Foot Drop

Does any here know anything about foot drop? I have been living with this for about a year now, my doctors have not been very helpful and I'm tired of stumbling and falling because my foot drags. Is there any help for this? It has really affected my quality of life.

10 replies. Join the discussion

Any oncologist should know gait changes are red flags for a number of things, including brain mets, so get a second opinion or change doctors if you continue to feel yours are being dismissive.

Insist on a brain MRI if you haven't had one already.

Hi, Tina! So good to hear from you! I am an Rn and the only footdrop I dealt with was do to people staying in bed and their feet kind of falling forward until the tendons shrink and cause the foot to have that abnormal position. Have you had it long?

We would do exercises where you make a sling like contraption and use it to lean over and pull the foot up to the 90 degree angle that is normal. Physical therapy can help tremendously if it has ony been a short while .

Also, Wearing high-top sturdy sneakers give the foot more supprt so you can walk normally.

It may be just temporary as a result of your recent procedure- even so- I would do the exercising and sneaks.

Big hug and hope all gets better with that.

Sorry, Tina, I just re-read your message and see that half of what I said is irrelevant because it's been going on for a year. It is very poor- that the doctors allowed this to develop- It is very preventable.

I still would try the couple of things I suggested to improve it.
Take care!

Yes, it has been quite awhile since this all started and every mention of my walking problems just seemed to fall on deaf ears. The only reason I even have a name for it is it was mentioned once by the PA. I finally went on-line and got some information and realized I should have been having therapy long ago. Why does it seem that I've had to become my own doctor if I want to get the best, (not even so much the best) but the standard of care. Oh well, I'm on in now, with the help of my friends at LCA.
Thanks for your input Bizezgrrrl
Love you Marion!

Tina, I developed foot drop in my left foot 3 days after my right lung was removed in Aug 2006, just woke up that morning, tried to get out of the bed and almost fell.Before I was released from the hospital a man from a brace shop came and took a cast of my foot to make a brace that fit down inside my shoe. I was fitted for it a few days later.
I also had two therapy sessions, just to learn the excerices as I didn't have insurance and could not afford the outrageous cost. The young man told me he doubted I would ever get over it, he sold me a $10.00 Stimulator, showed me how to use it and said good luck. I guess it was about a month later when I started to notice I was gaining feeling and use of the foot again. Even today if I walk to much, stand to long, dance to hard, that foot gets weak.
I'm so sorry that the Drs. didn't refer you to someone. I was told , as stated already that a pair of boots or high top shoes of any kind would basically do what the brace did for me. It is the strangest feeling to drag a foot around and it is dangerous. Bless your heart, I don't think it is to late to start some type of therapy. I have had to be my own advocate, I live alone, and I've learned to be persistant. You have been through alot, I will keep you in my prayers, you are an inspiration to me.
Rose

Rose, What would we do if we didn't have sites like these to share our experiences and gain knowledge from each other. I've suffered with it far too long only because of the lack of action from my doctors leading me to believe not only was this irreversible, which it may be especially since so much time has passed since it began,
but that there was nothing out there to relieve some of the symptoms. I have always attributed the foot drop to my brain mets or the treatments but I have also had lung surgery so now I have to wonder about that. But does it really matter why? I don't know.
Thanks so much for your input. Keep dancing!

hi tinaIrena

i'm a doctor of chiropractic and we often see foot drop as a result of an issue in the lower spine that can put pressure on the nerves that go to the legs and feet and cause the muscle to be atonic.
i'm not familiar with your medical history and case but foot drop shouldn't be dismissed.
i'm sorry your doctors didn't address this issue.
is there someone else in your area you can consult? perhaps someone who deals with physical medicine?
all the best to you, and finding someone to assist you with this problem.
sincerely,
drt

I was thinking about the spine, too, as healthdoc mentioned. In addition to a brain scan, I would insist on a CT or MRI of the spine.

I would certainly try Marions suggestios.Idon't think its too late for improvement just mabe slower or not all the way.Prayers AndiB

Hi Tina,
I developed foot drop after radiation to my spine. I found a fabulous electronic leg brace that is the best thing since slice bread. The company to investigate is call WalkAide. It is an electronic band you wear below the knee. What it does is stimulate the nerves down your leg to pick up your foot as you walk and swing your hip through. They will test you first to make sure your nerves will respond to the electrodes. Wearing a regular brace will not pick up your hip and swing your leg threw. This will help you walk normally. Look at their website and send for a brochure and CD to see what it can do. The website is walkaide.com. They have 700 locations throughout the US.

In my case I continued to deterioate until I could not walk anymore. I have spinal cord damage due to radiation to my spine. I did use the WalkAide for about 5 months before I lost both legs.

Janet

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders