Ground Glass Nodule

I am hoping that someone can help me. I have been sick for about 3 months. My symptoms are varied. I have had a lot of muscle weakness, fatigue, nausea, coughing to the point of vomiting, & tiring easily. I went to the ER approximately 1 1/2 mths ago because my chest & back were aching so bad that I couldn't take it anymore. They did multiple tests. My oxygen was radiating between 54 & 82. They gave me a breathing treatment & put me on oxygen for 6 hrs. After doing a CT & other tests, they determined that I had a 7mm "ground glass nodule" in my right lung, elevated white blood count, blood in my urine, low sodium level, high potassium level, & inflammation in my lungs. My physician said that he would redo my CT in 6 mths. Well, I got extremely sick today with vomiting 4 times & I have began sleeping 14 hrs a day. I returned to the ER. (This time my fiance' didn't go "because I was wasting my time", all I have is a slight cold according to him). They repeated my CT & other tests. Everything stayed the same, however, I now have enlarged lymph nodes in my lung. Does this mean I need to be concerned? I feel like a "cry baby" & I am 44 yrs old!! I feel horrible, but I am about to give up & just go with my illness so I am not accused of "faking it".

18 replies. Join the discussion

I went to emerg many times and they made me feel like a hypochondriac. Then a 2cm carcinoid was found in my lung it turned out to be 8cm.. Just had the last [art taken out.. All the weirdo symptoms gone..

If you have a ground glass nodule your doctor should be suspicious of malignancy .. If that's in a air way get it froze out asap.. 8mm is the best size to deal with those bastards.. You better goggle lung carcinoids up..

Now's the time to have a PET scan to see if anything lights up. Nodules could be anything from infection to inflammation. Lymph node swelling could also be from the same. With that size nodule, which is very small as it can't even be biopsied. You could have an autoimmune disease. It's best to find a good internal medicine doctor and let them figure it out. You won't get answers go to the ER all the time.
Take care, Judy

I agree with other posts, get to a new doctor, If their isn't blood and guts ER Drs are useless. Your oxgen levels at that Er vist were terrible, are you better now or still having breathing problems? My sister has COPD constant lung infections, she's always tired and weak.

Something is not right. Go to a pulmonologist and if you are already going to one change! I was 48 when my nodule was found and did not have any symptoms. it is highly doubtful that a 7mm nodule is causing these problems but you need to investigate further! A friend of mine had back pain for several months and no other symptoms. docs kept telling her it was a muscle issue and sent her to therapy. She felt something was wrong and changed doctors and insisted on a ct scat. She ended up with stage 1 lc. Be persistant with the doctors as your body is trying to tell you something. my gut has never been wrong. good luck.

I agree with with our inspire family,keep us informed,God bless.

I also had a "ground glass" image appearing on my scans for the past 2 years that seemed to be getting worse. I saw a pulmonologist for the first time in May and he put me on Prednisone to see if it might help. Well it most certainly did. It seems that the ground glass was just an unknown inflammation in my lungs and cleared up within weeks. The down side is that after the image cleared, there were enlarged lymph nodes found. So now I go for an Octreoscan this week.

Thank you everybody for the posts. I still don't feel very good. I go to the Dr Monday. I am going to tell him I want to see a Pulmonary Dr. I have had Bronchial Pneumonia twice a year since I was young. So I have that against me. And my Dad passed away at the age of 59 from complications of COPD. Wish me luck!

Sorry to hear all of this but your fiance doesn't sound too supportive. My husband went 3 times ER and once DR knowing something wasn't right. They kept telling him pulled muscle. I was extremely concerned because he doesn't alarm easily. I knew something was wrong. Nobody knows thee better than me......Kathy

You are not a cry baby. Your doctors are inept. Take it from one who was misdiagnosed with acid reflux and asthma for SIX YEARS before finally being diagnosed with by then Stage IV adenocarcinoma. Lung cancer is very hard to diagnose. Doesn't mean you are wrong to try to get it done.

A good pulmonologist is a good place to start. Regarding your fiance, people who care about you don't like to think you are sick, but very often rally well if the need is there.

Hopefully, this is nothing, and very possibly that's so. But you need to know to your satisfaction.

All best,
Diana

Hi,
I had very similar symptoms, 3 patchy ground glass opacities, enlarged nodes, (PGGO can be a sign of accumulated tumor cells or just infection) very afraid of re-occurrence, as it turned out I had gotten a flu shot, possibly unrelated, but within about two weeks these symptoms started showing up. It was awful for over 3 months. I thought it was back for sure, well it turns out I got a terrible case of pleurisy. They usually just have you treat it with rest and Advil or what have you.
It finally cleared up, but it took awhile.
Good luck. You ARE NOT A CRY BABY for goodness sake. Jeez.
Try not to think the worst.
Best,
Seraphina.

I had Radiation Pneumonitis, looks like ground glass on xray & CT scan. Very painful. I was put on Prednisone and it responded.

Please seek a pulmonologist and a 2nd opinion.
You're not a cry baby you simply need better treatments.
joan

Never ever listen to people who make you feel like a hypochondriac. Only the sufferer knows what he or she is going through. After my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer I have changed all my views about people who complain about aches and pains.
He never complained at all. Though he was in acute pain he walked around the room at night without telling me what he was going through! I got to know a little late and only after I got to know I took him to hospital where they diagnosed this terrible disease.
I prefer a hypochondriac anyday!! Atleast they let you know how they feel!
Don't worry and get all your check ups done.
Regards
Apra

Do you also have shortness of breath? It would probably benefit you to get a finger oximeter that measures your oxygen levels and keep a log. I had most of the same symptoms as you, plus shortness of breathe. I noticed my oxygen levels would drop when I got up. I also had the ground glass opacity. I had 2 sleep studies that revealed my oxygen dropping while lying flat as well. I was put on oxygen at night and when I was mobile. After a lot of blood tests, 3 CTs, a pulmonary function test, a 6 minute walk, a full heart catheterization, and an open lung biopsy, I was diagnosed with hypersensitivity pneumonitis two weeks ago. This whole process took 6 months to figure out and a progressive decline in my health and ability to function on a daily basis. I am on prednisone now and it is keeping my oxygen level up so far. I recommend you being an advocate for yourself and write down what you are experiencing. 6 months is too long for another CT. Too much lung damage can be done in that time frame. Good luck.

Do you have any permanent damage from the radiation pneumonitis? I was diagnosed with hypersensitivity pneumonitis 2 weeks ago and was told that I have lung damage. However, I don't know how much yet.

Any cancer treatment center or fiance who considers a patient with a "ground glass" lung XRay as "faking it" or "hypo" is absolutely no use to you. You may want to consider telling both of them that you do not appreciate their attitudes and if they don't change you will consider abandoning them both.

"Just a cold"? Good grief--how callous can you get?

You need care from one of the nationally-recognized cancer treatment centers--check out the ones nearest you on www.cancer.gov.

PET scan is an excellent recommendation.

Let us know how you get on.

I was treated in 2003 for 3b nsclc with chemo and radiation. That has left my lungs in pretty bad condition. There is much scarring and very little eleasticity in my right lung (where tumor was) I also have COPD and am on oxygen 24/7.
Thank God they have great portrable oxy tanks so I am not confined to the house.
Best doctor for this is a pulmonologist.
joan

I don't think your fiance understands what a ground glass nodule is? People don't normally throw up because they have a "slight" cold.

http://www.mghradrounds.org/index.php?src=gendocs&link=2006_august

I don't always trust pet scans. If the nodule isn't big enough it won't glow. I have had 2 cancers one less than a cm the other 3 cm. Neither one of them glowed. I had a Md who insisted on a biopsy. That is the way I would go but don't wait

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders