Feeling better after chemo, maybe even feeling good

Is there ever a time after chemo treatments begin (and/or radiation for that matter) that you ever feel kind of back to normal, maybe even good? Since my husband's dx of ext SCLC, 5 rounds of radiation and 2 chemo tx's, he hasn't felt anything but bad (miserable even). There hasn't been a day when he's said, "gee, I feel ok today!" I understand SCLC vs NSCLC, but if you never feel good, or even ok, what am I missing about the point of treating? I'm not being negative nor discourgaing him, nor would I, but this suffering is mind-boggling. He NEVER gets a break from suffering, and I'm not just talking about pain. Despite the nausea pills, hydration, neuprogen, etc., he's never better. Am I missing something here or is this just the way it is? I know he'll never go into remission, but this just seems crazy and I don't get where he is drawing his strength to go on (it certainly isn't from his low white cell count @ 1.3 when they released him from the hosp once his double pnemonia stablized, according to them). I don't mean to upset anyone with my feeling this futility and pray I won't! Also, are there pills to increase your white cell count? He was getting the neuprogen shots while in the hospital, but nothing now that he's been released and is back home. His count is far from back to normal. Perhaps just taking a break from chemo as the dr. is planning for a bit will automatically increase his white cell count? Prayers for all, and hugs, too! God bless you all - you are such brave souls!!

12 replies. Join the discussion

I was dx stage IV nsclc in Jan 2011, mat to spine that affected my left arm. Had pheural effusion for 5 months that made my breath not smooth. Started avastin/carbon/taxol for 3 cycles since June. Now, everything back to normal except hair loss. My doc said I can go back to work. I ate 4 egg white everyday(try best) to keep my blood count normal. Never get problem with blood count during chemo.

It is miracle that my left arm can move again. It is great that I have no symptom after 6 months treatment.

Hope the info helps.

Wallace

I like you wonder the same exact thing my husband has small cell and was diagnosed august 2010 and i can not believe the amount of suffering he has had to endure. when first diagnosed he had chipped a tooth and the oncologist told him to have any dental work done before he started chemo well his dentist insisted that he have all his teeth taken out (he had alot of work done on his teeth prior to his diagnosis but his teeth were ok) 2 weeks later he started chemo and then radiation which burned his esophagus so bad they put him on pain killers so while his gums were healing he couldnt eat and the chemo made him throw up. after he finished all that he had brain radiation and he started to get migraine headaches they oncologist said his brain had swelled. now he has what they think is nerve damage from the chemo he just got out of the hospital after being there for 8 days his pain level is off the charts and they spent the whole time pumping him with pain killers so much so he was hallucinating. i still cant believe what he has had to endure and he never ever gets a break!!! it kills me to watch him suffer so bad i dont know what the answers are and it is so difficult to be so helpless and not be able to help the one you love. hugs tracy

Hi, I have the same thing happenind to my wife since her chemo treatments ,never ever fells good had been in hospital , with a serious lung infection,had had a mouth infection, feels terrible every day , the only time she was better was when she got 2 pints of blood . The dr. can give your husband a shot of Neulasta wich will bring his blood count up white cells , Billyv7

I'm so sorry your husband (and the other posters) had such a rough time.

I too took a Neulasta shot after every chemo cycle and it wiped me out for about 3 days (aches/pains/fatigue) but it kept my white cells high. Severe anemia was my problem (low hemoglobin/red cells) and I now have had three transfusions at various times. After each of those I had so much more energy, so be sure and see what the red cell count is.

After this vigorous treatment, there will probably be a "breather" with no treatments for a matter of months. I felt better day after day during that hiatus...but then started chemo again. That's the nature of the beast...

Hopefully no more hospital trips and a less rocky road ahead. I know how hard it is for the family...stay strong.

My best to you and your husband...

Toni

I am sorry that your husband and others are having so many problems. I will say that things got better for me after treatment was completed. I was diagnosed with Ext. SCLC and treated from 12/06 through 10/07. We are all different in what effects us depending on age, health, and just the different chemos and our bodies.
Hopefully treatment will bring a NED and better health.
God Bless.

My mom didn't have radiation, but she did go through 6 cycles of chemo (carboplatin/VP16) and felt so much better than any of us ever expected. She improved dramatically over how she felt upon diagnosis. She had many good days and great ones too. She cooked up a storm at Christmas and Thanksgiving and went to Vegas with me.

I hope your husband catches a break and is able to enjoy some time with friends, family, and life!

Wow Debra! Are you saying you haven't treated since 2007? If so, that's WONDERFUL and amazing. At the risk of sounding ignorant, and I don't mean to sound discouraging, I didn't think there was ever an extended remission like yours with ext SCLC, I really didn't! That's so encouraging!! Thank you for sharing and congratulations Debra! :-)

Wow Debra! Are you saying you haven't treated since 2007? If so, that's WONDERFUL and amazing. At the risk of sounding ignorant, and I don't mean to sound discouraging, I didn't think there was ever an extended remission like yours with ext SCLC, I really didn't! That's so encouraging!! Thank you for sharing and congratulations Debra! :-)

That is what I am saying.....and there are several on our site that have been NED for longer than me.... You are right with SCLC but remember there are fewer of us to start with....only about 15-20% of all lung cancer diagnosis is Small Cell.

Thank you Debra! That's a side you don't usually hear about. So encouraging!! Have a wonderful and happy life...I hope my husband can eventually join you and his suffering will stop!

Thank you so much for your sharing. This is what I am working for. With God's help and the support of family and friends and this site I know in my heart it can become reality for me. God bless all who read this site. Love to all, Jo Ann

i was so shocked to hear of debra's news with sclc, i never heard of anyone being ned for that long.. I just lost my mom to it.. she was diag in nov 2010 and she just passed the 12th... she also did very well with the first 6 months of chemo.. had a great scan and then everything went back downhill, pneumonia, back on full time oxygen.. had another scan and everything was back but worse... she tried chemo one more time and then she stopped and requested hospice as the doctor said because it came back so fast their really wasnt any hope... very discouraging, but my mother did not want to do chemo again, she thought it would be years before she would have to... so sad, i miss her so much.. god bless you and everyone on this board...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders