feeding tube in stomach. please help

They want to put a feeding tube in my dads stomach.my mom is very scared.very scared.please help me help her.I need some info so I can help her understand he needs it.hes not eating much at all.maybe like a few hundred calories a day.he's tried magace ,maranol.he's very weak and dehyrdrated.I want to get my dad better and continue treatment .and beat this this cancer.she's so scared the feeding tube is a bad thing.she's so scared about this.

14 replies. Join the discussion

I think it is hard to say either way. Feeding tube may not always work and there is risk of infection.

Whatever you and your Mom decide along with your dad just have no regrets. Make the decision and never look back. Different things work with different people. We are not all the same. God bless.

Is infection common?

Not if you're shown how to take care of it for when he goes home. You must have a Visiting Nurse Assoc. in your area and they can help out. Being dehyrated is worse than being hungry. They can usually give him something through the hydration IV, so I would ask why the feeding tube and for how long? Wishing you all the best. Take care, Judy

In a person who is able to eat, a feeding tube would be to supplement to get the person additional nutrition. If feeding tubes cause infections they must be very minimal infections because I have never had a patient with feeding tube infection. The insertion is done, minimally invasive, with a local and sedation. Not under general anesthesia. What your dad would probably have is what's called bolus feeds. He would be allow or encouraged to eat and then given cans of food throughout the day to make sure he is getting enough nutrition. His medications can be crushed and also given through the tube. The only thing is to make sure you flush with enough water (yes regular tap water) after giving meds or feedings so the tube does not get clogged. Prayers to you and your family.
Vickie

They want the tube because he losing to much weight.he can't eat really anything because of the nausea and no appetite .they want to get something going in him.he has lost probly 20 pounds in the last 3 weeks.plus he's 78 and very weak right now.he was the hardest working man I know 2 months ago .now he can't Evan walk with all the treatment and meds and the cancer.I'm so sad .my little 3 and half year old baby girl was crying this morning and wanting to see him . Him and my mom has babysat since she was born 5 days a week .they are best friends .he's her world and she is his.

The chances of infection are not high with a tube feeding, it is a very thin single tube that easily inserts into a very small incision the surgeon puts in the stomach through the front.
It really never seemed to be bothersome to any of the patients I had with it, and it kept them hydrated well, and fed.
Not to say it has to stay in, many keep them in to build their strength up.
When they can not eat and drink on their own.
It can then be easily taken out, and the very small slit like incision usually heals nicely.
It is not a big deal to have done, and is something good to do if you need to regain strength when you are unable to eat for whatever reason.
I would say do not be troubled by it at all.
If it means good health could return then go for it.
Tell your mom from a professional nurse, I have seen them in many patients, and none of them ever had any infection or any problems from them.
They work nicely for what they are needed to do, and that is bring some nutrition into dads stomach.
God bless Sandy

Matt,
I am so sorry things are so hard for him right now. I would definitely suggest the feeding tube to supplement nutrition, gain strength, get protein, ect. Being that he doesnt have another condition that prevents him from taking food/fluids by mouth, which he doesnt, once his is back on his feet the tube can be removed. Or he can keep it, flush it, and have for backup. I am so sorry your baby girl misses him so much. When they are young and cant understand what is going on it is that much harder on us and them. I pray that God gives your family strength right now when you need it most. Be strong!! Blessings!
Vickie

Thank you all so much .its helps a lot.

The tube is a very easy and minor procedure, nutrition is essential, the feedings are easy to learn so tell your mom it can only help!

Hello,

I agree with everyone that has already answered you but I thought I would put my 2 cents in, too. I was an endoscopy nurse for 18 years and assisted the doctors putting in feeding tubes. They used to be done by surgeons in the OR but today they are usually done in the Endoscopy Lab by a gastroenterologist. The patient is sedated, the endoscopy scope goes through the mouth and into the stomach and the doctor will look for the light from the scope that can be seen through the skin to decide where the best site is for the incision. He will make an incision (the incision site will have a local so the incision will not be felt) and the feeding tube will be pulled through the mouth and out of the incision. There is a little balloon in the stomach side that keeps it from being pulled through the skin. It only takes a short period of time to do this and I cannot recall a problem with infection. It is not difficult to learn how to feed him through the tube. He should not be uncomfortable with the tube in place and he will be able to gain strength once he is getting nourishment. I hope this is not confusing, that I have explained the procedure and that I have helped to alleviate the apprehension. My best wishes with your decision.

Gail

Thanks so much .everybodys help makes feel alot better.

The gi doc showed up and calmed my mom down and wants to start with a tube in the nose first.he said why do the stomach tube right now .he wants To wait to see if can eat on his own now that they halted tarceva.

They tried the one in the nose 4 times ,but could not get it.my dad said it hurt very bad,and he was gagging the whole time.after 4 tries I told them we have to try something else.so still waiting.

Matt,

Everything posted so far is awesome information. My husband just had a stomach feeding tube put in on Tuesday of this week. Originally he had a nose tube for about three days before he coughed it out. Apparently that is how they come out.

The procedue took about 20-30 minutes under a local with a mild sedative. He is now getting nutrition 24 hours on a continuous feed cycle. Home care nurses made their first visit when he was discharged yesterday. One nurse comes in the morning and another in the evening. They are wonderful people who can offer lots of valuable advice - in our case about pain management. Eventually once his system gets used to food again (his bowles are all buggered up because he has basically been starving) they will condense the feed into a shorter time frame.

One thing to consider is to get two IV poles for the house if it is a two story - saves carrying the pole up and down the stairs!

It you have any questions you can PM me.
Tracy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders