green tea

Has anyone heard that drinking green tea was a big no with chemo? I was told this by one person, husband is stage 4, drinks green tea, I dont understand?
Thanx,
Cindy

15 replies. Join the discussion

I've heard just the opposite - that green tea was good. I'm Stage IV and drink green tea every day.

(I deleted my last responses and combined them, just in case it seemed biased.)

Green Tea is an antioxidant, I think there is some debate about the use of antioxidants during chemotherapy and radiation. Some think it's good some say no way- stay away.

There's this discussion from a while back which might be useful, follow the links provided by members to learn even more:

http://www.inspire.com/groups/lung-cancer-survivors/discussion/anti-oxidant s-and-chemo/

I also found this article which seems to be the guide for medical professionals, and would explain why you were told to avoid the green tea:

http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/content/full/55/5/319

Hi Cindy, how are you? I have been giving my dad Matcha Tea, which is a stronger version of Green Tea. The nutritionist should you would have to drink about 8 cups of Green Tea to got the correct balance of antioxidant. Matcha Tea can be found at Health Food Store like Whole Foods, it comes in a powder form. My dad drinks 2 cups a day, currently doing chemo (carbo/alimta) and radiation to pelvic/lumber area.

Here are some links for you, hope that it helps:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/ask-dr-oz-cancer-edition-pt-1

(there is a part 1, 2, & 3) I would suggest watching all 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRlaw7UPzKo

Stay strong, sending lots of prayers, Julia

I was told not to take any extra antioxidant supplements but what is in food and/or drink is ok as long as you don't over do.

The naturopathic physicians I have consulted with have all recommended green tea and/or green tea supplements, including during chemo. So that's what I have done, and it has worked for me.

Best wishes,
Kathy

to Pat8,
My mom has the same type of cancer and she's starting chemo next week alitma/carboplatin...

Do you take anything else besides green tea to support your chemo?
God bless and stay well,

To: OLIVIA888:

My oncologist at Yale believes eating a well-balanced diet is the thing to do - - he does not believe that any one food is better or worse.

However, I have seen in many places that green tea, sweet potatoes and asparagus fight cancer cells. So, since I like all three, I try to eat as much of these as I can. Some people believe that cancer thrives on sugar -- I eat sweets and put sugar on my cereal, etc.

So I guess it's whatever makes you feel better. I'm going on my 5th year as a Stage IV survivor, so it seems that I'm doing the right things for me. Hard to say - each individual is different.

Good luck to your mother - with prayers and always with hope -- Pat J

I was told by my oncologist to avoid green tea, and other antioxidants such as vitamin C, during chemo as it works against the chemo - that you don't want to increase the efficiency of your immune system during chemo since chemo is designed to kill your body's fastest-growing cells (cancer, hair, etc.) and you don't want to interfere with that. After chemo, it's good and fine to use antioxidants. And that has worked very well for me - tumors shrinking, no metastases. But we each have our own opinions about what is best for us...

I drank it the entire time, I don't think anything like additives would be good, but in real people food, I think antioxidants work great!!
Did for me.

make it from dried tea leaves - chinese, or from tea bags - japanese, but stay away from ready-made, preserved and sweetened stuff in plastic bottles - i.e. american

"The naturopathic physicians I have consulted with have all recommended green tea and/or green tea supplements, including during chemo. So that's what I have done, and it has worked for me."

Best wishes,
Kathy

There it is. Some sanity prevails.

I have read so many good things about green tea and white tea is a cancer killer, I dont know about that but Jim does drink the green tea.
I watched the Dr Oz episode with the cancer info, thanks Julia!
I just read something from Feb 2011 that a study shows green tea works with chemo to kill lung cancer cells. Of course we cant believe everything we read, I did see one mention of a chemo drug, starts with a B that does not go well with it, or people that take blood thinners b/c vit K in the tea and prostate cancer pts should stay away. It doesnt include Jim so I ignored it anyway.
Seems like alot of pts post that it works well with side effects, to new to tell.
Thanks for the input pals!
Cindy

My doctor {who is the best in the world- :-) } told me at the begininng of treatment that I did not have any restrictions. So....I drank black tea and ate organic yougert and ate just about everything else I could get my hands on lol, drank wine and ate candy. But I tried to cut back on the sugar (not too successfully because I have a wicked sweet tooth) today I am in remission. I am back to walking on the treadmill everyday and trying to lose weight but feeling good, I just started drinking green tea about a month ago..I love it!! I will say...drink it!!

I didnt have any extra supplements during chemo, just a good healthy diet!! My onc advised me not to take anything extra in case it reacted badly with the chemo. I was always concered that if i was giveing my healthy cells an extra boost i was also doing the same for my bad cancer cells ! However, I am no expert, so i cannot advise , but i always think of the saying " too much of a good thing".... everything in moderation..Best wishes, Sarah.

None of my doctors restricted any type of food or drink while in treatment.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders