, 7 hrs and 1 hr before the scan. You need to let the doctor know right away. As I read somewhere it could get dangerous and it could cause breathing difficulties if untreated.

This needs to be addressed with the doctor as if it is an allergic reaction to the iodine in the contrast it will only get progressively worse with continued use.
Cheryll

Thank you all for your advice. My mom has decided to go to the doctors tomorrow. She is feeling better today. The rash is still there, but her energy and appetite are back for a bit.
Thank you all for writing me back and helping!
With love and sincerity,
Natalie

My wife got the rash the very next day after the CT scan contrast dye. I'm told it's iodine based. Next time if she absolutely must have the dye, then they will give her a steroid prep a day or so ahead of the scan.

Hi
My husband can not have a contrast scan without having benadryl and predizone first starting 12 hours prior.
The first time he had a reaction to the iodine dye, he ended up on steroids for about three weeks and me coating his body with calamine lotion constantly. He ended up with lots of pink T-shirts from the lotion!!
Hope hers doesn't get this bad.
Carly Jo

Let your Doc know about this ASAP. My husband went into anaphalactic shock from the dye, and he had 4 previous scans prior, without any reaction.
Susan

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders