A Poem for those who have lost a loved one....

When my Mom passed away at the end of January my Mother in Law sent me this poem. It touched me so much that my husband read it at Mom's service. It brought me and my siblings comfort and I hope it does the same for all of you:

God looked around in Heaven
And found the perfect place.
He looked down upon the earth
And saw your sweet tired face.

He put his arms around you
And lifted you to rest.
God's garden must be beautiful
He always takes the best.

He saw the road was getting rough
And the hills were hard to climb.
So he closed your weary eyelids
And whispered "peace be thine."

It broke our hearts to lose you
But you didn't go alone.
For part of us went with you
The day he called you home.

Take care,

Jodi

Edited March 21, 2009 at 3:24 pm

24 replies. Join the discussion

jodi
thanks for sharing that was beautiful
leen

Jodi - I hope you're doing okay.

XO
Pam

It is indeed a most beautiful and appropriate poem. I understand why it touched you so, and thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.
**Many Hugs****
Marylou

Hey Pam,

I'm doing pretty well. How about you? I loved this poem so much that I wanted to share it with everyone. I thought of you, Maria, Sharmi, Tracy, Jill and people like Mary and Gigi who lost their parents in the last couple of days. It's so very sad!

Take Care,
Jodi

Thank you so much Jodi--it is so beautiful and so fitting! Thank you so much for your thoughtfullness--what a great cyberfriend! I hope you are feeling God's peace and comfort as well! Thank you for your support!

That was one of the most beautiful poems I have ever read. May God bless you with his peace and comfort.
Pam

Thank you for sharing .

Dana

Thanks for sharing. That poem gave me goosebumps.

Jodi,
I lost my husband on August 11, 2008, he was 54. I struggle everyday without him. Thank you for the poem, I have to make a copy so I can read when I feel down.
Thank you for sharing, its a tough recovery.
Janet

It touched me as well. Thanks for sharing.

Reba J

thank you jodi
maria

Hi Janet,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I am glad that you liked the poem and find some comfort in it. I keep a copy with me as well for a reminder when I'm feeling down and missing my Mom.

Take care and God Bless,

Jodi

Thank you so much for sharing that. It's the perfect poem. My mom died 6 weeks ago today. My siblings and our spouse will be traveling to Florida in 2 months to have a burial at sea for her. It will be in the exact location we put my dad 6 months ago. I know I will read that poem. Thank you.
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I am so glad that you liked the poem and will use it at your Mom's burial. Like I said, it brought us comfort and seemed to "speak" to all of us so much that we read it at Mom's service. My Mom passed away 2 months ago today... It's a good day to re-read the poem.

Take care,
Jodi

I wanted to post this again for my friend Cindy who just lost her Dad this week and for anyone else who has lost a loved one recently. I hope it helps in some small way.

Thanks for the poem. It is lovely.

Sheila

My pleasure. So glad you liked it.

Thank you for sharing I lost my husband in March, 2007, and sometimes it still feels like yesterday. It truly is a beautiful poem

Hugs and Prayers coming your way.

Janet

Jodi, I lost my wife this past Feb to nsclc. She was only 45. This poem briught tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this. Take care.
Bob.

Oh Bob, I am so sorry to hear about your wife. She was so young. I'm glad the poem touched you as it did me. Losing our loved ones is hard but I know we will get through it taking it day by day. Take careof yourself, Bob.

Jodi

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders