fluid in empty lung space

Hello, me again I am the caregiver to a man who 5 weeks ago had left lung removed,non small cell lung cancer stage 3.After surgery he still feels week (BEEN FIVE WEEKS) AND HE IS CONSTANTLY GAGING LIKE AND SEEMS TO HAVE FLUID. iS THIS NORMAL OR WILL IT GO AWAY,ALSO HOW OFTEN SHOULD HE BE PUFFING ON SPIROMETER AND HOW OFTEN TAKING WALKS,i AM SORRY TO SAY BUT DOCTORS DON'T SEEM TO TELL YOU TOO MUCH.THANX FOR ANY ADVICE

6 replies. Join the discussion

I would go see the Dr asap. I had same surgery 5 weeks ago too. If it is fluid, it should be addressed. Gagging is not normal.
best wishes

If the doctor is not addressing his concerns, then get a new doctor. Have him see a pulmonary doctor. They will work with him on respiratory therapy. Is he laying down to sleep? This could cause mucous build-up.
Hope he gets relief ASAP. Take care, Judy

I didn't have any gagging or cough but I did have fluid in space where lung was removed, because there took so much of right lung, and because they had trouble closing the air leak, and because it wouldn't re connect. The fluid has gradually gone away, but it took several months. I also had a feeling like there was something stuck in my throat for months, still kind of do, that was because the windpipe, n all that had tilted to the empty space where my right lung used to be.......all this fun, and pretty soon everyone will want to have a lung out lol just kidding. Good luck to him, but as the others said talk to the Dr. :)

I also agree that the gagging is not "normal" and should be mentioned to your doc. My right lung was removed three years ago, and the space initially filled with fluid, but that fluid was contained in the new space. Do be aware that the removal of a complete lung may also result in the surgeon moving the airway, esophagus and possibly the heart toward the open space (to allow the remaining lung to grow/develop more capacity). I am guessing that this movement (of the airway and esophagus) could be the possible cause of the gagging. I have also heard that damage caused by intubation during surgery can result in throat/vocal chord irritation.
I wish you well and will keep you and your survivor in prayer. Allan

hi my partner had his right lung removed in jan he does cough a lot and sometimes he's sick but its just bile that comes up its yellow in colour , he's been back to dr but all they seem to give him is different cough bottles very annoying it feels like now they have took his lung out thats them done with us xx

Thank you all for the answers,pretty much all sound similar,especially see the doc,which is tomorrow so hopefully will get some more answers. Thank again! Sure I will be back good luck to u all blesses!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders