Feeling like he's burning up inside, but no fever

Mike, my husband is now on Hospice care. He's complained the last month or so about feeling like he's burning up inside, yet he has no fever. He hasn't talked to the Hospice nurse about this yet so we don't know if this is common with stage IV lung cancer. This feeling seems to come and go randomly.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you been told why?

Thanks so much!

SharonLM

11 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Sharon,
Is the burning all over or in specific areas? Mum has stage 4 with , diagnosed 3 months ago and currently on first line if chemo and she has been complaining of strong burning sensation in her stomach and back. This has been bothering her quite a lot. She has no fever or redness. It is relieved with massage but only temporarily. I received advise from another member here to use reflexology- foot massage. Also my mum has been going for acupuncture with a Chinese practitioner and said that really helps but again only for a day or two.
Hope some of this helps. Chaya

Thanks Chaya: Mike isn't on any chemo or we would probable have attributed it to that. His burning sensation is basically in the chest area. He says from lower neck to waist.

He also, upon further questioning said it also feels similar to a "raw" feeling.

It's so hard to describe pain and sensations and my husband is one of the worst when it comes to descriptions of pain.

Just wondering what this burning feeling, as if he has a fever on the inside/raw burning sensation is and if there is anything he can take (medications) to relieve this.

Definitely mention to the nurses. They should be able to help relieve the discomfort.

Thanks Denzie, I will do that. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this burning sensation and if they had found out what it is. Once in the past something had happened and when we asked the nurse she was as dumbfounded as us. A totally different occurence from this burning sensation, but still, she was clueless. Many times I learn more from this board than I do from the doctors or nurses.

Still hoping someone will recognize this and respond.

Am wondering now if this might be neuropathy. There are times that the places where I experience neuropathy feel like they are burning.

this is a shot in the dark but 2 ozs of aloe Vera juice may soothethe burning sensation. AV is such healing stuff.

I've had burning sensation as a side effect of tarceva.

Good luck

Alan

this is a shot in the dark but 2 ozs of aloe Vera juice may soothethe burning sensation. AV is such healing stuff.

I've had burning sensation as a side effect of tarceva.

Good luck

Alan

Thanks Alan, sure worth a try!

You're welcome Sharon. I buy it by the gallon. I find it most soothing to sip it into an empty stomach. I think my intestine lining was "dry". So good hydration probably will help. AV is a mild laxative. I often found need to take it in the middle of the night as one more trick to help me sleep. It will keep in a fridge for many months in my experience.

good luck

Alan

Could this be "radiation recall?" I've heard about this phenomena when radiation and chemo combine to have a bad reaction.

Good luck to us all.

David O.

David, I've never heard of radiation recall. Mike had chemo and radiation combined, but that was over four years ago. I think I'll look that up.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders