graviola?

Hi there. Do any of you have any experience with taking graviola to treat lung cancer? Any reason NOT to try it?

28 replies. Join the discussion

Any reason not to take it? internet said it can cause parkinson disease. However, where I am from everybody eat lots of Graviola as it's a very common fruit. I never heard about parkinson before I came to US.

My dad is currently taking Graviola pills, actual frozen fruit, as well as the graviola tea from its leaf. He also had conventional chemo and radiation and his tumor is shrinking.

I don't want to add to misinformation, but I was diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IIIB in 2008 after they discovered a tumor that was the size of a grapefruit in my lung, and was told about graviola from a friend who practices Chinese medicine and had also successfully taken it for breast cancer (she had had one round of chemo and swore never to go through it again). My oncologist is now telling me they didn't expect me to live. I was also treated with chemo and radiation, but I took graviola pretty religiously 2-3 times a day along with it and went into remission after four months of pretty grueling treatment. Was it the chemo/radiation I received or the graviola, or both? I'll never know for sure, but I sure I am glad I took it.

One more thing: I stayed on it for a couple of years after that, and I've had NO side effects of parkinson's... I also read that article on the internet, and have never heard of anyone taking it that experienced that.

Doug -
Where did you buy graviola? I've been looking to get some for my Mom and can't find it anywhere!! I did read about Parkinson's too, but I believe that is if you eat it excessively. With anything that is consumed excessively, there are always pros and cons!

Has anyone heard of paw paw? I heard this is also beneficial in curing cancer.

Just google it, or do a search on Amazon. Raintree Nutrition, where I normally got mine, was put out ofbusiness by the FDA Jan. 1st. I was very trusting of Raintree and their products, am hoing the other companies I'm seeing selling it are as reputable.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for sharing. Are you eating the fruit or drinking the leaf tea or both? My dad stageIV lc, we gave him the leaf tea for 1 month already prior to his chemo/radiation, he's also eating the fruit once in awhile. So far he's having a good sleep and his color is better now, looks healthier unlike before he's too pale.

He's through with 2nd chemos and 1 radiation, and we still give him the tea after 5 hours of treatment. So far, no much side effects like nausea/vomitting thanked god. We hope and pray that he will continue to do well and we will include you as well in our prayers that you continue to be healthy, pls update us thanks and God Bless...ghie

Ghie,

I took graviola tablets daily... I know you can buy it to be prepared as a tea, but I never did that. As far as the "fruit" you're referring to, graviola is a leaf in the Amazon jungle, from my understanding. You can find a lot of information on Google if you search for it. You can also find quite a few health food stores that are selling Graviola tablets. I took them for about two years… the practitioner I know also took them for about that length of time. there are no side effects whatsoever from what I experienced, despite claims they can cause Parkinsonian symtoms. Ghie, I hope you keep posting, would like to know more about your father's progress.

Hi,

I take Graviola too in capsule form. i am also on chemo. I continue to have shrinkage with no parkinson symptoms. I read it is good for depression. I think don't take anything to excess.

Best,

Sonya

Hi all,

isn't graviola, paw paw and soursop all one and the same plant?

BR, Meli

Hi!! Just to tell you that I´m brazilian, and know graviola very well. It´s a fruit, and its juice is very popular in our country, especially in Northeast. It´s very good to drink!

Thanks Doug, whats the graviola pill made of? Is it a mixture of leaf and bark?..We're from philippines and there's lots of graviola/soursop tree here, we call it Guyabano. We give our dad the leaf tea, i add some bark on it (Read the 2 are the most potent for cancer). The graviola fruits are widely consumed here and never heard of any parkinson's like side effect..

Dad had his 2nd radiation today, and before his dinner i made him the tea 30 minutes before meal. I was observing him while having his dinner tonight, he was eating well (i don't see him having no appetite at all which others says is a common side effect of chemo/radiation) he's more on fish and veggies now, and some fruits mango and graviola/soursop fruit .We're also giving him pure Barley which is highly alkaline and rich in chlorophyll which i researched could help with blood count. His platelet now has increased a lot ( i believe its because of graviola and barley which helps increase platelets).Hoping and praying that he continues to do well.God Bless us all

Hi meli,

Graviola and soursop are the same. Paw paw is different fruit but its a cousin of graviola from what i researched so it belonged to same family/specie..ghie

My cancer was pretty advanced; by the time we found it in the lung, the tumor had grown sometime within an 8-month period and was the size of a grapefruit. My oncologist put me on two chemotherapy drugs: cisplatin and taxotere. I continued to take the graviola, but my appetite definitely suffered from feeling so weak and sick from the chemo. If your father gradually eats less and less after he's been on the chemo for awhile, don't be discouraged. I was also treated with radiation (high dose) toward the last couple of months of my chemotherapy treatment, but it didn't cause me to feel any worse re: nausea or weakness (throat soreness, but I'd make myself eat, even if it hurt). Everyone reacts differently. I hope you and Stargirl will continue to post re: any progress you observe.

The distressing thing about graviola in the U.S. is that the FDA continue to find ways to shut down companies who are selling it; Raintree Nutrition, where I got mine, finally closed on Jan. 1st because they got so tired of being hassled by the FDA. The scary thing is that if it becomes well-known that graviola works, will the big pharmaceutical companies find a way to stop its distribution so they can continue to make money off chemotherapy drugs?

If you do research on mangosteens, you'll also find there is some cancer prevention aspects to that fruit. I live in San Francisco, and was able to purchase it (not cheaply) in Chinatown here. Mangosteen extract can also be purchased through health food stores in tablet form.

Ash,

I ordered the Graviola from www.raysaheian.com. I dont know which caused the sprinkle, but I was stable and upped the curcurmin, green tea and added graviola...I also take IP6 and AHCC...so its hard to say what causes the shrinkage. I am just glad I have it. -:) It also says it is the same as soursop. I dont know about paw paw. It has the leaf and the stem.

Thanks all for sharing...the more infor we have, the better we are.

Regards,

Sonya

Hi doug, how are you doing lately? My dad about to finish his 6th chemo and i think 7-8th radiation. You're right when you said before that little by little he will loose his appetite. Actually, he's still eating well until he felt a severe sore throat which caused him to eat less because it hurts. So now we got problem because he is feeling weak, he said he's hungry but he cant eat well.

His doc prescribed a mouthwash and lozenges, it works sometimes though. He's still drinking the graviola leaf tea, and its the only time that he be able to sleep after chemo. It really keeps him awake for long hours. I wonder if there's other herbal or meds that gives relief to sore throat? Our dad need it badly so he can eat more, we're worried that he will loose weight more if this cant be resolve. Any input will be greatly appreciated thanks and God bless..ghie

I remember the sore throat very well. It was from the radiation, and I was also prescribed a mouthwash with lidocaine in it. I can't say that it helped very well. I finally made myself eat (I remember forcing myself to eat a burrito one night, even though it hurt like hell, just to get some nutrition!). I recommend buying some Ensure at Walgreens or any other drug store... I lived on it, and the recommendation is about six cans a day for average daily nutrition. It also helps keep the weight on. When does your father's oncologist plan to do another PET scan?

Just remembered I think you said you lived in the Philippines, ghie. Ensure is a protein drink that's sold here in the United States. I'm sure they probably have something comparable in the Philippines. Also, things like ice cream and cold drinks are easier to get down when your throat is hurting so badly. How are your father's labs? Are his platelets continuing to be stable?

Stargirl, how is your progress?

Graviola - Annona muricata so nice to read someone has taken this with success! I was on this for awile but then read to be careful with blood pressure. Thank you for posting the info. Mine is from herbs america..do you think that is a relaible source?

Jann: haven't heard about any blood pressure issues with graviola either. There appear to be a lot of precautions and warnings re: the herb, but have never heard of anyone experiencing amythong. Regarding your situation, no one can tell you what state your body is in except a doctor or oncologist. Call the American Cancer Society and explain your situation; the longer you wait, the more you're playing with fire. I'm also a nurse, but my health comes first, otherwise my patients inevitably end up suffering. You have a son that sounds like he would be affected by anything serious re: your health too. I hope I'm not sounding preachy, but I urge you to stop procastinating and do something to help yourself NOW. Nurses are notorious for being codependent and denying their own issues by focusing on others instead; if there's anything cancer taught me, it's that my health comes first. Make a serious effort to get checked out TODAY, even if it means going to an ER ASAP. This is a serious disease.

Hi doug..We also have Ensure here.His doc prescribed him Nutren, 7 scoops 2x a day. Its more suitable for elderly people who needs more nutrition (my dad in his 70's already). Can't give him ice cream because most of the time he has coughs, but his water a little cold. Its summertime here and its really hot. His labs..platelets still "adequate" although his hemoglobin sometimes goes lower than normal, we believe its due to chemo therapy..

He was also given a mouthwash and lozenges. I read about baking soda mixed with salt and water as Gargle, we noticed that some thick liquid comes out of his mouth and he felt relief afterwards. I think its the bacteria that causes the infection? He can eat more after he gargles the mixture with baking soda,salt. after the 6th cycles of chemo then he'll have a citi scan. By the way, his onc is giving him 33 sessions of radiation,is it the normal approach? My sister says that most of the patients that she gets to talk with have the same number of session in radio therapy (radiation)..

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders